Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KISS setup - WML mounting on MOE mlok handguard

Feedback Score

KISS setup - WML mounting on MOE mlok handguard

Hey guys, I’m looking to piece out a sort of KISS setup - 16” Colt carbine, light as possible, keeping it simple with just a polymer MOE mlok handguard and FSB.

I want to mount a white light on the rifle - probably a Surefire G2X or maybe some scout style light. What would be the optimum mounts to achieve this? I understand the MOE handguards out right now are MLOK, so theoretically should be able to use any mlok mount, but since many of the mlok mounts out there seem to be made more for the longer free float mlok handguards, i wanted to see if there’s mounts that would be optimum for this particular handguard (shorter, with A2 FSB, using thumb to a actuate tail cap).

Prior research shows the IWC SMC mounts to be promising, as well as the Magpul light rail mount or their cantilever mounts. Any experience with them?

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    May I suggest a slightly different approach...MOE SL handguard with a Mossie Midnight 1913 FSB Mount and Surefire X300U (photos shown on the Arisaka site) or the new Modlite PL350
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    FWIW I have two mid length uppers with MOE handguards and FSB using the IWC SMC mounts and 1" Streamlights. Perfect for my long arms using thumb-to-tailcap.

I just bought another SMC mount for a carbine length upper with an MOE SL and FSB. I have not mounted the light yet, but I know it will be an improvement on the current mount.

I have experimented on that upper with the Magpul Cantilever mount and their V-Block and rings, but it wasn't ideal. IIRC the light wasn't as tucked in toward the handguard as well as the IWC mount is on the other uppers.
    Honor Necessity

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    May I suggest a slightly different approach...MOE SL handguard with a Mossie Midnight 1913 FSB Mount and Surefire X300U (photos shown on the Arisaka site) or the new Modlite PL350
    I really like this setup. Used Phlster's ARC long switches to get a little extra reach backwards.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you wanted to maximize the short MOE real estate for hand placement you could use something like this:

https://www.gggaz.com/the-dually-dua...ory-mount.html or this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003375327

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I intend to do as the Fleeting Survival Blog author did after I get the light I want. https://fleetingsurvival.com/2015/09...-sl-handguard/

Feedback Score
    About how many mags can you shoot off at a decent rate before you think the light would be too hot to the touch? Am looking to also do some high volume shooting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    About how many mags can you shoot off at a decent rate before you think the light would be too hot to the touch? Am looking to also do some high volume shooting.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The light with one of those setups probably won't get hot until you've put 4 or 5 mags through the gun. The handguards on the other hand are going to be quite toastie after 2 mags shot at a fairly rapid pace.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    I really like this setup. Used Phlster's ARC long switches to get a little extra reach backwards.
    Thank you for that little tidbit, I did not know it existed.

Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    The light with one of those setups probably won't get hot until you've put 4 or 5 mags through the gun. The handguards on the other hand are going to be quite toastie after 2 mags shot at a fairly rapid pace.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 09-04-21 at 18:14.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast