Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice 1st Impressions: ACR vs. SCAR

Feedback Score

Novice 1st Impressions: ACR vs. SCAR

Greetings - this will serve as my first post, but I have been reading the content here for a while. I like the protocol and overall courtesy and professionalism on this site.

I had a great opportunity to finally take my SCAR and ACR to the range today to fire them for the first time, and I thought I would offer my layman's observations.

The caveats - I am a novice rifle shooter; I have much more experience with handguns, so I will not comment much on the accuracy of these rifles, and a lot of my observations are subjective due to this inexperience.

My range visit was for "coarse" sighting in of the Aimpoints mounted on each rifle (getting them on the paper and then into the bull's eye to the best of my abilities). Shooting was from the bench and only out to 40m. I used 55 grain Winchester and Federal XM193 55 grain. My groups on both rifles with Aimpoints were about 2.5" to 3" (perhaps this should be embarrassing, but I've got to start somewhere).

It seems that there are two assessments when dealing with a firearm: perception and performance. Perception is when I hold it and assess its quality of assembly. Performance is when I shoot it, recoil, accuracy (moot for me right now), trigger, reliability, etc. I am sure there are many other factors.

Perception: It is interesting that the SCAR feels almost delicate and toy-like when handling it. I believe this is my perception due to its light weight. The ACR feels hefty and durable, possibly due to its heavier weight. Being a Land Rover enthusiast, I often associate weight with quality, but that also often results in misconception!

The ACR is definitely much more front heavy than the SCAR. I believe that Bushmaster really should offer a light profile barrel for the ACR.

As we have all read, the SCAR comes with additional features not offered on the basic ACR. I paid considerably less for the ACR basic than the SCAR, so I am okay on the price delta and do not feel as if I was ripped off with either.

It is clear, however, that both rifles are very well made and easy to disassemble/reassemble. Bushmaster should do something about that little rubber ring required for the bolt carrier assembly, though. I have not removed the barrels on either rifle.

For aesthetics, a highly subjective area, the ACR is a much nicer looking rifle, but I don't wanna go down like Williams in "Enter the Dragon," either. I call the SCAR "the camel," because of its color and stock hump. It is ugly in a functionally beautiful way - kind of like a Land Rover.

Performance: This is where the SCAR showed its prowess, IMHO.

Recoil impulse on the lightweight SCAR is seemingly non-existent. The ACR seemed to have noticeably more recoil. It was very surprising to me. The SCAR's toy-like feel completely disappeared upon firing the rifle. I have found this with other FN products like my light weight FNP-9. When I first looked at my FNP-45, I thought, "what a cannon." Well, when I picked it up and fired it, it seemed as if it shrunk, and it is now my favorite handgun.

SCAR has the edge over the ACR on trigger pull. It seemed lighter to me with a slightly crisper reset.

For me, the placement of the safety/shoot switch on the SCAR was better than the ACR.

No problems with the reciprocating charging handle on the SCAR. I must be a freakin' wimp, because for the life of me, my trigger/pointer finger could not release the ACR bolt down by the trigger guard. I guess I need to do some of those Bruce Lee finger pushups.

I did not shoot much ammunition at all - only 100 rounds total, but both rifles ran this limited amount with no problem. I switched rifles often and did not heat up barrels or perform "mag dumps" to torture these two new guns.

Final Thoughts: My first impression is that the SCAR is the superior firearm. How they compare and hold together in the long-term is another issue. Perhaps as I train with rifles and become more proficient, my impressions will change.

As of right now, if I could only grab one of these to scoot out the door with the wife and kids and blow out of town due to bad things happening, I would grab the SCAR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice review, especially since you have both.

I hope to meet up with a fella here that has an ACR to review along with my SCAR.

Please keep us informed with your findings with both.
    Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I like both rifles a lot. I look forward to getting more experience on both as I learn how to shoot rifles.

One other thing that I forgot to mention was that overall I preferred the iron sights on the SCAR, particularly because of the narrow front sight post. The ACR Magpul front sight seems to be much thicker. On the flip side, the Magpul sights can be deployed really quickly just by lightly smacking them on the top or via the lever on the side.

Feedback Score
    I am not surprised by what I read. If Magpul had built the gun, I feel as if it would have turned out a lot better. When I heard that "Shrubmaster" was gonna be building the gun, I knew it was gonna be mainly hype. I have 2 friends who live out of state that bought ACR's, and now they are selling them.
    If these same judicial despots misconstrued the Second Amendment as broadly as they do the first, Americans would have nukes to defend themselves from noisy neighbors. - Mark Alexander

I will stop buying guns when my wife stops buying shoes.

"You cant invade America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" - Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto

A Recession is when your neighbour loses his job,
    A Depression is when you lose your job, and
    A Recovery is when Obama loses his.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really wanted to like the ACR, and really don't like the SCAR (just from playing with them both). The SCAR may be one of the ugliest and most ungainly looking rifles I've ever seen. Those thoughts are about as subjective and combat-irrelevant as it gets, but here we are.

Luckily I've got a handsome AR to keep me cheerful.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    agree with you on the SCAR, however we need to talk about your vehicle selection.... Mine:
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Very nice subjective review and very nice first post.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Alot of people are commenting on how light the recoil impulse is on the scar and ive always got to wonder if that is due to the FSC556 attached to the barrel.

Do you have any prior experience with compensators?

Most people are saying the ACR has a heavy recoil impulse but what are they comparing this to? An AK? An AR? An AR with a comp?

There are alot of factors here and i wish someone would expand on their statements regarding recoil.

I guess im just going to have to find a way to fire the darned ACR myself.

TY for the comparative analysis!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Alot of people are commenting on how light the recoil impulse is on the scar and ive always got to wonder if that is due to the FSC556 attached to the barrel.
    I would also agrue that it is its bore line in regards to its ergonomics. I think the way the rifle is just lined up makes it "feel" like it doesn when firing...
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post

Do you have any prior experience with compensators?

Most people are saying the ACR has a heavy recoil impulse but what are they comparing this to? An AK? An AR? An AR with a comp?

There are alot of factors here and i wish someone would expand on their statements regarding recoil.

I guess im just going to have to find a way to fire the darned ACR myself.

TY for the comparative analysis!
    I've kept up a thread on here about my SCAR and have detailed in that thread that I removed the brake and run a Vortex. The SCAR still has less felt recoil and muzzle jump than my favorite mid-length AR with the same barrel length and Vortex. There is so little recoil to start with in this caliber that it's tough for many folks to care. I see it when running the timer - shot to shot.
    Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast