Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Grow Up With That Is Gone Forever...?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Writing letters...
    Used to be a big letter writer and I used to receive letters from everyone.

Cursive writing is gone also and nobody teaches that anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prdubi View Post
    Writing letters...
    Used to be a big letter writer and I used to receive letters from everyone.

Cursive writing is gone also and nobody teaches that anymore.

I think my kid's school has some. Started out stating they weren't, then out of the blue they did some although I don't think it was on the same level as decades past.

After several semesters of lettering in drafting classes followed up by 25+ years and counting of keyboard use I really have to stop and think about writing cursive beyond signing my name. Years ago that was only an issue with Q and Zz that never got much use beyond initial practicing.

Feedback Score
    Typewriters. When in high school, we all had to take a typewriting class. We used manual typewriters and I reached a blistering 36 wpm. When I entered college in 1978, I went totally modern and bought a Smith-Corona electric typewriter, with a correction cartridge you would insert to fix mistakes.

When researching for a paper at the University of Arizona Main Library, you'd take either note cards or a yellow legal pad with you for writing down your research, then back at your apartment you'd take those notes and bang out your finished product.

On a side note of going totally modern, I think I was ahead of my time in other areas while in college. I am left handed so my cursive art is not the most neat. When attending lectures in some science class one day a week where you're with 700 other students in a lecture hall, I'd bring along a cassette recorder and record the lecture, instead of trying to write notes down for 1.5 hours. When studying, I'd just replay the lecture. Keep in mind this was between 1978-1982.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Went in a weird reverse order, but used 3.5" disks in late 1980's junior high, then 5.25" disks in high school, and a 1992 college computer class featured data entry terminals with a mainframe in another building. All gone.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I kinda miss the innocence of computing. The Old Internet where there was no moderation because you didn’t need it. Everyone was genuinely helpful.

I also miss Quake 3 Arena LAN parties.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I miss being able to walk around town with your pellet gun and not get the police called on you.

Miss going to high school and seeing all the gun racks with shotguns in the truck windows.

I’m only 34 for the record!

This world is starting to suck balls quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I remember that time also..

Sprague HS Salem Oregon 1990.
    Principal ask all with guns in the car and truck to bring them in to store in the school safe.
    Make sure it is unloaded.

I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prdubi View Post
    I remember that time also..

Sprague HS Salem Oregon 1990.
    Principal ask all with guns in the car and truck to bring them in to store in the school safe.
    Make sure it is unloaded.

1998, kids were bringing their rifles to school (kept in cars) during hunting season.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My little buddy. I followed him almost religiously from the time I was thirteen or fourteen.

He got me in trouble, got me in fights, and cost me lots of money and wasted time in pursuit of his dreams.

Now, fifty-three years later, I find it hard to say, but, sometimes seeing the end of the news is more important than my little buddy.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I think my kid's school has some. Started out stating they weren't, then out of the blue they did some although I don't think it was on the same level as decades past.

After several semesters of lettering in drafting classes followed up by 25+ years and counting of keyboard use I really have to stop and think about writing cursive beyond signing my name. Years ago that was only an issue with Q and Zz that never got much use beyond initial practicing.
    8 years of field books as a land surveyor (plus lettering plats), broke me of cursive completely. I only print, I am fast at it, and it's totally legible. I have no clue why people put any importance on cursive.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast