Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gut feeling... and survival

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Gut feeling... and survival

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ho...D=ansmsnnews11

Katharina had already walked the first 2,500 miles of the trail, which starts at the Mexican border, and she had just 150 to go. So Katharina brushed aside nosy Nancy's carping concern.

"That's the last I saw of her," Nancy said.
    She said the whole reason she did the hike alone was because she'd given up on people.

"I lost faith in humanity," Katharina said.

But she said she got her faith back in a "really big way."

"Come to America," Katharina said.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Interesting story. Gut feelings can keep you out of trouble, especially in the outdoors.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It’s crazy that we all have this “sixth sense” if you will, but most of us ignore it.

Feedback Score
    That sixth sense/gut feeling is usually right. I'm on the Sheriff Search and Rescue team here and it's amazing how many people ignore that feeling and end up in a bad spot. If more people heeded that, we'd be a lot less busy!

Feedback Score
    Interesting story thanks for sharing. This is a bit different scenario than a lost person following their gut to get back to the world. Her gut feeling was based on intimate knowledge of the area at that particular time of year and judging this German girl to not have a clue about what she was getting herself into, so kudos to her. Not necessarily an easy task to convince the SD to send out the SAR team in a situation like that.

I'm on a SAR team in the PNW and we have talked a bit about lost person behavior and "following your gut/instinct" when lost. What our Deputy and team leader related to us is that a lost person's gut is usually wrong and can lead to much worse decisions which makes people even more lost. It is always best to sit tight and take a deep breath before rashly making a decision based on what your gut tells you. If one is seriously lost its best to sit tight for a long time until help arrives. And always tell someone where you'll be and when you'll be out.

Just my 2 cents, cheers

Feedback Score
    I heard about this story a while back. Good on her for "making the call." A lot of people would have shrugged their gut feeling off and done nothing.

Intuition is real. I've had many hunches that turned out to be right. I don't think it's anything more than "advanced situational awareness". Your brain can process a lot of subtle information and subconsciously alert you in a way that seems paranormal or psychic or whatever. Really I think it's natural but the mechanism is not understood fully.

Feedback Score
    Doc S
    Spot on about 6th sense / gut feeling quite a few times it's been a lifesaver. Problem is for many job or situation, I have had many of them and followed it when I can. A lot of times it has cost me but my squad and I are alive today due to following ”my gut" instinct. I can remember many times I had my squad pissed off due to my going on it then later having them come back later thanking me for it. Quite a few times came back to me thinking about it now. One of those times a anti-armor grenade bounced off back of truck due to it.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sixth sense is quickly disappearing and being replaced by mongoloids who are only capable of staring at their smart phones.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Sixth sense is quickly disappearing and being replaced by mongoloids who are only capable of staring at their smart phones.
    ^^^This. I made sure that my kids have spent plenty of time in the outdoors camping, hiking, hunting and fishing. And not having cable television for the last 21 years has made a huge difference in their lives - they rather be outdoors enjoying and observing what is around them.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Very interesting story! I mean you need to use common sense for example when hunting, using a rangefinder binocular is in most cases essential, but nothing beats the gut feeling we all have.
    Guess it's part of who we are and yes a ver good advantage when used right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast