Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: EMP The Worst Case Senerio????

Feedback Score

EMP The Worst Case Senerio????

Been doing lots of research on EMP. It truly is the worst case senerio IMO. Nothing and I mean nothing comes close to what would happen to this country should such an event happen. I don't see any other event short of a 'nuclear' event that would have a 75-90% casulity rate after only a few months. And to think our government doesn't really consider this to be even remotely possible or they would be actually doing something about it. Well, except for the military as they're actually hardening some of there equipment. I can't be the only one concerned about this I hope......

Steve

Feedback Score
    EMP effects have many variables. High altitude, low altitude, and yield. Depending on those variables the effects on electronics is not absolute. Its documented that the effects are kind of hit or miss with electronics surviving that were not expected to while another that was expected to survive did not. From what ive read EMPs do not have the mythical range that most people think. The high altitude EMPs that have the most range effect electrical transmission lines the most while possibly leaving electronics "off the grid" uncompromised.

Studies have also shown that EMP protection is fairly simple and where its not viable repair is fairly straightforward.

EMP studies have been around since the 40s. Its not like its a new thing. I would be more worried about the neutron bomb. i know if the electrical grid goes down that I WILL survive.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sure, we have a lot of enemies but who in their right mind would launch an EMP attack against us?

I guarantee our nukes are well protected from an EMP attack and the minute we figured out who launched it there would be scorched earth in that part of the world within minutes.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Sure, we have a lot of enemies but who in their right mind would launch an EMP attack against us?

I guarantee our nukes are well protected from an EMP attack and the minute we figured out who launched it there would be scorched earth in that part of the world within minutes.
    By launching a military attack on US soil the attacker basically commits suicide.

Notice i said military attack, terrorist would be a completely different scenario.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

Feedback Score
    I read the book "One Second After" and it opened my eyes to a lot of things. Possible? Yes. Probable? Not really.

What I fear the most, is the economic collapse and isntability / over taxing our EMS / Law Enforcement.

Once the money runs out, and it is headed that way quickly... people take to the streets. At work, we jokingly refer to that as "when the Zombies come".
    ----------------------------------------------------
    SGT Steven McGovern KIA - Iraq 21 APR 05.

A friend, a brother, a true quiet professional. You will NEVER be forgotten.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsgard View Post
    By launching a military attack on US soil the attacker basically commits suicide.

Notice i said military attack, terrorist would be a completely different scenario.
    Untill Terrorists possess ICBM's with throw weights capable of lofting multi-Megaton Hydrogen bombs and also multi-Megaton Hydrogen bombs, we needn't fear Terrorist EMP.

Right now only only four powers possess that capability.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't think an EMP would do that much damage. Sure it would cost billions to get back to where we are now, but I think Americans are some pretty crafty mo'fo's when we need to be.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post

Iran's been test firing "high altitude" missles off ships for over five years now. You don't need a 'high tech' ICBM to launch even a low yield nuke over land off the east coast to cause 1/2 the country to be off the grid for over a year. Experts have said that in such a senerio, we would NOT know who attacked us, and they know this. No scorched earth for them, and that's why we should be concerned.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsgard View Post

See above.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMack View Post
    I read the book "One Second After" and it opened my eyes to a lot of things. Possible? Yes. Probable? Not really.

What I fear the most, is the economic collapse and isntability / over taxing our EMS / Law Enforcement.

I thought the same thing up to about a year ago. I bet you didn't know that Iran sold our good friend to the south Hugo Chavez, there newest 3 stage missle the Shabab 3. Now ask yourself, WHY DOES CHAVEZ, Iran's best newset buddy, need a missle that has been redesigned with an updated nose cone to except Nukes??? In fact it's almost an exact copy of the Russian nose cone design. One missle coming from the Gulf area, fired over the south will cause a 'grid down' senerio for probably 75% of the US.
    Iran has actually said that this is something they would like to do to us, test fired missles with a "high altitude" flight pattern(which experts have said didn't make any since, and people still don't think this is something to be worried about!?? And if all this isn't enough, Russia has a stand alone missle system, designed to be fired from SHIPS that look like a cargo container and will sell it to anyone with the money. All you need is a missle and a nuke. Well, Iran and North Korea have been working together on both for years now. Feel any safer now??

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast