Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: I was shocked to see this about cars...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Many people could get by with the travel restrictions the EVs come with but if they look at what it really cost them to drive it over the cars useful life the math doesn't work. What is the EV worth when the batteries fall out of warranty? Probably next to nothing. Most who buy these things do it because it feels good thinking they are doing their part to save the world. They refuse to take into account the amount of fossil fuel it took to build it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Many people could get by with the travel restrictions the EVs come with but if they look at what it really cost them to drive it over the cars useful life the math doesn't work. What is the EV worth when the batteries fall out of warranty? Probably next to nothing. Most who buy these things do it because it feels good thinking they are doing their part to save the world. They refuse to take into account the amount of fossil fuel it took to build it.
    And how the power was produced to charge it…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Ineos is a plastics company. My thought was this was a test mule for auto part tech, but it seems like a real vehicle. Looks like a 110 series. Any one know if this is just vapor ware?

https://ineosgrenadier.com/en-us
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 05-17-21 at 15:45.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    You're right about the environmental aspect, but the cost benefit is getting reasonable. EV prices are getting down to comparable, and the mileage lifespans are increasing beyond gas powered. If you do have to replace a battery out of warranty, it's about 15k, so no more unreasonable than having to replace engines after several hundred thousand miles in a typical car. And you're not incurring all the maintenance costs like oil changes, belts, etc. Plus there's the convenience factor, reducing smog in densely populated cities, etc.

I had a big blind spot to electric because like you I was only looking at the implied ecological benefits, which are of course asinine. But there's a huge convenience factor, and also a reliability one, and potential cost savings.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the ability of EVs to become the future of transportation. Unfortunately we are at the compact fluorescent stage of development. And just like CF, the .gov is gonna back a dead horse for as long as possible and stand in the way of whatever the LED of electric transportation turns out to be.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    I appreciate the ability of EVs to become the future of transportation. Unfortunately we are at the compact fluorescent stage of development. And just like CF, the .gov is gonna back a dead horse for as long as possible and stand in the way of whatever the LED of electric transportation turns out to be.
    Yes I wonder this when I read about Toyota and Hydrogen fuel cells. David.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Back to the original question - Porsche now uses 'turbo' as a label for 'faster/most expensive model' whether the car has a turbo or not. As for EV vs. ICE, both have their pros and cons as pointed out here, and the preference is personal. For a daily commuter, I don't think I'd mind a EV since I don't have a long commute and it'd be convenient to recharge the car each night, but for a weekend 'fun' car where I'd want to drive without worrying about charging, I lean more to regular ICE sports cars. I wouldn't mind a PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle) like the SF90. I'm curious to see the new Corvette E-ray (hybrid) and how that turns out. While I love the sound of a good ICE, I guess it'd be easier to avoid attention if you could accelerate quickly silently. Kind of like Blue Thunder on 'whisper mode'.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It sorta sticks in my craw these ev's are so damn fast...having had 650hp traditional American front engine / rwd muscle & the rumble when she turns over would send tingles. Now you have instant torque to all four rubbers & you can't even hear it while it walks away from you. It doesn't have the romance but they will have the edge at the red light. I predict a lot of car crashes once all these sparky's hit the road.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    It sorta sticks in my craw these ev's are so damn fast...having had 650hp traditional American front engine / rwd muscle & the rumble when she turns over would send tingles. Now you have instant torque to all four rubbers & you can't even hear it while it walks away from you. It doesn't have the romance but they will have the edge at the red light. I predict a lot of car crashes once all these sparky's hit the road.
    People will definitely learn the hard way that they now need to heed the yellow light. It's going to make turning into traffic way easier though, as well as getting up to speed on ramps.

Feedback Score
    You guys are so cute. Thinking they are gonna let us drive.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast