Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Realistic SHTF Scenarios;

Feedback Score
    The humidity in south florida is so high.."This is why you never hear the mosquitoes down here before they get you. They don't have to flap their wings. They merely float in the humidity, motionless, with their little bloodsucking tubes pointed straight out, waiting for you to bumble into them."

http://articles.philly.com/1987-09-0...-south-florida
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Being on the beach during the early fall, the yellow flies are awful during the day and off the beach, the mosquitoes gnaw on whatever is left. But you're right, S. GA is the worst. I haven't been to AK.

Feedback Score
    The tricky thing about AK isn’t just the carnivores, which include the mosquitoes and no-see-ums in my book, it’s the terrain/weather. I’m with the FD here and we rescue tourists every summer who get lost and are woefully unprepared to deal with the terrain and changing weather. AK will kill the shit out of you. It is also massive with very few roads, can’t just “walk to a fence” and find your way out… The rivers are deceiving, people/hunters die every year trying to cross them. Lot of them are glacier fed and swift… All that being said, I can’t say I miss the horse fly’s, chiggers, and ticks in TX… Oh, and stumbling into crotch high cactus at night, hog hunting, missing that…
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I wasn't trying to make this an AK vs FL scary dangerous outdoors contest. You probably don't want to either, because AK wins again. Wolves, Grizzly bear, moose, winter weather, bush planes that disappear. Sure, FL has more bugs most of the year. I guess that's the price you pay for not having to own a coat.
    I'm not turning this into a debate, I'm merely discussing different survival strategies.

Now, I've said it before and I'll admit right now that I have yet to ever see snow. The coldest temps I've ever felt were 17* in Iraq.

However, it seems to me like it would be much easier to survive a post-government SHTF situation in Alaska than Florida for several reasons:

1) Heat in the summer, and lack of potable fresh water. The only thing that will kill you faster than this is a Grizzley, but we have alligators and snakes. Like slab said, you've got glacier fed rivers all over the place. Not to mention ice and snow that can be melted.

2) Population density. 18,000,000 people gonna need a place to go, things to eat, water to drink. There aren't that many cows, squirrels, deer, etc to go around.

In a true SHTF situation, I don't really care about bugs. I care about resources, and Alaska has a lot less people competing for them than FL does.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I'm not turning this into a debate, I'm merely discussing different survival strategies.

Now, I've said it before and I'll admit right now that I have yet to ever see snow. The coldest temps I've ever felt were 17* in Iraq.

However, it seems to me like it would be much easier to survive a post-government SHTF situation in Alaska than Florida for several reasons:

1) Heat in the summer, and lack of potable fresh water. The only thing that will kill you faster than this is a Grizzley, but we have alligators and snakes. Like slab said, you've got glacier fed rivers all over the place. Not to mention ice and snow that can be melted.

2) Population density. 18,000,000 people gonna need a place to go, things to eat, water to drink. There aren't that many cows, squirrels, deer, etc to go around.

In a true SHTF situation, I don't really care about bugs. I care about resources, and Alaska has a lot less people competing for them than FL does.
    I really don't think summer time heat will kill you faster than an Alaskan winter. Like, will being caught outside in FL in the summer for 3 hours kill you?

Feedback Score
    I really think it boils down to skill sets/knowledge, no matter where you are. The population piece is very important and the population in AK is very lean for the size of the place.

That being said, the environment is very unforgiving, especially in the winter/interior. All of that water freezes and it basically becomes a desert. The snow is so dry you can’t form a snow ball with it. The reality is if you “get caught”, unprepared, in -40f you’re in trouble…. The FL vs. AK comparison is tough because, in my opinion, they are both extremes with each presenting serious problems… Probably best to shoot for somewhere in the middle, get the best of both worlds…
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I really don't think summer time heat will kill you faster than an Alaskan winter. Like, will being caught outside in FL in the summer for 3 hours kill you?
    Good point.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Idaho

low population. Enough winter to kill off or discourage refugees. Plenty of public land and game.

Lewlstone is mild in the winter. Out there all you have to do is go up the mountains a little and it will get considerably cooler.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...tates/usid0146

Feedback Score
    I live in the Bay Area of California. The biggest SHTF worry out here is earthquakes. The Bay Area is crisscrossed by no less than 4 faults, which according to seismologists are just about ready to blow. There's no warning, earthquakes just hit. Best strategy is to bug in, with plenty of water and preps.

A place where you will see trees, grass, water.
    Feedback Score
    With the AK and FL debate you guys are forgetting AZ!

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast