Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: MK18 Vs. Geissele Super Duty 10.5

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Dude hasn't even been back to the thread that I can see.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Dude hasn't even been back to the thread that I can see.
    Which makes it even weirder those characters are trying to limit this discussion to one single brand, for reasons that make zero sense.

Feedback Score
    Not hatin' on DD but I never liked their quad rail; I just prefer a low pro M-Lok. That being said, the way guys throw the term around, you can almost bet the OP (wherever he may be) was referring to a DD "MK-18" model, versus a no-shit Crane NSW MK-18. That's just what's in common usage now, when talking about commercial purchase of the DD model or the Big G goodness. If I hadn't read anything but the thread title, that would have been my assumption.

As to what the OP's original intent was, well besides throwing a six-banger into the room, it sounds like he was probably just building a "MK-18" style rifle, not a "clone-correct" one. Because, as pointed out, neither DD or Big G are the real deal. That's why I think he was using the term "MK-18" so loosely.

The comments about age are valid points as well because most guys these days have the attention span of a gold fish, so talking about legacy Colt models is way beyond them. That again points me towards the DD offering. So it's not that they're trying to limit the discussion, it's more like that's all they really know.
    Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diz View Post
    Not hatin' on DD but I never liked their quad rail; I just prefer a low pro M-Lok. That being said, the way guys throw the term around, you can almost bet the OP (wherever he may be) was referring to a DD "MK-18" model, versus a no-shit Crane NSW MK-18. That's just what's in common usage now, when talking about commercial purchase of the DD model or the Big G goodness. If I hadn't read anything but the thread title, that would have been my assumption.

As to what the OP's original intent was, well besides throwing a six-banger into the room, it sounds like he was probably just building a "MK-18" style rifle, not a "clone-correct" one. Because, as pointed out, neither DD or Big G are the real deal. That's why I think he was using the term "MK-18" so loosely.

The comments about age are valid points as well because most guys these days have the attention span of a gold fish, so talking about legacy Colt models is way beyond them. That again points me towards the DD offering. So it's not that they're trying to limit the discussion, it's more like that's all they really know.
    Well it certainly seems like there's a lot of misconception about what constitutes a Mk18. Still can't wrap my head around how the DD is supposed to be some kind of major leap forward, rendering all previous Mk18s obsolete.

Feedback Score
    Ha ha well, that's what good marketing does for ya. I'm not sure how DD gets around calling the thing a MK-18, but I guess the guys at Crane never filed a patent or whatever. But since you got a vendor who takes advantage of the title, you got peeps lining up to buy it, since it's a lot easier than building your own, which to me is half the fun.

I had to laugh when the discussion turned to "how old" is the shorty rifle. I have been issued or owned an AR-pattern rifle since 1976. I first saw a XM-177E1 when I joined 3d Recon in '79. I built my first "CAR-15" in 1980. Those early rifles had issues. The M4 series started to iron them out, then the Mk-18 really refined the model. Always been a fan of the 10.5/10.3" bbl. It's just so darn handy. But yeah it's been a long, strange trip indeed. I have always had a love/hate relationship with Colt because of their refusal to sell me a 10.5" bbl rifle in the 80's, 90's, and into the 2,000's. But somebody finally decided to open up 6920 sales to the public. Too little, too late, but I'm hoping the new owners will make good Colt parts readily available to the public. All these other companies have made massive amounts of money, making all sorts of rifles that Colt never would. I mean imagine what would happen if Colt started selling real MK-18's? Even better all the components to roll your own.
    Last edited by Diz; 10-22-21 at 09:06.
    Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    About the only way to make this thread better would be to mention the FN SCAR 16/17 and HKGuns would turn it up to 11 and invite the usual suspects.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Well it certainly seems like there's a lot of misconception about what constitutes a Mk18. Still can't wrap my head around how the DD is supposed to be some kind of major leap forward, rendering all previous Mk18s obsolete.
    Holy hell your head is thick. Nobody ever said DD was the only brand. My statement was that it’s pointless to discuss initial prototypes because who cares within the context of this thread? Colt is an option but takes a lot of work. DD is a factory option that’s at least available. LMT still makes a 10” upper as do others. Nobody is trying to steer this discussion to one brand. It’s just ridiculous to say that by today’s commercial standards, there’s no reason anyone has to buy a 6920 and have it chopped just to get a generic MK18 style rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diz View Post
    Ha ha well, that's what good marketing does for ya. I'm not sure how DD gets around calling the thing a MK-18, but I guess the guys at Crane never filed a patent or whatever. But since you got a vendor who takes advantage of the title, you got peeps lining up to buy it, since it's a lot easier than building your own, which to me is half the fun.

I had to laugh when the discussion turned to "how old" is the shorty rifle. I have been issued or owned an AR-pattern rifle since 1976. I first saw a XM-177E1 when I joined 3d Recon in '79. I built my first "CAR-15" in 1980. Those early rifles had issues. The M4 series started to iron them out, then the Mk-18 really refined the model. Always been a fan of the 10.5/10.3" bbl. It's just so darn handy. But yeah it's been a long, strange trip indeed. I have always had a love/hate relationship with Colt because of their refusal to sell me a 10.5" bbl rifle in the 80's, 90's, and into the 2,000's. But somebody finally decided to open up 6920 sales to the public. Too little, too late, but I'm hoping the new owners will make good Colt parts readily available to the public. All these other companies have made massive amounts of money, making all sorts of rifles that Colt never would. I mean imagine what would happen if Colt started selling real MK-18's? Even better all the components to roll your own.
    Oh they do. They even started selling stripped lowers about five years back. You can buy barrels and other parts, too. It's just a really expensive way to do it. Depending on demand, their complete uppers are anywhere between 700-1200 or so, and barrels are about 350. Which is fine, that's typical of what individual parts go for when you're talking about premium components like that. If you absolutely have to have a commando or whatnot, you just gotta bite the bullet and pay the man, but there are certainly cheaper ways to accomplish most ends when it comes to M4s and Mk18s.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Holy hell your head is thick. Nobody ever said DD was the only brand. My statement was that it’s pointless to discuss initial prototypes because who cares within the context of this thread? Colt is an option but takes a lot of work. DD is a factory option that’s at least available. LMT still makes a 10” upper as do others. Nobody is trying to steer this discussion to one brand. It’s just ridiculous to say that by today’s commercial standards, there’s no reason anyone has to buy a 6920 and have it chopped just to get a generic MK18 style rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey if you like paying a lot more for an arguably inferior gun, be my guest. Like I keep saying, all I was trying to do was tell the man how to get a premium Mk18 at a good price.

Not a clue what you mean by "early prototypes." If you're talking about the CQBR, it's functionally identical to the factory Mk18s that shipped from Colt (and by extension the ones from DD, at least skin deep). The only thing that ever changed was the rail, and they went through like five versions of three different ones, so take your pick or choose something different. They had some oneoff Vltor rails and stuff running around, so it's not like there's a right or wrong way to accessorize them.

P.S. and no it's not a lot of work. Sheesh, ADCO will do literally all the work for like an extra 50 bucks or something. You can just send them an M4 or 6920 upper and get a Mk18 upper back in the mail two days later.

You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here for excuses. First it's too old, then it's a prototype (not true, BTW), and now it's too much work! Would absolutely love to know who made you prime decider to determine what's relevant to this thread, especially since you seem to know very little about the platform outside of DD's commercial Mk18 in name only copy. There's more than one way to scramble this egg, and if you would listen instead of deciding for OP what he does and doesn't want to hear you might learn a thing or two.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Gotcha. But it will cycle in cold weather with the suppressor, right?
    All weather with the can

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast