Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P10 .308 - SHOT news?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gergregg View Post
    Well another disappointment with this build. The DD lite rail installs but the top rail of the hand guard does not match up to the upper. I had planned to use the 45 degree offset backup irons but that will not work at this point.

Also be prepared to cut the crush washer behind the muzzle device when swapping gas blocks. That was the only way it was coming off.

This is your problem: http://www.rainierarms.com/misc/DPMS...RS_COMPARE.pdf

Newer DPMS receivers are thinner up top. The Troy TRX 13.8 that beavis got is offered in the "low profile"/new style DPMS, which is what the S&W seems to also use.

It doesn't seem like the DD Lite 308 rail has been updated with the newer DPMS style receiver, which is why it's too tall for the M&P 10.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 03-12-13 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post

Newer DPMS receivers are thinner up top. The Troy TRX 13.8 that beavis got is offered in the "low profile"/new style DPMS, which is what the S&W seems to also use.

It doesn't seem like the DD Lite 308 rail has been updated with the newer DPMS style receiver, which is why it's too tall for the M&P 10.
    Yep... I think you are correct. I went off second hand info from the smith rep on TOS. He said dd was low pro.

Feedback Score
    im glad yall got the issue resolved with that DD rail. sorry u had to be the test dummy for it but its for a good cause. now we know i guess.
    ابن كافر. سوف اقتلك. إذا كنت ميض... أقتلك!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: S&W M&P10 .308 - SHOT news?

I'm really interested in 100 yd groups with federal gold medal match and m118lr. If someone has good glass and is a good shot, I can give you a box of 20 fgmm for $20 to do the test (half of what I paid). I don't have any m118lr though.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I installed a Magpul STR butt stock and MOE handguard today on my M&P 10. Installing the hand guard was a challenge (no help and no handguard tool) compared to installing a carbine length MOE handguard on an M&P 15. Now that I think about it, removing the heat shield might have made it a lot easier. I don't know that I need the heat shield. I hope the tight fit of the heatshield on the rear of the barrel does not affect accuracy in a negative way. Also installed a AFG. All in FDE. I have a MIAD in transit. If I could just get some PMAGs in FDE.

Over the weekend I shot one 5 shot group with 150 Power Point looking through an old V16 Weaver scope turned down to 4 because I was shooting at a 28" gong at 100 yards. 4 of the 5 went into a 4 leaf clover under an inch with the 5th shot out by about an inch. I shot a similar group about a week ago. The rest of my shooting was off hand. I am interested in reading an accuracy report on this weapon system.
    Last edited by Little Creek; 03-13-13 at 13:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gergregg View Post
    Yep... I think you are correct. I went off second hand info from the smith rep on TOS. He said dd was low pro.
    I hate to throw a wrench in this and while I believe the M&P may be considered "low profile" (as proven by the Troy rail) , the PDF above is not entirely applicable in this case as the M&P is also 3/16". Technically, the outside is slightly larger than 3/16", there is a radius under the rail that brings it to about 3/16. The difference must lie somewhere else?

Attachment 15856
    Last edited by Ryno12; 03-14-13 at 15:46.

Feedback Score
    Will the Ranier Arms "Raptor" 308 charging handle fit the M&P 10? I have one on my M4gery and I love it. Of course, I am LH. I am on the please notify me list at this time.

Feedback Score
    Anyone else have issues removing the stock barrel nut? My Troy rail came in and I'm having a bear of a time removing the barrel nut.

Update: I got it off eventually and got the new rail installed. The stock barrel nut didn't appear to have any grease on it.
    Last edited by gunnut284; 03-15-13 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut284 View Post
    Anyone else have issues removing the stock barrel nut? My Troy rail came in and I'm having a bear of a time removing the barrel nut.

Update: I got it off eventually and got the new rail installed. The stock barrel nut didn't appear to have any grease on it.
    Does the same wrench fit both the stock barrel nut and the Troy barrel nut? I am assuming the Troy rail came with a barrel nut? Did you use an upper receiver block in a vise? Do you need a torque wrench for the install or is good and tight lined up for the gas tube all that is required? I just don't want to buy a lot of tools I will only use once.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    Does the same wrench fit both the stock barrel nut and the Troy barrel nut? I am assuming the Troy rail came with a barrel nut? Did you use an upper receiver block in a vise? Do you need a torque wrench for the install or is good and tight lined up for the gas tube all that is required? I just don't want to buy a lot of tools I will only use once.
    Both the stock nut and the included Troy nut use a standard armorers wrench. The torque spec is 30-50lbs.

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast