Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M4/CQBR Clone, too soon to be retro?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

M4/CQBR Clone, too soon to be retro?

So I picked up a Colt lower cheap and you know how new lowers are, they suddenly sprout into builds. I can appreciate the attention to detail serious "clone" builders can bring to the table. Care to answer a few questions? My plan is to build the Colt lower as an early M4 config with CAR plastic stock. Since the 10.5" CQBR upper would be bolted on... would the M4 lower be correct without the CQD sling mount? Would an A1 grip work, or am I stuck with the A2 grip? Did all CQBR uppers have the KAC NT4? Keep in mind we are talking about a converted M4 and not a dedicated Mk18. Thanks guys, this should be a fun thread!

Feedback Score
    Well depends on what direction you want to go. MK18 MOD 0 or CQBR? Sounds like the latter from your thread title, but then you say "early M4 config with CAR stock" so little confused on the intention.

If CQBR then some bad news, DD has discontinued the MK18 RIS rail and now they are getting very hard to find, and when you do people want a premium. The best bet is find a DD complete MK18 upper, then try and piece one together yourself.

The original suppressor and king of the clone builds is in fact the KAC QDSS-NT4. However the later model CQBR were issued with the Surefire SOCOM-56RC suppressor. You can get one "cheap" right now at Arms Unlimited.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/SureFi...ocom556-rc.htm

A1 or A2 pistol grips are both appropriate.

CQD sling mount front/rear is the standard issue for clone builds. Of course you can deviate if you want. That is what I have on mine.

That should be enough to get you rolling. I follow closely as I have several Colt clone builds in the works/completed. Also you can always scan the 1000+ page thread on MK18 builds over on ARFCOM.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Let me clarify. This will be a CQBR upper with RAS handguard, fixed front sight..early model.

So it will look like a Mk18Mod0, but those were built on M16A1 (or earlier) lowers. And I dont want to confuse it with the Mk18 platform as there are some differences.

Feedback Score
    No issues using the M4 lower on a MK18 MOD 0. My MK18 MOD 0 clone is built a Colt M4 Carbine marked lower from a LE6920. For the early MK18 you definitely want the KAC suppressor to be accurate. Next to the PEQ-2A it will be my most expensive component of the build.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by albatrossarmament View Post
    Let me clarify. This will be a CQBR upper with RAS handguard, fixed front sight..early model.

So it will look like a Mk18Mod0, but those were built on M16A1 (or earlier) lowers. And I dont want to confuse it with the Mk18 platform as there are some differences.
    It sounds like this is what you are wanting to build.

This is a Mk18 Mod 0 clone that I built back in 2010. Although not 100% correct, it is more than close enough for me. As far as this type of AR being a vintage/retro model, it is not. Even the A2 has still not been recognized as being vintage/retro by many in the retro community.

Here is a link that may help you with the specs on the Mk18 versions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_...attle_Receiver
    Last edited by Renegade04; 06-02-17 at 12:43.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    This is a Mk18 Mod 0 clone that I built back in 2010. Although not 100% correct, it is more than close enough for me.
    Great clone build, and pretty darn close. Looks like you used a LMT 10.5" upper, probably stripped without hand guard and then you added the KAC RAS.

Surefire light isn't the right model, LMT is Gen2 not Gen1, A2 flash hider instead of NT4, and used a DPMS lower instead of a Colt lower. Otherwise spot on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony.L View Post
    Great clone build, and pretty darn close. Looks like you used a LMT 10.5" upper, probably stripped without hand guard and then you added the KAC RAS.

Surefire light isn't the right model, LMT is Gen2 not Gen1, A2 flash hider instead of NT4, and used a DPMS lower instead of a Colt lower. Otherwise spot on.
    Here are the specs on the build.

Upper Receiver:
    LMT 10.5” upper
    Colt Side Sling Swivel
    LMT Detachable Tactical Rear Sight
    LMT Standard Full-Auto Bolt Carrier Group
    LMT Charging Handle
    KAC M4 RAS w/ VFG
    Surefire Weaponlight
    Aimpoint Comp M2 4MOA
    Wilcox Ind. M68 Mount (p/n: 13600G01)

Lower Receiver:
    Nodal Spud NDS-16A1 lower receiver (Registered SBR)
    DPMS LPK with original M16 safety selector (modified)
    LMT SOPMOD stock
    VLTOR Mil-Spec buffer tube, buffer, and spring
    A2 Pistol Grip
    Last edited by Renegade04; 04-25-17 at 18:41.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Here are the specs on the build.

Upper Receiver:
    LMT 10.5” upper
    Colt Side Sling Swivel
    LMT Detachable Tactical Rear Sight
    LMT Standard Full-Auto Bolt Carrier Group
    LMT Charging Handle
    KAC M4 RAS w/ VFG
    Surefire Weaponlight
    Aimpoint Comp M2 4MOA
    Wilcox Ind. M68 Mount (p/n: 13600G01)

Lower Receiver:
    DPMS lower receiver (Registered SBR) and LPK
    LMT SOPMOD stock
    VLTOR Mil-Spec buffer tube, buffer, and spring
    A2 Pistol Grip

The DPMS lower was used because that is what I had a tax stamp for already. It is from my very first personally owned AR (2004).
    those Surefire M951 weapon lights are damn near $400 in like new condition on ebay

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    those Surefire M951 weapon lights are damn near $400 in like new condition on ebay
    Wouldn't the correct light be the M961 or 962, the 9V lights, for the CQBR?
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I've purchased three M951's brand new in the box on eBay for less than $100 each.

Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    Wouldn't the correct light be the M961 or 962, the 9V lights, for the CQBR?
    Correct. Here is my M961XM07 that I got off eBay for around $100 brand new. However the push button tail cap cost me more than the light...

Last edited by Anthony.L; 09-30-15 at 10:16.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast