Thread: 12 1/2" barrel middy cycle a CAR buffer?

Feedback Score

12 1/2" barrel middy cycle a CAR buffer?

I want to build a non SBR 629 clone with a middy barrel so there is no space between the moderator and the FSB. I think it lends a more authentic look. The faux 4.5" moderator "BRICK" makes has 1" of threading that when silver soldered to a cut down (12.5") middy barrel gives me my NFA free 16" barrel.

So will a 12.5" barrel cycle this thing? I don't want to sleeve the moderator over the barrel unless I have too.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You want "authentic?" Then don't put anything called "faux" on your rifle. Either go the NFA route, or buy a 14.5 with a pinned flash suppressor.

A middy cut down to 12.5 thankfully wouldn't work anyway.

Feedback Score
    why the attitude?

A 14.5" barrel + pinned FH sounds like a 653/655 which is pretty much a SP1.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I disagree with putting fake crap on a rifle, for any purpose. I failed to notice this was in the antiquated AR section or I would have let it go.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoCATM View Post
    You want "authentic?" Then don't put anything called "faux" on your rifle. Either go the NFA route, or buy a 14.5 with a pinned flash suppressor.

A middy cut down to 12.5 thankfully wouldn't work anyway.
    A 12.5 mid is less than ideal but it has been done.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    A 12.5 mid is less than ideal but it has been done.
    would it be advisable to enlarge the gas hole on the barrel? Is that ever done on AR's? I know AKs have different size gas holes depending on the gun.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Is an SBR an option for you? It would be nice to get more velocity from your bbl. I thought of a BCM Kino bbl on an A1 upper. That would be a sweet KISS Retro flavored SBR.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaqu View Post
    would it be advisable to enlarge the gas hole on the barrel? Is that ever done on AR's? I know AKs have different size gas holes depending on the gun.
    Yes gas port sizing varies based on barrel length, gas system, ammunition and temperature envelope. I wouldn't use a 12.5 mid except in a 100% suppressed rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Is an SBR an option for you? It would be nice to get more velocity from your bbl. I thought of a BCM Kino bbl on an A1 upper. That would be a sweet KISS Retro flavored SBR.
    That would be sweet. To bad MI is anti sbr and silencer.

Sleeving the moderator may be the only way to go.