Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you ever cooked "sous vide" style?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    https://polyscienceculinary.com/blog...s-vide-cooking

Anymore data driven discussion of the safety and process pathway.

Are the tech companies trying to passivize us? I’ve been getting sous vide videos in my YouTube suggestions for days now...
    I think it's more a growing social media presence becoming a peer driven marketing campaign. Everybody tweets, posts on Facebook, uploads their videos. Search engine optimization focuses on top hits for search terms, media content, etc...so it follows that as more people do it, more new people get suggested links to explore.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just bought one and used it a few times. I like it but you have to plan ahead. Grilling/oven/skillet all take less time to do essentially the same thing. This however gives you a set temp so that the food comes out evenly cooked and the same every time. I know that both my grill and my stove top have cool and hot spots so I have to constantly rotate and even then you loose track of time for just a second and end result is one piece is more well done then another.

It's almost like a slow cooker with the time frame it takes but meat comes out tasty

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yeah I've heard steaks can be tweaked consistently to rare/medium rare/medium/medium well etc.

Can you cook veggies in the same ziplock as the meat or are they cooked separately?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They get cooked at much different temperatures, so separate.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    One of the best things about sous vide is you can take a cheap piece of meat and make it amazing. I love to do chuck roast when I'm cooking for a lot of people. It's a 24 hour cook and when it is done you would swear it was a higher quality piece of meat. Very tender. Also, I find sous vide great for leaner meats like pork chops and chicken breasts. I also like to brine first so that elevates those cuts as well.

I've also made yogurt, flan, cheesecake, egg bites and have used sous vide to infuse olive oil with garlic and herbs. All with great results.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Would you have brine in the cooking bag, or just prior? That is a pretty long time frame to plan ahead. I think I might try pork tenderloin or chicken.

Saw an interesting thing on eggs and pasturizing, but not cooking them.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Would you have brine in the cooking bag, or just prior? That is a pretty long time frame to plan ahead. I think I might try pork tenderloin or chicken.
    I equilibrium brine before.

Typically, I'll buy meat in bulk at Costco or if there is a sale at the local grocery. I'll prep all at once (portion, season, etc.), then package (vacuum seal would be best, but freezer bags are just fine) in quantities of 1-4. Cook some and then freeze the rest. Then I can pull out the serving size needed right from the freezer directly into the sous vide bath. Great for quick week night meals.

So, yes, there is some planning needed, but it can also be very quick and convenient. Just depends.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I think Hmac is a big sous vide practicioner/fan.
    It's virtually the only way I cook serious meat. The advantages are many, but chief among them are timing of bringing the meal to table, and accommodating different levels of done-ness for steaks and roasts. I use an Anova device and typically cook in Rubbermaid containers of varying sizes. I leave them all in the sous vide bath and when ready to serve I sear them at 90 seconds per side on the Big Green Egg at 700 degrees over lump charcoal with Applewood chunks. Typically, I'll hit Costco for most meat, take it home, vacuum-seal the individual steaks and pop them in the freezer. At any given time we have eight or ten 2-inch thick ribeyes in the freezer. I usually get tenderloins at the butcher. They work great in sous vide but it can take awhile from frozen. I have a buddy that uses his Anova to cook multiple big roasts like that in a Yeti cooler.

The only cut of meat I don't sous vide is filet mignon. I like to marinate those for a few hours before grilling them...the low fat content limits the flavor, which the marinade provides.
    Last edited by Hmac; 08-18-18 at 14:57.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Yeah I've heard steaks can be tweaked consistently to rare/medium rare/medium/medium well etc.
    You can dial the done-ness to the 1/10th of a degree. It took each of us awhile to tweak the cooking temps and figure out each of us likes their steaks cooked. I will typically cook my wife's steak to 134, mine and my daughter's to 139, my son's 145, etc. I have the preferred temps of just about everyone I likely cook for. There are many in my circle of likely dinner companions that use sous vide. That's convenient because they can just tell me the cooking temp that they prefer. The accuracy and consistency is entirely related to the cooker itself, which is calibrated to some scientific standard (not consumer/commercial) and is accurate to 0.1 degree C.

When cooking to different temps/done-ness, I cook the most done first, leave it in the bath and dial the temp down to the next steak, same for additional steaks working from most-done to least-done. I keep them all in the bath at the last temp when finished until everyone feels like they're ready to eat or when the sides/veggies are done, then sear them on the BGE.
    Last edited by Hmac; 08-18-18 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    on a rib eye from frozen vs fresh using this method (been wanting to try this for years now) how much dif in taste ? I know I have tried to freeze (vacum) rib eye but the break down of the meat when thawing is always horrid compared ? looses moisture texture etc... after thawing etc...
    tend to use grill or steel for cooking meat finding I prefer good french steel pans over cast iron these days

cheap cuts we often do in slow cooker such as roasts etc..
    Last edited by Honu; 08-18-18 at 15:58.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast