Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Noveske 16 inch CHF Barrel. Set my expectations.

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    Hmmm.......Correct me if I'm wrong but if Noveske's uses FN CHF Blanks...

As does PSA...

Why wouldn't I just buy a PSA/FN CHF Barrel at almost half the price?????

Just trying to see the difference?

I went DD because they are in control from start to finish.

To take it further, wonder what the accuracy difference between the two?????
    Last edited by seagiant; 07-07-20 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    Uh, guys, we're getting a little off track. I do own a DD S2W CHF barrel in an irons only build. It's 100% reliable & as accurate as I can possibly be with just iron sights (~2 inches @ 100 yards. I'm the limiting factor there. Not the barrel. That's with 55gr FMJ btw).

I went with Noveske over DD for the barrel here because I prefer the barrel profile on the Noveske (I really wish more companies would do a consistent taper like that) & the double chrome lining likely will give it increased service life (realistically I'll never shoot out either one, but knowing it can probably last longer gives peace of mind).

If the internet hive mind is correct, DD barrels are generally a little more accurate than pretty much any 556 FN OEM barrel, but the FNs have the durability edge.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post

If the internet hive mind is correct, DD barrels are generally a little more accurate than pretty much any 556 FN OEM barrel
    I've been seeing this trend fairly consistently. No account yet for "life" as I'm fresh back on the DD barrels as of this past year.

At least in the 16", DD's are far more conservatively gassed...0.072 vs. FN OEM's 0.078" ports.

In borescoping (which doesn't mean shit really) CHF barrels...HK's are hands down the cleanest. FN's really run the gamut of nearly HK-level of clean (no tool marks) to ugly...even in the higher-quality contract stuff like Hodge and Noveske. DD's have generally been more cleaner and free of tooling marks than compared to FN.

I've yet to have any FN (be it Rainier Mountain, Noveske, Hodge or OEM FN), DD, KAC or HK CHF that would print in excess of 1.5 MOA with a match 5.56 load. The honors of the best printed groups was by a DD just for the record....

TL;DR...it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 07-07-20 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    I've been seeing this trend fairly consistently. No account yet for "life" as I'm fresh back on the DD barrels as of this past year.

At least in the 16", DD's are far more conservatively gassed...0.072 vs. FN OEM's 0.078" ports.

In borescoping (which doesn't mean shit really) CHF barrels...HK's are hands down the cleanest. FN's really run the gamut of nearly HK-level of clean (no tool marks) to ugly...even in the higher-quality contract stuff like Hodge and Noveske. DD's have generally been more cleaner and free of tooling marks than compared to FN.

I've yet to have any FN (be it Rainier Mountain, Noveske, Hodge or OEM FN), DD, KAC or HK CHF that would print in excess of 1.5 MOA with a match 5.56 load. The honors of the best printed groups was by a DD just for the record....

Hi,
    Wondering....

How does the DD barrels compare with the HK, with your borescope???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    While I'm considering upper receivers, any experience with the Forward Controls Designs billet upper? Specifically curious about how tight a fit the upper/barrel will be. One of the reasons I'm looking at the Lantac is they've required thermal fitting for all 3 I've built on. I'm going with a Forward Controls Forward Assist anyway, maybe I should consider the full upper?
    My billet uppers have not been as tight as my two tightest fitting standard forged uppers by BCM (very tight, requires heat) and MEGA forged standard (also required heat). As I said before, I don't know what happened to MEGA, but BCM has a reputation for tight fitting uppers, but they are not billet.

Forward Controls has a reputation for tight tolerances. I would suggest calling them if you have a question.

BTW - Its generally a little better to use the same vendor for critical parts of the rifle. Especially Bolt and Carrier, upper/lower, sometimes BCG and barrel, not that I necessary follow my own advice. But I always run the same carrier/bolt manufacturer. I think that might have been what Stickman was trying to say, but he is far too polite to say it.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-07-20 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    My billet uppers have not been as tight as my two tightest fitting standard forged uppers by BCM (very tight, requires heat) and MEGA forged standard (also required heat). As I said before, I don't know what happened to MEGA, but BCM has a reputation for tight fitting uppers, but they are not billet.

Forward Controls has a reputation for tight tolerances. I would suggest calling them if you have a question.

BTW - Its generally a little better to use the same vendor for critical parts of the rifle. Especially Bolt and Carrier, upper/lower, sometimes BCG and barrel, not that I necessary follow my own advice. But I always run the same carrier/bolt manufacturer. I think that might have been what Stickman was trying to say, but he is far too polite to say it.
    Unquestionably good, sound advice to follow, but I like to research and tinker and tweak. Half the fun of it. Sourcing the best parts I can find...

If it takes a little longer to find something or pay for it, that's okay. I have a wife who actually supports my hobby. Lucky that way.

I may well wait until Rainier or JSE Surplus get another run of Mega branded uppers from Zev as they do a few limited productions every few months.

The lower btw is an MVB Forged Ambi lower. Very slick, innovative little piece of kit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post

Interesting, my DD barrel/BCG combo doesn't shoot any better than 1.5 - 2 MOA, and my buddy's M4V7 (which I bought him as a gift) doesn't shoot any better than that. I was a little embarrassed actually.

I think a bore scope can definitely tell you if you have a problem barrel, but I don't think a clean barrel will absolutely indicate an accurate barrel.

This brings me to an observation I've made over the years; Barrels are a crap shoot.

I have barrels that I didn't think would be much better than average that turned out to be sub-MOA and barrels that were promised to be accurate turn out to be about average.

I think you can improve your chances by going with a manufacturer that uses better quality control, but within that sample there will still be a variation.

Then, there are the shooters. Sorry to say it, but most guys were never taught how to shoot, and some use crap ammo to gauge their rifle's accuracy. Then they report it on the Internet and it becomes an article of faith.

Anyway, I found the CHF Noveske barrels I have to be good 1 - 1.25 MOA barrels.

But as I said before my most accurate barrels are a Light CHF 14.5" BCM and a stainless 16" BCM. The former is .5-.75 MOA, the latter other is at or slightly better than 1MOA.

That doesn't mean that everyone, or anyone, will get the same results I do with the same barrels.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-07-20 at 14:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Unquestionably good, sound advice to follow, but I like to research and tinker and tweak. Half the fun of it. Sourcing the best parts I can find...

If it takes a little longer to find something or pay for it, that's okay. I have a wife who actually supports my hobby. Lucky that way.

I may well wait until Rainier or JSE Surplus get another run of Mega branded uppers from Zev as they do a few limited productions every few months.

The lower btw is an MVB Forged Ambi lower. Very slick, innovative little piece of kit.
    LOL about the wife. Same here, I got her into guns and now I don't have too much trouble with the gun hobby. I was on a hiatus from guns for a couple years (I got into knives), but now I'm back to guns.

Now, with the kooks in the streets, and my small town getting boarded up, she doesn't even blink if I want some gun related stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    LOL about the wife. Same here, I got her into guns and now I don't have too much trouble with the gun hobby. I was on a hiatus from guns for a couple years (I got into knives), but now I'm back to guns.

Now, with the kooks in the streets, and my small town getting boarded up, she doesn't even blink if I want some gun related stuff.
    Yeah, she's literally telling me to buy/build more guns with everything going on right now. We're really quite blessed.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Wondering....

How does the DD barrels compare with the HK, with your borescope???
    HK:

DD:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast