Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SOFTT-W vs CAT, ease of application?

Feedback Score
    Both the CAT and SOF-TW are approved by the CoTCCC and CCCWG. It is important to select a TQ based on accredited testing bodies. So you are good to go!

Really when it comes to rapid compression and occlusion of vessels, either would be sufficient. I have used both in training and in operations. And, I have been satisfied with the performance.

Simple reality, your level of familiarity with a specific piece of equipment lends fluid and problem free application. Both the SOF-TW and the CAT are excellent TQs. After you decide on which one you are going to carry: buy three.

1. Primary TQ- carried center of mass in a dedicated TQ pouch. This protects it from the environment and readily available at all times.

2. Secondary TQ- in your IFAK, FAK, BOK or whatever you call it. This is for application should the first TQ not adequately control exsanguination. It is applied proximal to the injury and first TQ.

3. The final TQ is your training TQ. Buy it in a different color or mark it as your training TQ. Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    My preference is the CAT. Easy one handed operation. Lots of people are familiar with it. I adjust the buckles beforehand as well.

Some cons are that it's plastic. I've seen some broken windlass's before. Velcro can get all dirtied up.

Whatever you do use, practice, practice, practice.

Feedback Score
    I have used both and I prefer the CAT just because its what I'm used to. Its incredibly easy to use one or two handed and its not that often that the plastic has an impact. Try them both and pick which ever one you are most comfortable with.

VMI-MO Guest
    I wore CATs on me during deployments and never had any get sunbaked. We even rode with medbags on the back of our vics with CATs strapped to the outside. They were normally covered in mud, sand and exposed to the weather. Never any issues.

The CAT is by far the easiest to apply to yourself when you are down a limb. I have never seen, or heard a first hand source on their lack of durability. There are alot of chinese knock offs floating around so make sure yours are legit. A big issue with the CAT is its limited throw. You have a little over an inch of cinch you can get out of it. This just means you must really cinch it tight by hand before cranking on it. With leg wounds you have to feed the end through both slots, this can be problematic.

The SOFT-T is easy to apply to yourself and is built very rigid. Its problem is with the set screw. They tend to be forgotten and can cake with dirt/mud or rust making the set screw difficult to use. There is also the chance you may forget to set the screw at all making this very easy to pop off accidentally.

The SOFT-TW is my new favorite. While not as easy to apply to ones self as the CAT its got alot of throw to it and can be cinched down hard, fast. Its locking mechanism is also dead on.

The MET is hard to apply to yourself however has unlimted throw and can be quickly set on others if the limb is impinged. It is also built like a tank.

So which one is best?
    Mix and match. The ones I keep on the outside of my kit (that I would use on myself) are CATs. Med bags/IFAKs get SOFT-W. Cover all the bases.

Feedback Score
    I prefer the SOF-T. Use one personally and at work. It works as advertised.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Both good to go. I prefer the second gen soft-t if you go that route. The CAT is maybe marginally easier to use.

Don't buy TQs on ebay, buy from a reputable dealer.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VMI-MO View Post
    The CAT is by far the easiest to apply to yourself when you are down a limb. I have never seen, or heard a first hand source on their lack of durability. There are alot of chinese knock offs floating around so make sure yours are legit. A big issue with the CAT is its limited throw. You have a little over an inch of cinch you can get out of it. This just means you must really cinch it tight by hand before cranking on it. With leg wounds you have to feed the end through both slots, this can be problematic.
    I have personally seen multiple CATs break on one of my Marines when being applied to both legs. IIRC a NATO was used as the CATs kept breaking. After that I would personally never rely on them to work.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaJJackson View Post
    I have personally seen multiple CATs break on one of my Marines when being applied to both legs. IIRC a NATO was used as the CATs kept breaking. After that I would personally never rely on them to work.
    What time period was this?

This was addressed in TCCC. The only documented cases attributed this to buying subpar/Chinese knockoffs on Ebay either by families of the service men or by themselves. Alternatively, TQs are only meant to be used once, which is why they sell "practice" samples. If you buy genuine CAT TQs you should have no problem.

If you have other information/case studies, I would be genuinely interested to see them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    What time period was this?

This was addressed in TCCC. The only documented cases attributed this to buying subpar/Chinese knockoffs on Ebay either by families of the service men or by themselves. Alternatively, TQs are only meant to be used once, which is why they sell "practice" samples. If you buy genuine CAT TQs you should have no problem.

If you have other information/case studies, I would be genuinely interested to see them.
    This was 2009 all TQs were not used in practiced and all "issued" from the corpsman.

I had talked to someone from MARCORSYSCOM about this and said there was a study looking into it but hadn't heard anything come from it. Was told the issue they were having with studies is the surgeons in the end who saw the casualties had no issues because they had always seen that the CATS did their job. So in their minds they were golden, but they weren't seeing how many times it took to get them properly applied if there was issues with them breaking.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Let me check with my buddy, and I'll get back to you. He's more current as to what's being used by special operations.

What you say may be confirmed, though I took TCCC in 2011 and the story at that point was that after investigation, all cases turned out to be either recycled from training or bought on ebay.

The SOFT-T is a great TQ if you're worried about it.

For a size consideration, I also really like the SWAT-T, though it takes a bit more practice to use but it can be used 1-handed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast