Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gas Block Alignment Pins

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Yeah, if you absolutely want to nail that DPMS Oracle clone build.
    Your obviously not an engineer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Wow,

Its not rocket science. The gas hole in the gas block (GB) is 180 degrees from the hole in the bottom. The gas port in the barrel is top dead center. A quick check with the GB upside-down determines if a gap between GB and barrel shoulder is required - assuming the barrel has a shoulder.

Again,..............that works, BUT, it would be better if the makers of the gas block told you in advance what gas block your buying so you wouldnt buy something designed to go flush with the barrel shoulder and you plan on using a handguard cap.

I first came across this issue years ago installing Osprey piston kits on aftermarket gas blocks which "require" precise alignment. That .025" thick handguard cap difference is critical.
    Last edited by the AR-15 Junkie; 10-09-19 at 08:48.

Feedback Score
    I have an engineering degree, but most of my time is spent herding adults in the same direction.

Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    Your obviously not an engineer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    I have an engineering degree, but most of my time is spent herding adults in the same direction.
    lol, when the personal insults started from you that's when I knew you no longer had anything of sustenance to add to the discussion.
    Last edited by the AR-15 Junkie; 10-09-19 at 10:07.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Are some of you guys really to cheap to buy a 35$ jig to do things right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    On the contrary. I've been nothing but helpful. I should take it as a slight against me for you to assume that I don't possess certain post-secondary education because you have issues finding a gas block that allows a handguard cap or not. That's on you, bud.

As for what I said about what I do lately, I was referring to the fact that I currently get paid to manage people, and that I am no longer engineering products. Just thought I should clear that up for you so that you know I wasn't referring to you or anyone else on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    lol, when the personal insults started from you that's when I knew you no longer had anything of sustenance to add to the discussion.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Are some of you guys really to cheap to buy a 35$ jig to do things right?
    I'm too cheap to buy a $35 tool to make a job I will do once easier. A jig is not required to dimple a barrel for a gas block correctly, it increases efficiency when performing the task multiple times. A careless person can screw up with or without a jig.

Can I borrow your jig next time?

Andy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm too cheap to buy a $35 tool to make a job I will do once easier. A jig is not required to dimple a barrel for a gas block correctly, it increases efficiency when performing the task multiple times. A careless person can screw up with or without a jig.

Andy
    You can always buy new and then sell on EE when you are done. Then consider the gap between new and what you receive as a rental fee. I did this with my first BRD jig, but have since started building and tooled up considerably.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Andy
    No because I don’t lend tools to poors who appreciate quality equipment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Andy
    You can borrow mine if you send me two USPS priority boxes with stamps affixed - one so I can mail it to you, the second so I know you are serious about returning my jig.

Do the math on that, and then buy this: https://midstatefirearms.com/Cheap-a...dimple-jig.htm

Seriously, though, I get your point. I've probably installed a dozen Geissele Carbon Steel gas blocks without a jig, with no problems. I bought the jig because it speeds the process, and I like to have tools specific to the task. I also have a set of tappet wrenches I bought primarily for muzzle devices - I just felt kind of redneck using the notches cut into the armorers wrench. In fact, I bought a castle nut wrench so I wouldn't have to use the single round pin castle nut fixture on the armorer's wrench. In fact, since I pretty much exclusively use ALG Defense rails, and they have a proprietary barrel nu, I wonder why I even have an armorer's wrench.

ETA: I'd be all-over a clamshell jig that would allow me to clamp it in the machinists vise on my drill press to pin the Geissele blocks. Even though I've done several, it is still kind of a harrowing operation, a jig would be nice.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 10-09-19 at 15:01.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast