Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife sharpener progress

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Knife sharpener progress

So I started out like most with a bowed worn dual grit wet stone that got handed down from either a grandpa or dad. I could get a decent edge but always seemed to get it just about right and then get greedy at the end and wipe out the edge I was after.

Next was the invention of Diamond stones. They were ok. They solved or reduced the bowing, but you could never re-profile them back flat. They still seemed to remove too much material if one has too heavy of a touch. I then fell for the marketing and purchased a Lansky Diamond kit. I turned out several good edges with this kit, but the short narrow strokes were so aggravating.

I finally arrived at the Apex 4 sharpening system. This is like a lansky on steroids. It is so nice to get a decent wide stroke and a consistent angle. You can even true your stones back up. I tell you this is the nicest edge I have ever put on a knife and I am only going up the the 1000grit stone. I feel I could mirror polish the edge if I cared to with the lapping/fine grit sandpaper stones.

I was going to try the belt systems, but they seemed overly complicated for what they are and run the risk of removing too much material or rounding tips.

APEX is where it is at for me as of now. I did add the desk clamp mount as I did not care for the little bit of bounce from the suction cups.

What are you all using to tune up your blades?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you tried the Shapton Glass stones on it yet? Very quick and they are splash and go.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I remember setting out to master knife sharpening with 30 minutes of internet training. I gave up quickly. It is as hard as you can imagine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Spyderco knife sharpening kit has served me well the past few years. It's not expensive, does a good job, and it's easy to use. You shouldn't need a degree in rocket science to use a knife sharpener, which The Apex and other similar "systems" seem to require.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    The Spyderco knife sharpening kit has served me well the past few years. It's not expensive, does a good job, and it's easy to use. You shouldn't need a degree in rocket science to use a knife sharpener, which The Apex and other similar "systems" seem to require.
    Yep the spyderco sharpmaker kit is the easy button.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Spyderco system looks like a good setup for a quick touch up. I would end up boogering the edge some way if it was a blade that needs some serious attention or to be re-profiled. It looks good on the YouTube demo of it. I guess it is all in getting the feel for whatever system you have on hand.

Adrenaline_6, have not tried the glass stones yet. Looking for a stone that fits the APEX on the Shapton website and having trouble finding it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Spyderco system looks like a good setup for a quick touch up. I would end up boogering the edge some way if it was a blade that needs some serious attention or to be re-profiled. It looks good on the YouTube demo of it. I guess it is all in getting the feel for whatever system you have on hand.

Adrenaline_6, have not tried the glass stones yet. Looking for a stone that fits the APEX on the Shapton website and having trouble finding it.
    You're over thinking this. Knife sharpening does not require extreme accuracy. I've gotten knives to razor sharp with the Spyderco Sharpmaker that were just above butter knife sharp before I started.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I like the KME system. It's a rod and stone set up. Goof proof.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    You're over thinking this. Knife sharpening does not require extreme accuracy. I've gotten knives to razor sharp with the Spyderco Sharpmaker that were just above butter knife sharp before I started.
    I have the Sharpmaker also. I like it and use it a lot. It cannot do what an Apex or similar can (in a respectable amount of time). Damaged..chips...reprofiling...etc..that job will suck with a Sharpmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post

Here you go. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shglstforedp.html

I have the 500, 1K, 4K, and 8K stones. They cut so fast. I also bought the Atoma diamond flattening plate for future use.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have the edge Pro as well. Worth every penny but it still takes practice to do correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast