Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Haley Skimmer trigger for Glocks?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    As I recall the discussion was specifically about the trigger action, not the guard. We discussed springs, sending guns off to a 'Smith, etc.

This was in a 1911 class I took with him last year (not through GG).
    Hmm, can't say that I have heard that discussion before.

Some guns have poor triggers in them and do need a little trigger work done to them IMHO. The Glock isn't one of them. Bone stock, it is very good.

I think there is a HUGE difference between doing some polish work and installing what I would call "Race Gun" components.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 12-27-11 at 08:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo M3 View Post

Video Comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0mH...ature=youtu.be

Lets open this up for discussion

Cosmo,

There's no vid in the link. Anyway you could get that back up? Thanks.

For curiosity's sake, I'm interested how this differs from the the Glockworx Drop-In trigger bar (polished with pretravel reduction mod) which sells for $80?. Or even the complete kit for $130?
    Last edited by CQC.45; 12-27-11 at 09:41.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I think there is a HUGE difference between doing some polish work and putting in what I would call "Race Gun" components.
    Agreed 100%.

I personally think the kit www.GlockTriggers.com has put together here qualifies more as "polish work" rather than "race gun".

I have discussed the intended use for some of the different kits they produce with the owner as it relates to safety. He will be the first to tell you not to put one of his competition kits in a carry gun. I point blank asked him if he was saying that from a liability standpoint or if he really believed it. He said he really believed it and he would NOT suggest putting the competition kits in a carry gun. He now has a kit he does sell that he considers safe for duty/carry use .... well, not I guess he has two.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Agreed 100%.

I personally think the kit www.GlockTriggers.com has put together here qualifies more as "polish work" rather than "race gun".

I have discussed the intended use for some of the different kits they produce with the owner as it relates to safety. He will be the first to tell you not to put one of his competition kits in a carry gun. I point blank asked him if he was saying that from a liability standpoint or if he really believed it. He said he really believed it and he would NOT suggest putting the competition kits in a carry gun. He now has a kit he does sell that he considers safe for duty/carry use .... well, not I guess he has two.
    It could be. Where it becomes questionable is when you start messing with pre-travel on a gun with no safety.

YMMV.

C4

Feedback Score
    Make no mistake, the skimmer is more than just a polish job. At the minimum from what I can see from the pics that have been posted, the trigger bars are shortened and the trigger pin placement has been moved. Again this is not uncommon or fairly typical when heading down the path of what I would consider a race or range only trigger using factory type components. Just depends on how far you want to go with it. The skimmer from what I can tell and from video is still fairly tame when talking race triggers. The full polish of all surfaces is mostly for looks. Sure is pretty though and I am sure the visual appeal can't hurt sales either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Surf,

Off topic. I saw your video on trigger skills and sadly if you said that to me in person I would pay you $160 vs. getting the Skimmer.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I just installed this trigger on a customer's gun. Feels the same to me but with less pre-travel. I don't know if that's worth the $150+ in itself. I'm a stock trigger guy when it comes to my glocks and tier 1 AR15s. I guess I just saved me a bunch of money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wl518 View Post
    Surf,

Off topic. I saw your video on trigger skills and sadly if you said that to me in person I would pay you $160 vs. getting the Skimmer.
    Thanks I appreciate the nice comment. Nothing replaces quality instruction in regards to base fundamentals such as trigger control. Unfortunately there are many who would like to believe that a fancy trigger on any weapon, including the AR/M4 is the holy grail to fixing a problem. Instead we should perhaps fix the shooter and not the trigger, which Mr Vickers eludes to above. Instead people throw money at things that will mask their own deficiencies and not really address the base issues of a shooters own skill levels and their knowledge of basic fundamentals and the correct application those fundamentals. Travis H. I am sure would agree on this idea and I am fairly certain that he does not intend this product to be considered a band aid fix to a shooters own fundamental issues, but to enhance a skilled shooter. Unfortunately many go the band aid route, which I blame on our push button, I want it now society.

Again thanks for the nice comments and thanks for watching the video's!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    My advice to all of you would be to simply quote the Simon Golob rule ( a classic line stated by him at an AK class)

'If you try and turn AK into an M4 you bring the M4 problems along with it'

In this case ' if you try and turn a Glock into a 1911 you bring the 1911 problems along with it'

My advice for everyone is get to a place skill wise where you can be effective with stock triggers in any serviceable firearm - this was a moment of clarity I had quite a while back and have lived by it ever since - hence why the vast majority of my weapons have stock trigger setups

Constantly looking for the magic trigger can be a curse with unintended consequences

Be safe

LAV
    Lots of truth here, and almost anyone in LE can can tell you that's how it goes. I'm grateful my issued pistol has a fantastic trigger (to me anyway, a lot of people bitch about it but I love it).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am new to the sport, but enjoyed the commentary on this and wanted to add to the discussion.

It would seem that this industry is on built upon making things better to a point where it doesn't become worse. In plate carriers, medical kits and several other items improvements to our ability to bring them into play faster and more efficiently with comfort and a lack of inefficiency is seen as a good thing. Yet with this invention it seems that law suits and the need to use a stock trigger well, override the advancements that this trigger is looking to bring about.

On the point of bringing problems with the 1911 trigger with it, valid point. However this seems to more a matter of bringing the efficiencies of the 1911 trigger forward and not the actual trigger. He states that it is not a 1911 trigger in a glock. He expresses the idea that it is an efficient design and for that reason it is being brought forward into the Glock. It appears based on the video that it accomplishes this task. As a learning point for me, what are the problems that are coming with it?

One of the major reasons that the trigger was designed was to increase speed. Physics tells us that an object moving the same speed over a longer distance will take longer than over a shorter distance. This new trigger was designed to eliminate inefficiency and allow a shooter to reset and fire more quickly with a predictable wall and reset. I am interested in why this is seen as a bad thing and would like to hear some of your opinions in order to learn.

On the topic of lawsuits I don't think that the lack of pre-travel is a problem if you know your trigger. The trigger safety is still there and cannot be fired without your finger depressing it. In fact the trigger is more predictable and there is no slop and unknown break point. If your finger has gone to the trigger and you are on target then you have already made some decisions that will be admissible in court. Some suggested simply making the improvements yourself and it would seem that this would introduce even more liability if you are worried about this. It seems that if you ever have to use it you want to be consistent and efficient with a good probability of hitting what you are aiming at. For the same learning point above why is there such resistance to this idea? It seems that the shooting community mirrors the public Screwels system in that it caters to the lowest common denominator.

In the videos that Travis is part of I have never seen him state that you should not be able to operate different weapons with stock triggers. In his classes he advocates for adaptability and consistency across platforms with a focus on fundamentals. Love to hear your comments and thank you for the great discussion on this product it is helping me to make a buy or not decision.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast