Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is the free float rail the default these days?

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    I like my Geiselle 9.5" rails on my shorty uppers.

It gives me a little more room, offers a convenient place to put my Surefire X300, I can load on a barricade and my sling, and (the last. but least) they look cool.

I also have more assurance in how long the Geiselle barrel nut is. It makes a rather stout foundation.
    Last edited by RMiller; 11-11-19 at 09:02.

Feedback Score
    Free float specifically: all the benefits of a handguard and no/reduced issues of deflection.
    There are no benefits to a non-free float over free float other than cost (that I can think of).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    Man, I really hate this analogy as it doesn't make sense. The arrow is the ammo, so if you have crap ammo then it might not be the Indian. Same goes for the bow. If you have a sh1tty bow then again it might not be the Indian's fault. Anyway, I digress......sorry.
    I agree. Skill trumps gear, but at some point gear can hold you back. People just need to be realistic about their skill level.
    A good shooter with a shitty rifle will have mediocre results.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We have ours made by CMT, it's not too different from what CMT makes, it's simply our interpretation of how FCD does hand guards: simple, robust, without varnish, it is one of the pieces in the complete FCD upper and full FCD AR puzzle. We moved on to other things long ago.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    NVM...
    Last edited by sig1473; 11-11-19 at 13:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What about from a manufacturer / assembler standpoint?

Is a set screw gas block and FF rail easier to properly and consistently assemble versus a pinned FSB and delta ring?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Tactical Yoga

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post

Is a set screw gas block and FF rail easier to properly and consistently assemble versus a pinned FSB and delta ring?
    On the consumer side, yes for most people. A manufacturer though should be setup to properly drill and pin FSB's, but the process to install a FF rail can be done on your kitchen table with a clamp on vice and a reaction rod.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post

Ask PSA how hard it is to properly pin a FSB.

Feedback Score
    For me, in addition to what has already been mentioned, a big reason was to have an unobstructed field of view. Red dots are very common now and it’s nice to have a clear view without a front sight post in the way. Add the reliability and long battery life of modern red dots and it’s tempting to forego the FSB.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast