Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Civility (aka the "We Will Crush Your Balls" edict).

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by An Undocumented Worker View Post
    Whatever happened to pointing/timeout or just plain banning the **** out of the people who don't get it?
    Godzilla ate the penalty box.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on Jackalope food?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Whatever happened to pointing/timeout or just plain banning the **** out of the people who don't get it?
    I would think the mods don't have time to keep up with every thread and problem user or tiff like AC pointed out so rely on self policing to some point which can make a situation worse. Then there's the report post which I don't feel like being a snitch usually unless it's a really offensive or sick post. Ignoring instigators/trolls can work but some people keep on so I don't have as big of a problem reporting them.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Not taking anything away from your point, but go to any of the more contentious threads from the past week, and tell us who should have been shown to the door. It always involves a judgment call, and it is one that is made more difficult by the fact that by the time we show up, there are usually four or five guys in the thick of the fight. Who started it? Who aggravated it? Who is just totally out of line, and who is gaming the whole process by posting things that could easily be viewed either way? How much is really too much?

Make no mistake: we will get a handle on this, but rather than firing indiscriminately into crowds, we are going to be looking for specific ignition sources. That's not always an easy thing to do, but people get understandably irritated when they are singled-out unfairly, and pretty much everyone is quick to protest their innocence or explain how they were clearly provoked.

Hence the larger problem ...

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Not taking anything away from your point, but go to any of the more contentious threads from the past week, and tell us who should have been shown to the door. It always involves a judgment call, and it is one that is made more difficult by the fact that by the time we show up, there are usually four or five guys in the thick of the fight. Who started it? Who aggravated it? Who is just totally out of line, and who is gaming the whole process by posting things that could easily be viewed either way? How much is really too much?

Make no mistake: we will get a handle on this, but rather than firing indiscriminately into crowds, we are going to be looking for specific ignition sources. That's not always an easy thing to do, but people get understandably irritated when they are singled-out unfairly, and pretty much everyone is quick to protest their innocence or explain how they were clearly provoked.

Hence the larger problem ...

AC
    I can understand the desire to get to the root cause of a flare up, but they don't happen without people throwing fuel on the fire. At another forum I frequent, they have a points system. 21 points and you go on vacation till enough points expire to get you under the limit. Swear filter dodges, personal attacks all have various point values, along with the much loved "tool" points for acting like a tool. Some points don't ever expire, such as those for racist comments which equal 9 points.

So it seems it would be much simpler to point all of those involved and let them selfregulate. The blatant repeat instigators will inturn end up on vacation or banned, while those who just typically fuel the fire will stop bringing so much fuel with em.

I fully understand this is your forum and want to run it as you see fit, but I'm just pointing out what works elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's why these are called "command decisions".....
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I can understand the desire to get to the root cause of a flare up, but they don't happen without people throwing fuel on the fire. At another forum I frequent, they have a points system. 21 points and you go on vacation till enough points expire to get you under the limit. Swear filter dodges, personal attacks all have various point values, along with the much loved "tool" points for acting like a tool. Some points don't ever expire, such as those for racist comments which equal 9 points.
    Actually, we do have a very similar -- if not identical -- infraction system installed here; I just (personally) prefer not to use it when a word of correction will suffice.

Unfortunately, we have now reached a point of no return for some.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score

Re: Civility (aka the "We Will Crush Your Balls" edict).

So it seems it would be much simpler to point all of those involved and let them selfregulate. The blatant repeat instigators will inturn end up on vacation or banned, while those who just typically fuel the fire will stop bringing so much fuel with em.

I fully understand this is your forum and want to run it as you see fit, but I'm just pointing out what works elsewhere.
    So on this other forum a person could call someone, say the N word twice and not get booted? Is it the DemocraticUnderground? Caught you.

No I think moderation here is pretty simple and effective. Some people just like to fight to their bitter end and that will most likely never change.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    ‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
    — Mahatma Ghandi

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TriviaMonster View Post
    So on this other forum a person could call someone, say the N word twice and not get booted? Is it the DemocraticUnderground? Caught you.

No I think moderation here is pretty simple and effective. Some people just like to fight to their bitter end and that will most likely never change.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    If a person is willing to spout off racist swill twice, they'll f up and do it again and get the boot.

Lately it seems like it's been a bunch of children running around tearing down the house while the babysitter is sitting on the couch watching tv and yapping on the phone with her stoner boyfriend. The occasional idle yell of STFU to the kids goes unheard.

Chief says there are tools in the toolbox, albeit a bit rusty; it seems like it's time to shine em up.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Re: Civility (aka the "We Will Crush Your Balls" edict).

If a person is willing to spout off racist swill twice, they'll f up and do it again and get the boot.

Lately it seems like it's been a bunch of children running around tearing down the house while the babysitter is sitting on the couch watching tv and yapping on the phone with her stoner boyfriend. The occasional idle yell of STFU to the kids goes unheard.

Chief says there are tools in the toolbox, albeit a bit rusty; it seems like it's time to shine em up.
    The report post link seems to be working. Maybe it was what helped clean up this thread.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What got this thread cleaned up was AC getting justifiably frustrated with some dippo deliberately introducing a religious Less Filling/Tastes Great idiocy where it clearly didn't belong.

Report Post is the most underutilized direct-redress method on the forum. It's available to EVERYBODY, and takes either exactly as much or LESS time than it does to try and play vigilante or prove how clever a rejoinder one can conjure up (and probably make matters worse in the process).

No member will ever get dinged for "overuse" of it. Given our numbers, and the fact that the staff DOES have jobs, poopy diapers, hobbies, etc. to see to, "overuse" is a preposterous idea.

However, using the Comments portion of Report Post as one's personal soapbox to give the staff a ration of shit for the crime of not being in 16 places at once....?

Yeah, the problem'll still get looked at, but that'll get you told to GFY, if not squashed. There's more than one of you that can testify that I'll zap your ass for making THAT stupid move, even of some other staffer saw to the item we were being alerted over. "...but I was just FRUSTRATED....!" Great, you can be additionally frustrated over having been temp-banned for mistaking Report Post for our quarterly employee performance review, Mr. Jack Wagon Who's Not Our Boss.

Just point stuff out to us. We'll do the analysis. Giggity.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast