Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Taming the 10.5

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    We've got an informal endurance test going on a 10.3" carbine.

Its currently over 2500 rounds with no detectable change in port size.
    wouldnt the gas port on the barrel erode before the reduced port on the gas tube? In a round about kinda way this may be the better way to gas a gun?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Hey, great post! I have no way of actually testing the tube to verify that it is 7075 vs 6061, I just assumed that these budget builds had the cheap stuff. If what you say is true then I might have saved some cash, as I wouldnt need a new buffer tube or even buffer at this point.

I havent tried the A5 system yet. I am in the middle of a move and reno, but was fortunate enough to find time to install my BRT gas tube and test function. With a H2 buffer the BRT gas tube seems to have helped smoothed the gun out abit. Still not like my mid length's, (some comped) but that's to be expected. The BRT tube cycled and locked back on steel cased, my 77gr reloads and hornady frontier 556. Overall I am satisfied with the purchase, but still feel the gun would benefit from a A5 and comp if ultimate smoothness is what I am chasing. In reality I hate comps, and probably wont do the A5 anymore if my buffer tube is durable enough. I'll just shoot it till it's hot.
    like you I have no way of testing the tube either (destructive testing is really the only verifiable way I've heard) and I'm no guru, but I had come across the PSA rep saying that yesterday so it was fresh in my mind and was just relaying what I read. I did some googling in the last hour and it seems that question came up a couple of times in 2018 and the PSA rep basically said that they quit using 6061 tubes because it was too much of a pain to stock both AND deal with customer complaints constantly asking for the 7075 tubes, so they switched over permanently a few years back and just stock the 7075 to make things easy.

Yeah, If you're happy with the performance I see no need to switch unless you have a hankering for the A5 system (which I hear is pretty bad@ss). If you're happy with how it feels then just shoot that sucker. It's a PSA gun, not a gucci build, shoot that boy and have fun

Feedback Score
    Couple things.

First, I'd like to believe PSA about their receiver extensions being 7075. I really have no way of knowing, but their line up includes one that says Mil-spec (probably regarding dimensions rather than materials) and another one 7075. Where I fall out of bed is how there product ads will sometimes say 7075 and sometimes not. This being for kits and complete rifles. What is also dubious is their specification that their individually sold 7075 tube IS dry film lubricated, so what's the deal there? See for yourself.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...tube-7075.html
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...be-778129.html

Secondly, when it comes to short barrels, I've never seen the application of the A5 system more at home. While not as profound on ~16" guns, on 10.5"/11.5"/12.5" it's very effective. Now, is it worth completely swapping out a perfectly good carbine setup? Perhaps not. But if you can repurpose the parts to another build (or sell them) then I say pull out that credit card!

Feedback Score
    Oh, forgot to add. What's this thing made of?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ck-778128.html

Fluted, no mention of dry lube or materials. Amazing price for 7075. Someone asked what material it is, no answer yet. And such an insightful review lol.

Feedback Score
    Oddly, my PSA 10.5 upper shot with not much more recoil than regular carbine gas. I plan to swap out the buffer for an H2 or H3 and install a milspec recoil spring to reduce parts wear and tear, but I could shoot it "as is" without any problem.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Hey, great post! I have no way of actually testing the tube to verify that it is 7075 vs 6061, I just assumed that these budget builds had the cheap stuff. If what you say is true then I might have saved some cash, as I wouldnt need a new buffer tube or even buffer at this point.

I havent tried the A5 system yet. I am in the middle of a move and reno, but was fortunate enough to find time to install my BRT gas tube and test function. With a H2 buffer the BRT gas tube seems to have helped smoothed the gun out abit. Still not like my mid length's, (some comped) but that's to be expected. The BRT tube cycled and locked back on steel cased, my 77gr reloads and hornady frontier 556. Overall I am satisfied with the purchase, but still feel the gun would benefit from a A5 and comp if ultimate smoothness is what I am chasing. In reality I hate comps, and probably wont do the A5 anymore if my buffer tube is durable enough. I'll just shoot it till it's hot.
    I have ran an A5 on my BA 10.3 since I built it. I use the A5 on every build I do (for me and for others) unless a different buffer system is required as with my Troy Tomahawk. I have no reason whatsoever to change. I believe it’s a smoother more reliable option, short and longterm. I will also tell you that my 10.3 is [ ]FUN[/B] to shoot. It’s not an untamed wild horse, but an exceptional, well-managed, accurate rifle. Firefly got a chance to shoot it a few weeks ago and I was barely able to pry it out of his hands at the end of the day. If I don’t have to reach out there, it will be the first rifle I grab because it’s ran flawlessly since I built it several years ago. Prior to my can getting out of jail I had a Battlecomp and an AFAB Mini on it for a while, both worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Wouldn't the gas port on the barrel erode before the reduced port on the gas tube? In a round about kinda way this may be the better way to gas a gun?
    The downstream side of the gas port at the junction to the bore is where most of the wear occurs due to gas "cutting the corner".

The gas tube is subjected to less aggressive wear and holds up pretty well.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Couple things.

First, I'd like to believe PSA about their receiver extensions being 7075. I really have no way of knowing, but their line up includes one that says Mil-spec (probably regarding dimensions rather than materials) and another one 7075. Where I fall out of bed is how there product ads will sometimes say 7075 and sometimes not. This being for kits and complete rifles. What is also dubious is their specification that their individually sold 7075 tube IS dry film lubricated, so what's the deal there? See for yourself.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...tube-7075.html
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...be-778129.html

Secondly, when it comes to short barrels, I've never seen the application of the A5 system more at home. While not as profound on ~16" guns, on 10.5"/11.5"/12.5" it's very effective. Now, is it worth completely swapping out a perfectly good carbine setup? Perhaps not. But if you can repurpose the parts to another build (or sell them) then I say pull out that credit card!
    not to be super defensive of PSA, but most of those descriptions have been on PSA's site for literally YEARS. They've always had random descriptions that almost seem like they were written by different people on different days and are never updated no matter what they change lol. if you look at the reviews of the "7075 tube" you linked to some of the people even state that it didn't come with the dry film lube. PSA is probably using the same description they've used since 2011 or something

again, not trying to be defense of PSA, just saying that their descriptions have always been a bit slap dash of what they provide in their kits from item to item and relaying what had been said by an official rep elsewhere. Nothing more
    Last edited by msedward43; 07-09-19 at 11:36.

Feedback Score
    Fair enough, and thanks for your insight. If this is the case, PSA is really doing themselves a disservice by not staying on top of accurate descriptions of their product line. Savvy customers want to know what's what!

Not always, but most times if the description doesn't say it, it probably doesn't have it--whatever that feature may be. I really hate to have to guess, so sometimes I look at price point for comparable goods and weigh out my decisions there. I know that a standard Vltor carbine length 7075 RE fetches around $40ish dollars, and it's a known high-quality item. When I see what looks to be "just as good as" for half the money, I have to be skeptical of what I could be getting. Sales/MFG volume, QC, etc. notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by msedward43 View Post
    not to be super defensive of PSA, but most of those descriptions have been on PSA's site for literally YEARS. They've always had random descriptions that almost seem like they were written by different people on different days and are never updated no matter what they change lol. if you look at the reviews of the "7075 tube" you linked to some of the people even state that it didn't come with the dry film lube. PSA is probably using the same description they've used since 2011 or something

again, not trying to be defense of PSA, just saying that their descriptions have always been a bit slap dash of what they provide in their kits from item to item and relaying what had been said by an official rep elsewhere. Nothing more

Feedback Score
    oh I agree with you. Drives me nuts when you don't get accurate descriptions. My only suspicion (and it's been hinted at before by different reps) but they most likely have interns or low level employees writing up their descriptions without a set "this needs to be spelled out, this doesn't" and things get crossed and cris crossed in tersm of info. It's one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Sionics, BCM, SOLGW etc... you don't doubt anything. As for the receiver extension, I'd be more likely to believe that they're using 7075 simply because it's easier to get one product and cheap 7075 tubes have been out for years (heck, Anderson has sold their 7075 tubes for literally YEARS and they're $20 shipped...may not be as perfectly machined as a BCM or Sionics tube, but hey, it's 7075 so it's not out of the question that PSA can do it too).

I've got a few things from PSA before, and have had to clarify with Josiah just to make sure before lol.... it is what it is.... sigh

again, not trying to overly defend them as PSA deserves some of the criticism levied against them. Was just stating what seems to have been asked 3 or 4 times over the last 2 years (at least from what my google fu has pulled up) and answered the same way by a PSA rep... just was trying to clear an assumption up from the OP.. but yeah, I get your frustration as I am an anal retentive finance guy who likes orderly columns with EXACT descriptions when i buy lol

Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Fair enough, and thanks for your insight. If this is the case, PSA is really doing themselves a disservice by not staying on top of accurate descriptions of their product line. Savvy customers want to know what's what!

Not always, but most times if the description doesn't say it, it probably doesn't have it--whatever that feature may be. I really hate to have to guess, so sometimes I look at price point for comparable goods and weigh out my decisions there. I know that a standard Vltor carbine length 7075 RE fetches around $40ish dollars, and it's a known high-quality item. When I see what looks to be "just as good as" for half the money, I have to be skeptical of what I could be getting. Sales/MFG volume, QC, etc. notwithstanding.
    Last edited by msedward43; 07-09-19 at 12:28.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345