Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10.3 Inch Ballistic Advantage Hanson Barrel

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    The gov profile doesn't enhance the rigidity in a meaningful way. I'd expect it to offer no advantage over the Hanson profile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    The gov profile doesn't enhance the rigidity in a meaningful way. I'd expect it to offer no advantage over the Hanson profile.
    How so? It’s thicker up front which doesn’t help the harmonics at all but I’m talking heat dissipation and accuracy down range when mag dumps start to become a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    How so? It’s thicker up front which doesn’t help the harmonics at all but I’m talking heat dissipation and accuracy down range when mag dumps start to become a necessity.

The forward portion of the barrel is not where the barrel fails under stress. You can google M4 barrels being fired on full auto to failure It was thickened in the infamous gov profile in an effort to stop barrels from "bending when being pried with" and failing bore gauge tests, not due to it's increased performance in that profile. Turned out the barrel gauge failures were from burrs at the gas port, not because troops were bending the barrels. The change had already been put into production by the time they discovered their mistake, and the rest is history.

Feedback Score

10.3 Inch Ballistic Advantage Hanson Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    The forward portion of the barrel is not where the barrel fails under stress. You can google M4 barrels being fired on full auto to failure It was thickened in the infamous gov profile in an effort to stop barrels from "bending when being pried with" and failing bore gauge tests, not due to it's increased performance in that profile. Turned out the barrel gauge failures were from burrs at the gas port, not because troops were bending the barrels. The change had already been put into production by the time they discovered their mistake, and the rest is history.
    So they mass produced something that should have been engineered more effectively from the get go. Crazy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So they mass produced something that should have been engineered more effectively from the get go. Crazy.

The fat muzzle end on gov profile barrels was the result of poor analysis of worn rifles during Vietnam. The belief was that the barrels were getting hot enough to droop, this caused their bore gauge (rod) to encounter resistance not far from the muzzle (when inserted from the muzzle). The real issue was a burr on the eroded gas port. Chunky barrels further from the chamber are not the answer.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

If mag dumps become a necessity, accuracy loss is the least of your worries.

The A2/M4 profile has been replaced by the M4A1 (SOCOM) profile after experience with the very scenario you are concerned about.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-25-21 at 06:12.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    If mag dumps become a necessity, accuracy loss is the least of your worries.

The A2 profile is stupid and the M4 profile just doubled down on the idiocy.

Andy
    It isn't ideal, but I wouldn't call it stupid.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It isn't ideal, but I wouldn't call it stupid.
    Fair enough, I edited my post.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Fair enough, I edited my post.

Andy
    Just for me? You shouldn’t have! In the past, I too may have been guilty of calling the government profile stupid. Stupid or not, we have to admit, it does work.

The 14.5 SOCOM is my favorite AR carbine barrel. It’s only 2 ounces or so heavier than the Colt 16 inch barrel and its profile puts its mass right where it does the most good.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, Andy!
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I guess this is kinda my question. I could go out and dump mag after mag and see what it does at 100 yards (practical 10.3 range) but I was wondering if anyone had done any testing such as this or had any previous data from thoroughly reviewing this barrel profile. I maybe have a few hundred rounds through it and I wasn’t running it that hard. I’m just curious honestly.

I bet one mag fired briskly would let you know what you want to know.

No experience with YOUR exact barrel but generally my heavy barrels string a lot less than the lighter ones. The heavy cryo treated barrels I have do not string at all. A mag dump or two does not do jack to the POI...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast