Thread: Geissele rifles & uppers.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ^ I’d agree with some of that.
    Serious question: What do you think they’re missing to be “battle beasts?”

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post
    I always enjoy reading the passion people have about rifle brands and components.

There are so many great brands or AR weapons available. I think each has its own character and characteristics, and the beans mentioned have different objectives or missions to fulfill.

We are huge fans of the traditional military rifles fro LMT and FN and most Colt.

Geissele Super Duty is not in that class. It is more of a finely tuned rifle than a battle beast. Personally, I love them. Holding A DDC or Luna Black 14.5” rile is like a work of art, and not to improve upon, just add furniture.

One could argue that there are parts and thus cost that are marketing, but there is solid engineering behind the marketing. You may not NEED that engineering, like re-coating a fully coated muzzle device, it it does remove carbon a little bettter than standard DLC. I think Geissele build the best gas block in the business, but that is engineering a product that already worked fine for most, but is is great design work.

The barrels are the question in my mind. I trust Geissele to build quality, but I know how much effort goes into building a good barrel, and their output has zigged and zagged from Phosphate to Nitride coatings to black oxide and even between CHF and button cut. In my opinion, there was not a reason to make in-house barrels, when there are so many good and great barrel companies already making barrels, and making a barrel is much different (skills, materials, machinery, processes) than cutting rails out of aluminum or making triggers. I trust they will work through their productions NS settle on barrel fundamentals.

So, I would not compare Geissele to LMT of Knights, but maybe to Barrett REC7. Darn good quality and a great fit and finish.
    What is it lacking in your opinion be considered among KAC or LMT?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_Anglico View Post
    Can't in that if the price drops, the .GOV gets the price drop too and there goes all of your profit
    That would be why Leupold had an asinine upcharge for illumination on the mk6 3-18

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    They make tier 1 stuff.

Just for context. I worked as a tool maker for 11 years before my current job which is being the chief armorer and armorer instructor for a large department, I also teach armorers of other departments. I started my armorer’s gig with a fleet of old original Bushmaster XM-16 E2 carbines 16 years ago, so I have some historical perspective on the system. Now I maintain a fleet of LE6920’s and Stag model 1’s at work, I’m thrifty with your tax dollars. I build personally owned rifles for many of our officers to suit their needs and have used many different manufacturers for this.

My duty weapon is an LMT MRP with an enhanced BCG, I just can’t seem wear it out and it’s a 1.5 MOA gun. But that said, I’ve had to send back 2 LMT MRP guns and the accuracy on one of them frankly sucked even with handloads (2.5 MOA at best).

My experience with KAC was good but the fit and finish left a lot to be desired, not that it mattered for a trunk rifle.

I shoot G rifles and SBR’s off duty and they’ve all been excellent, they’re the only ones I don’t use a BRT gas tube in as the G’s are gassed just right. The 16” inch one I benched is a 1 MOA gun with my 77gr load while an 11.5 is close to that.

Prior to owning the G’s, the nicest (fit/finish) gun I’ve ever seen was a Noveske infidel but the G’s beat it and plus, I “had” to upgrade the trigger on the Infidel.

I have a lot of gauges and measuring tools from my machinist days and enjoy nerding out with checking the specs on guns. The G’s I’ve measured were great and I do have the TDP which I got after hours at one of my armorer courses.

I enjoy looking at the small details on my G rifles which I’ve seen attended to and possibly upgraded from Mil-spec by G. It’s obvious to me, based on my previous experience, that G employs well educated engineers. G quite apparently, has no problem implementing these sometimes small changes even though the items are harder to manufacture. Just one example, Machining H-13 is a pain in the ass but the material characteristics make it a great choice for a cam pin.

The only knock is that their back order times can be long, as in months.

With all that long winded crap said, I’m just one random guy on the internet with an opinion like everyone else.

Are they premium? The ones I’ve seen are but what does that even mean? Are they a good value? For me they are.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    This thread is great. We've got guys comparing G rifles to KAC, LMT, and others with decades of proven use stacking bodies around the globe, and a guy claiming to have a copy of the TDP he got "after hours" at an armorers course.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If “stacking bodies around the globe” is the ultimate measurement of quality, AKM’s are far superior to KAC and LMT…

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1612 View Post
    If “stacking bodies around the globe” is the ultimate measurement of quality, AKM’s are far superior to KAC and LMT…
    The stacked bodies were carrying AKMs.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    The stacked bodies were carrying AKMs.
    Naturally.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    What is it lacking in your opinion be considered among KAC or LMT?
    I do t think anything is lacking in LMT and KAC. I think Rifles like Geissele, Noveske, Barrett and LaRue have much better “fit and finish.” LMT I think makes some of the rifles ever. They are battle rifles. Some accurate sniper rifles. KAC as well with SR25. Not made fir cosmetics they way the other aforementioned brands are.

Personal opinion: sometimes KAC complicates things with proprietary parts fir no apparent functional reason, but clearly KAC makes a top-shelf rifle.

Just my thought.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    When first going intermediate “battle rifle” for duty, even if proprietary, I chose SCAR16. I found it suppresses much better than the KAC I had.
    Then SCAR16 supply dried up, and realizing it would be hard to replace if something happened to it at work, I decided to replace it with G-SD-10.3.”
    Point being, if going proprietary, I find SCAR fits my needs best. If conventional DI, G guns get my vote.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast