Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so mad I could eat $h!+

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm so mad I could eat $h!+

Long story that I'll try to make short.

My wife and I rent a house, and the air handler in the attic went out two weeks ago. We notified the owner and he hired a local hvac company to install a new one. We went a week without a/c with 100°+ temps outside before it got fixed last Monday. Fast forward to today, and my wife and I come home after spending three days at the lake to find water falling from the ceiling directly onto our new $2,000 reclining leather sofa. The sofa is soaked completely through, the area rug beneath it is completely soaked, and the hardwood flooring is starting to buckle. I went up into the attic to figure out the cause, and find this:

The ass hats who installed the air handler didn't finish plumbing the condensation pan, so the water was just falling on the press board beneath the air handler instead of draining to the outside of the house. After the better part of a week the water eventually soaked through the press board and insulation, and then finally through the sheet rock ceiling.

I ended up going to Lowe's and bought the PVC pieces and glue to finish the job that should have been done. Needless to say, our landlord is going to be getting an earful as soon as he responds to our calls.
    Last edited by TexHill; 07-04-22 at 19:43.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    Well you should not of touched it, hope you got lots of pics before though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    Long story that I'll try to make short.

My wife and I rent a house, and the air handler in the attic went out two weeks ago. We notified the owner and he hired a local hvac company to install a new one. We went a week without a/c with 100°+ temps outside before it got fixed last Monday.
    Not that it helps you right now but...

I rent a house also and while the central AC here is not very old and does work ok - I still keep 2 portable AC units (the type they use in server rooms) tucked away in closets for just in case.

If the central AC here took a dump I would not be suffering while waiting on someone to fix it or having to rearrange MY schedule so they could do the work. They would be working around MY schedule when it was convenient for ME.

Same with respect to back up heaters. My back up heat actually works faster and better than the central unit in this house. Hardly used the central crap at all last winter because of that...

Always have a backup and no harm in having a backup to that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I made extensive videos of the incomplete work and the damage.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    That pan and the disconnected drain pipe should be the secondary. There is probably an issue with your primary drain. (The pvc coming out the side of the unit.) To me is appears you have bigger issues afoot. The primary drain may be clogged or plumbed incorrectly. See the stob sticking up with no cap? Blow in that and it may unclog your primary drain.
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 07-04-22 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A rep from the company came this afternoon and looked at the issue. He admitted that his crew screwed up the installation. Apparently they didn't level the unit correctly as well as not connecting the drain pipe to the pan. Now we wait to here from their insurance company.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If you haven't already done so get a dehumidifier, close it up and suck the water out.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Did you notice the pipe that they heated up and bent that is completely flattened? There is your restriction.

Feedback Score
    This is why we had ductless AC installed in our place. No existing ductwork and no desire to have air handling equipment in the attic, or give up a work bench in the garage to house it.

The added benefit is I have individual temperature control in 6 rooms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    A rep from the company came this afternoon and looked at the issue. He admitted that his crew screwed up the installation. Apparently they didn't level the unit correctly as well as not connecting the drain pipe to the pan. Now we wait to here from their insurance company.
    I'd be pissed too, but unless the company and or landlord total D bags, it will get made right. Two, you should be happy it was not your house it happened to. The owner is the one who will have a major $ bill due to the damage caused, vs you. Sounds like on your end, just the couch that needs to be replaced. Landlord will see a bill a whole lot bigger then that I suspect, but should also be covered under the companies insurance I'd expect, so he should be ok too.

Good luck!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast