Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with A5 buffer choice

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    The default A5 buffer is the A5H2. That's per Vltor, who engineered the system. BCM specs the H0, maybe to guarantee function with a 14.5" middy. Being cheaper doesn't hurt, either.

Sprinco green isn't the best for the A5H2 and lighter. Milspec rifle spring is preferable here.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Without knowing the gas port size of the Odin barrel its a moot point trying to recommend an A5 buffer weight.

BCM's gas port sizes are known and on the smaller size for midlengths. I can tell you right now there are few companies that follow BCM's philosophy of smaller gas port sizes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    The default A5 buffer is the A5H2. That's per Vltor, who engineered the system. BCM specs the H0, maybe to guarantee function with a 14.5" middy. Being cheaper doesn't hurt, either.

Sprinco green isn't the best for the A5H2 and lighter. Milspec rifle spring is preferable here.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    Dangit I already ordered the green spring and from what I’ve read on other threads, and it says on Sprincos description it works with that buffer. Did I waste the money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
    Dangit I already ordered the green spring and from what I’ve read on other threads, and it says on Sprincos description it works with that buffer. Did I waste the money?

No, the stiffer spring would only be a concern if the Odin's gas port was on the smaller end and I highly doubt that. Im going to guess that the Odin barrel's gas ports are f***ing huge and you could probably run an A5H2 or heavier. Again BCMs are on the small end of gas ports so they spec lighter springs and lighter buffers.

Feedback Score

Help with A5 buffer choice

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Without knowing the gas port size of the Odin barrel its a moot point trying to recommend an A5 buffer weight.

BCM's gas port sizes are known and on the smaller size for midlengths. I can tell you right now there are few companies that follow BCM's philosophy of smaller gas port sizes.
    The gas port size is moot since I have a SLR agb though isn’t it? Following the logic here, I’m starting to grasp that less gas requires less spring and less buffer weight. Am I on the right track for tuning my AR? It’s been boringly reliable to date, and It’s high time to $&@% with it a bit

Last edited by Mercs; 12-12-18 at 15:31.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    An adjustable gas block only adjusts one way: down, by constricting the flow from the port. You can’t get more gas than the port allows, just like you can’t put a contraption on your water hose and expect more water than the spigot sends.

Adjustable gas blocks are designed to either fix a port there too big or to reduce gas when suppressed. If you aren’t in that situation, I would use a standard gas block.

I have A5 on several rifles from HO to H3 without an adj gas block.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Search for tungsten buffer weights. Buy four, this will give you the ability to add weight to your buffer.

A5 extended length buffer configurations/weights;

H0, 3.8oz, four steel
    H1, 4.56oz, one tungsten, three steel
    H2, 5.33oz, two tungsten, two steel, (original/standard A5)
    H3, 6.08oz, three tungsten, one steel
    H4, 6.83oz, four tungsten

**Or, if you have a few carbine buffers, order the A4H4 buffer she replace tungsten weights with steel to lower the weight
    Someone can correct me, but I think only the A5H4 comes with a tungsten buffer weight that has a notch for the spring inside the weight itself. It might be cheaper to buy an A5H4 and then find steel weights to bring it down to a A5H1. Not sure the spring can be held in place by the notch in the rubber bumper part by itself. I found this out the hard way and limited any A5H2 buffer to max out at A5H3s, and left the steel weight/spring in place.

See the top buffer, furthest weight on the left:

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
    The gas port size is moot since I have a SLR agb though isn’t it? Following the logic here, I’m starting to grasp that less gas requires less spring and less buffer weight. Am I on the right track for tuning my AR? It’s been boringly reliable to date, and It’s high time to $&@% with it a bit

Maybe not so moot if the barrel port is on the small side. Wide open is limited by the port diameter. I only have one A5 setup bought from Vltor that shipped with the 2 buffer. It shot fine but I turned a couple of steel weights to make it a zero. I cannot tell the difference. BCM plays it safe selling the kit with the zero. If you want to play with what may or may not get you killed it's on you. Can't blame them a bit. Nothing to do with being cheaper IMO. It's about working in all applications.

Feedback Score

Help with A5 buffer choice

The gas port on my barrel is .750 and I run it with the gas block 7 clicks open. So I have plenty of extra gas I’m not using to cycle the gun. I have an H2 buffer and carbine tube currently. I just want to try the A5 setup and see how flat this gun can run with a mil-spec auto bolt carrier. It’s a very light rifle also, if that matters in the calculations

Last edited by Mercs; 12-12-18 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    Someone can correct me, but I think only the A5H4 comes with a tungsten buffer weight that has a notch for the spring inside the weight itself. It might be cheaper to buy an A5H4 and then find steel weights to bring it down to a A5H1. Not sure the spring can be held in place by the notch in the rubber bumper part by itself. I found this out the hard way and limited any A5H2 buffer to max out at A5H3s, and left the steel weight/spring in place.

See the top buffer, furthest weight on the left:
    Drill a hole about 3/16” deep in a tungsten weight.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast