Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pencil barrels

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    The Bravo Company 14.5” ELW fluted barrel was my choice. It’s a great shooter, no break in needed.
    The BCM barrel is 20 ounces, chrome bore
    The Faxon barrel is 17.5 ounces, nitride bore

Both use a .625” gas block, the BCM barrel is about $80 more.
    These really are THE two barrels for a 14.5" LW build IMO. I had been set on BCM for a while but ultimately decided I'll give the Faxon a shot because I plan to do an ultra-light as in CavArms ultra-light and want to shave that extra 2.5 ounces, it would also be my first nitride barrel (which I've steered clear of intentionally up to this point and figure its time to checkout), the extra coin isn't a big for me as I am weak and will eventually end up with an ELW as well.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    The shorter a pencil barrel is, would that help in accuracy?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    These really are THE two barrels for a 14.5" LW build IMO. I had been set on BCM for a while but ultimately decided I'll give the Faxon a shot because I plan to do an ultra-light as in CavArms ultra-light and want to shave that extra 2.5 ounces, it would also be my first nitride barrel (which I've steered clear of intentionally up to this point and figure its time to checkout), the extra coin isn't a big for me as I am weak and will eventually end up with an ELW as well.
    I’ll admit, the nitride steered me away from the Faxon barrel.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by par-archer View Post
    The shorter a pencil barrel is, would that help in accuracy?
    A shorter barrel would be stiffer, correct?
    That may add a degree to accuracy.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    I’ll admit, the nitride steered me away from the Faxon barrel.
    That has steered me away from ANY barrel that is nitrided/QPQ/Melonited. Sorry, I just ain't on board yet and may never be. Go chrome or go home.....YMMV.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Why the apprehension towards nitride barrels? From what I've gathered a properly nitrided barrel is equivalent to a properly chrome lined one for the vast majority of shooters. Both have their positives and negatives. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
    I'm probably wrong here but it feels like the same tired arguments against the use of polymer in firearms.

PS. Sorry for continuing the thread derailment

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Chrome plated > nitride > bare bore

But then, I have many bare barrels, so . . .

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocalsocal View Post
    Why the apprehension towards nitride barrels? From what I've gathered a properly nitrided barrel is equivalent to a properly chrome lined one for the vast majority of shooters. Both have their positives and negatives. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
    I'm probably wrong here but it feels like the same tired arguments against the use of polymer in firearms.

PS. Sorry for continuing the thread derailment

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    For those of us who actually kill barrels, chrome-lined offers superior wear resistance over nitride.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    For those of us who actually kill barrels, chrome-lined offers superior wear resistance over nitride.
    No argument from me. I’m just jealous I can’t afford to continuously mag dump every time I pick up my carbine.
    Also wouldn’t the differences only be seen at the extreme, high wear shooting schedules? And then wouldn’t a heavier profiled barrel be the more appropriate answer. It seems counterintuitive if you’re goal is increasing barrel life. So what’s the point of going skinny if you’re planning to go full auto with every trigger pull?
    Again I agree that chrome lining is superior to nitride in terms of resistance. But only if you don’t have the option for semi automatic fire. Any engineers or technical guys want to elaborate? I’m not a expert by any means just regurgitating some answers from a YouTube Q&A from a former Faxon spokesperson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I also don't use lightweight barrels. I prefer intermediate weight barrels, basically the same weight as gov't profile but with the mass moved back towards the chamber, like the N4, hanson profile ect.

Anyway, if you really want to learn more about the subject I would look for the original Aberdeen Proving Ground documents in testing various treatments and plating on everything from small arms barrels to auto cannons to 120mm smooth bore tank guns. I would put more faith in those documents than manufactures claims that nitride is "just as good as". You dont see them thrown around in the usual chrome vs nitride because they are technical papers that are hard to interpret.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 07-06-18 at 00:13.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast