Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    Well, I learn something new with every critique. Most interestingly, what it is that a professional sees/looks for.

I think as an amateur, I get hung up on the subject matter itself. In other words, I see a pic of a cool gun...you see a shitty pic, LOL.

Enjoy your critiques, thanks for taking the time.

There is 100% nothing wrong with getting hung up on subject matter, it is what makes people interested in the picture! I try to have good humor, and joke a bit with people while giving useful info. Some people are shooting at very high levels. People shooting at high levels may be interested in doing commercial work, or increasing their commercial work load. People who are trying to get cool pics of their firearms with their cellphones in natural lightings, or by throwing the pistol under a lamp in their bedroom are typically at a different level and are able to use a different format/ opinion / input of their shots.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    There is 100% nothing wrong with getting hung up on subject matter, it is what makes people interested in the picture! I try to have good humor, and joke a bit with people while giving useful info. Some people are shooting at very high levels. People shooting at high levels may be interested in doing commercial work, or increasing their commercial work load. People who are trying to get cool pics of their firearms with their cellphones in natural lightings, or by throwing the pistol under a lamp in their bedroom are typically at a different level and are able to use a different format/ opinion / input of their shots.
    Hey, the thread has the word “critique” right in it.

I actually enjoy the brand of humor. Just glad you take the time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

-images are for future cover of The WA Arms Collectors GunNews Magazine-
    Last edited by TriggerFish; 07-11-18 at 16:20.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    First one I just wanted to show new ar308 off and the background was pretty awesome, 2nd one was just a quick snap at the range the other day I took a pic for Instagram and I hated the over satration on it and how I framed it but there was to much background junk getting in the picture. Both on my iPhone X

and

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Also, I need some advice with photos of this with coatings like this. I do gunkote coatings and this is done with a warlock customs color flip pigment in gunkote and I have not figured out how to shoot it effectively. Im sure it will take some lighting tricks but any advice on this one is greatly appreciated. These both were taken with my iphoneX, I have a sony alpha dslr with a bunch of lenses but havent broken it out recently and I really need too so I can snap some great content for my website. The knife I just got lucky on to tell you the truth

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post

-images are for future cover of The WA Arms Collectors GunNews Magazine-
    The first pic is dead center, and while the rule of thirds can certainly be broken, it doesn't serve well here.

The lighting is great in both, though lacking in shadows which would have imparted a greater depth and more impact to the shots. HOWEVER, creating the shadowing while yielding that same clean lighting on a glossy pistol is not going to be a subtle change in moving lighting around.

The second pic is clearly better, and the only I would caution would be to allow enough room around the edges to give an editor the ability to place text where they need. I'm guessing you have the room for bleed over and are just c ropping for the web shots.

WAC should be very happy with those.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vodomagoo View Post
    First one I just wanted to show new ar308 off and the background was pretty awesome, 2nd one was just a quick snap at the range the other day I took a pic for Instagram and I hated the over satration on it and how I framed it but there was to much background junk getting in the picture. Both on my iPhone X

and

The second shot has good layout and character. If you find you have color and / or saturation issues, but still like the pic you took, change it over to black and white with one of your phone filters. While I am NOT a fan of doing that for professional images, it is a great way for people to be creative.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post

The extra rounds do nothing for the overall image laying loose. I think they would have been better served in the mag, and with the mag pointed with the same angle, but towards the viewer.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vodomagoo View Post
    Also, I need some advice with photos of this with coatings like this. I do gunkote coatings and this is done with a warlock customs color flip pigment in gunkote and I have not figured out how to shoot it effectively. Im sure it will take some lighting tricks but any advice on this one is greatly appreciated. These both were taken with my iphoneX, I have a sony alpha dslr with a bunch of lenses but havent broken it out recently and I really need too so I can snap some great content for my website. The knife I just got lucky on to tell you the truth

It is hard to make a call on this one without seeing the finish in person. Overall, I would say you will need a neutral background, and then move the primary lighting around and change angles while your camera stays locked in place on a tripod. This will allow the color shift to be observed as realistically as possible by viewers.
    Stick

Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast