Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Realistic list of spare parts to keep on hand

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnguitars View Post
    Good thread. I'm sub'd.
    I need to put together a box or bag that has many of the parts recommended.
    Pro-tip:https://www.amazon.com/Storage-Stack...05189252&psc=1 and print paper labels for each part. It doesn't take up much space on a work-bench.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Throw in a cam pin and a firing pin retaining pin too.

Very compact and pretty complete.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    My thoughts are a spare bolt and firing covers a lot of bases, not really concerned about bolt failure but rather a broken extractor, worn out ejector, gas or FP, can all be taken care of with a bolt change in the field, no need to tear the bolt apart to install a rebuild kit. It's hard to have a extra rifle in your pocket but a spare bolt is easy peasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnguitars View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. Good post. It may not cover everything, but it covers a lot in a pinch, and the things I would consider to be most susceptible to breaks. An entire BCG with bolt would be where I would start.
    Last edited by Clint; 10-03-18 at 17:10.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    True, and not to be a dick.... but why would this be necessary? Even faster is a second rifle.

If something goes wrong on a gun, I want to drill down to the issue right away.
    So your argument that the BCG is an expensive part to keep on hand doesn't negate your argument that a spare rifle with optic and light is a more appropriate spare?

I've done both. Spare BCG is a lot faster since you don't have to sight in while everyone else is eating lunch.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Since people are talking about fixing guns at the range, I’ll throw this out: yesterday I had a stuck live round in the chamber, from a crumpled/folded case neck. I was not prepared with a Leatherman/Gerber type tool, nor did I bring a cleaning rod. Fortunately someone squared me away, so I was able to keep shooting. I’ll be putting a cleaning rod in my rifle case.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    Given a M4gery, what spare parts, given normal wear and tear, should I keep on hand? I am thinking about operator level repairs/part replacement and parts that are likely to wear out and fail under normal (range) usage. So no armorer's work like barrel replacement or any thing that would require special tools. By way of example something like spare gas rings. I see a lot of lists but they seem to list parts that the average use would never replace and/or unlikely to break. So what I am asking is what is a realistic list.
    That's easy.

Enough spare parts to build another AR.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post
    So your argument that the BCG is an expensive part to keep on hand doesn't negate your argument that a spare rifle with optic and light is a more appropriate spare?

I've done both. Spare BCG is a lot faster since you don't have to sight in while everyone else is eating lunch.
    No. What I'm saying is (for example) if you have 5 ARs, and keep 3 spare BCGs... you'll never need all the BCGs. One, mayyyyybe, on an outside chance. But if that happended, you could use it and repair the failed part, or order another one. I just think multiple BCGs is overkill. People can keep what they want... It's just not logical to me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No. What I'm saying is (for example) if you have 5 ARs, and keep 3 spare BCGs... you'll never need all the BCGs. One, mayyyyybe, on an outside chance. But if that happended, you could use it and repair the failed part, or order another one. I just think multiple BCGs is overkill. People can keep what they want... It's just not logical to me.
    Better to have a few ARs and a single spare BCG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At least one box like this.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

Agreed except the accu-wedged and ambi-safeties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

Running low on ejector springs... and darn it you've mixed your forward assists and hammers into your firing pin compartment.

Otherwise that is a very complete set of spares.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast