Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PDW Caliber Choice.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This was relevant from Shot Show:
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...dx-sbr-pistol/

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The new 350 legend also looks interesting from a PDW perspective. Essentially a straight-walled 223 case with a .357 bullet. Likely it will do well in shorter barrels, and they offer both super and a 250-ish grain subsonic. It has the same advantage of blackout using the same bolt and magazines as 223, so it could be a viable sbr caliber. Time will tell, and I'm not rushing out to adopt it, but I'll keep an interested eye out.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    The new 350 legend also looks interesting from a PDW perspective. Essentially a straight-walled 223 case with a .357 bullet. Likely it will do well in shorter barrels, and they offer both super and a 250-ish grain subsonic. It has the same advantage of blackout using the same bolt and magazines as 223, so it could be a viable sbr caliber. Time will tell, and I'm not rushing out to adopt it, but I'll keep an interested eye out.

That one has me excited as well. But unfortunately it does require special mags. At launch they are only did 5 and 10 round versions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    That one has me excited as well. But unfortunately it does require special mags. At launch they are only did 5 and 10 round versions.

I guess that's what happens when you assume-I figured with the same parent case and bolt it would be the same. Now that I think about it the problem with blackout and subs having issues with the ribs of the mag would be exacerbated with a straight-walled case like this. I guess not the ideal situation as we all have plenty of standard mags, but getting some proprietary mags for this wouldn't be a deal-breaker for most people if it really worked well in a short barrel. If I did get one my Omega 9k just might work as well..

Feedback Score
    I went with 9mm. Mainly because:
    -9mm out of a longer barrel like 10.5" you get more bang for your buck
    -It will work with my Glock, even the G26 mags
    -more mags can be carried easily
    -for something with a short barrel I'm not taking really long shots and 9mm has done just fine
    -I'm too cheap and not adventuresome enough to invest in yet another caliber
    -I don't want to shoot .223 out of a really short barrel and lose power when I can shoot 9mm and get better performance (for 9mm).
    -9mm practice is so much cheaper than .223/5.56mm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It will be more practical and cheaper to run. Definitely, and good rounds like HST, Ranger T-Series, etc are very effective.

That said, you would be looking at around 800-900 ft-lbs of energy from a 556 out of a 10.5 whereas 9mm would be 400-600.

I know, energy doesn't mean sh.. but it's just an objective comparison.

.300blk I think would be around 1500 if I recall correctly.

I think 9mm makes more sense when you get down to around 8".

Regardless, I think you will be happy with your choice.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    6x35 would be the only correct answer if it was actually available and with the proper sized weapons.

I’m surprised to see very little mention of 6.8, and none of the 6.5 (not saying they are the best, just found it interesting).

I’m waiting patiently to see if the .350 Legend matures (or dies on the vine), because it might be well suited for this application. Otherwise, 9mm makes the most sense if we are talking 4-6in barrels, especially suppressed, because Glock mags, and because ammo is specifically designed for 3.5-5” barrels. So pretty close. And there are 147 gr loads that are both very good, and subsonic, such as HST, and Ranger.

300 Blk makes the most sense in 7-8.5” barrels, particularly if you don’t own any 5.56 weapons. Once you get over 10”, Blk doesn’t make any sense to me.

A CMMG Guard Banshee 5.7 might be cool, and would work with already purchased 5.56 suppressors if desired.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    AKSU or Sig 553R in 7.62x39. Both are MP5-sized, reliable platforms that are basically ’heavy subguns’. AKSU underfolder may not be the most ergonomic PDW, but it is 100% reliable and effective, and you can fit it with few mags to any discreet bag.

Blackout with subsonic ammo is nice if you must have a truly silent gun, but with the AR receiver extension and suppressor the platform is far from compact, unless you transport it with the components separated. Subsonic ballistics are not very impressive, and neither is the effective range, but it can be ’Hollywood quiet’.

Feedback Score
    1. With the several guns I own, I have been asked what exactly am I afraid of? I answered "Not a goddamn thing!"
    2. A gunfight is a really bad bet. If you lose--you lose everything. If you win--you just keep what you have.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    300 blk. I built a 7.5" but if I were to do it again today I would just get a Q honey badger pistol. I won't go shorter than 10.3 in 556 and prefer 11.5 or 12.5.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast