Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What should I do with this thing?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Exactly how precise do you want to get? I only ask because the 18" FN barrel (if it's the 18" CHF that I think it is) isn't the most accurate barrel out there. Is it accurate enough to make combat effective hits out to 300 - 400 meters? Yes it is, but will it produce sub MOA groups at those distances? I'm not entirely sure it will, as precision shooting wasn't what it was made for.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah I'm not really trying to build a precision AR, and I don't think the suburban and wooded environment around here really calls for it, I mostly just wanted something with a bit more range and accuracy potential than I've got now. The big question was whether it was better to modify what I already have or start over with a new upper.
    Since I've already got the FN barrel it makes the most sense to use that, and with the distances the gun is most likely to be used at, it will probably be sufficient.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Yeah I'm not really trying to build a precision AR, and I don't think the suburban and wooded environment around here really calls for it, I mostly just wanted something with a bit more range and accuracy potential than I've got now. The big question was whether it was better to modify what I already have or start over with a new upper.
    Since I've already got the FN barrel it makes the most sense to use that, and with the distances the gun is most likely to be used at, it will probably be sufficient.
    I've used the 16" CHF FN barrel on multiple builds, and had great success with them. If you chose your parts wisely you can build a functioning upper for a very small additional investment, probably $300 or less.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So I'm looking at low profile gas blocks and I notice that most of them, even BCM's, seem to be the set screw type. I had thought that set screw gas blocks were kinda iffy, but are they pretty much the standard for low profile ones?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get a large ballpeen hammer, large diameter punch(or a punch divoted for the taper pins), and a block of wood on a solid surface (concrete floor) and see if they will come out before making your decision on a rail. Should pop out unless the front sight was phosphated on the barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    So I'm looking at low profile gas blocks and I notice that most of them, even BCM's, seem to be the set screw type. I had thought that set screw gas blocks were kinda iffy, but are they pretty much the standard for low profile ones?
    Pretty much. Most folks dimple the barrel and they are fine. The Giessele blocks are set up for both. These are the ones I prefer: https://algdefense.com/carbon-steel-gas-block.html ($39.99) the stainless steel is twenty bucks more: https://geissele.com/super-gas-block.html

The instruction on the links should walk you through dimpling any gas block (drill sizes may vary).
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Or you could hacksaw/dremmel and file/sand the existing gas block in place, and spray a little high-temp paint on it... then you have a pinned gasblock.

Feedback Score
    A properly shaved and dressed FSB is the most sturdy low-profile gas block you can have. It's already on there and is already pinned.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Or you could hacksaw/dremmel and file/sand the existing gas block in place, and spray a little high-temp paint on it... then you have a pinned gasblock.
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    A properly shaved and dressed FSB is the most sturdy low-profile gas block you can have. It's already on there and is already pinned.
    If you want a LPGB on your existing barrel, this is the correct course of action.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Have you tried other ammo with it? Other match offerings may get you better results.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast