Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Immigration agents arrest 114 in sting at Ohio landscaper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I would like to see him push the issue further during his second term.
    As you know, I am not particularly a fan of President Trump. That being said, he is the oldest President-Elect in our history. The Presidency is an incredibly wearing job. I'm not so sure, even if I was a major fan, I would be in favor of voting an almost 75 year-old man into office.

President Eisenhower was younger after his second term was completed than President Trump was when he was elected.

The closest to President Trump in age was President Reagan.

The example of President Reagan may not be a good one, President Reagan had lead a very active life, and had a regular work out routine: https://parade.com/wp-content/upload...83_page1-0.jpg

On the other hand, President Trump's view of exercise - humans are born with a "finite amount of energy" and exercise depletes that energy supply. https://www.self.com/story/donald-tr...se-on-exercise

The rigors of the office, combined with age, would make me hesitant to endorse anyone in their mid-70's.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    As you know, I am not particularly a fan of President Trump. That being said, he is the oldest President-Elect in our history. The Presidency is an incredibly wearing job. I'm not so sure, even if I was a major fan, I would be in favor of voting an almost 75 year-old man into office.

President Eisenhower was younger after his second term was completed than President Trump was when he was elected.

The closest to President Trump in age was President Reagan.

The example of President Reagan may not be a good one, President Reagan had lead a very active life, and had a regular work out routine: https://parade.com/wp-content/upload...83_page1-0.jpg

On the other hand, President Trump's view of exercise - humans are born with a "finite amount of energy" and exercise depletes that energy supply. https://www.self.com/story/donald-tr...se-on-exercise

The rigors of the office, combined with age, would make me hesitant to endorse anyone in their mid-70's.

Yah well, if he gets sick in office we get Pence. So not sure what you are implying. Hell we got dinosaurs on the Supreme Court and they're still kicking.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If the construction companies didn't hire immigrants the school wouldn't get built! There is no one else to hire. Like I said earlier... American citizens won't work labor jobs because our government pays them more to stay home and have babies! Why would they work for 15 bucks an hour when Uncle Sam pays them 22 an hour to stay home??

I was recently on unemployment and got a whopping $150 a week from the government. And that was like pulling teeth. How the hell do you get the government to pay $22 an hour to stay home? And is that pay every hour that you're home? Because that's a lot of overtime after a day or two.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post

I was recently on unemployment and got a whopping $150 a week from the government. And that was like pulling teeth. How the hell do you get the government to pay $22 an hour to stay home? And is that pay every hour that you're home? Because that's a lot of overtime after a day or two.
    You have to be a woman with 4 illegitimate kids and attend a church that has monthly meetings ran by liberal social workers. They coach you on how to get the most from the government. It has nothing to do with unemployment. The 22 an hour number came from dividing the monthly entitlement total by 160 hours a month. Do you know what a baby momma is??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    You have to be a woman with 4 illegitimate kids and attend a church that has monthly meetings ran by liberal social workers. They coach you on how to get the most from the government. It has nothing to do with unemployment. The 22 an hour number came from dividing the monthly entitlement total by 160 hours a month. Do you know what a baby momma is??
    Well that and a few other minor details.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Well that and a few other minor details.
    I can assure you that being 65 years old, white, no kids, and have a couple of million in assets gets you absolutely nothing. Unfortunately when you say millions the masses don't give a shit how or how long or what you invested to get it. They just tag you as one of the elites. They will try their best to punish you for working hard and saving. The poor bastards didn't have a chance because they were born the wrong color or race. That's the line liberals tow. They only care about a group of voters who think their livelihood is dependent on Dem lawmakers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    not sure what you are implying.
    All I'm saying is that I'm not sure I'd look forward to voting for someone President Trump's age for a second term.

If I was a Dem I'd damn sure not be floating Joe Biden who, is about 3.25 years older than President Trump. Biden would be nearly 80 in 2021.

Yah well, if he gets sick in office we get Pence.
    Agreed, he would be a better fill in than some Vice-Presidents we have had.

Hell we got dinosaurs on the Supreme Court and they're still kicking.
    And I believe that you are probably one who has remarked about cognitive powers, time to go, etc.

Kind of my point regarding a second term for a man of President Trump's age.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    The source for the claim, said Stenhouse, is a report from the libertarian Cato Institute called "The Work Versus Welfare Trade-Off: 2013." It examined the value of various welfare programs by state.

The Rhode Island total comes from starting with the $6,648 a year in cash welfare that a single parent with two children could receive, which is the only unrestricted cash that recipients would see. (It's also 34 percent less than what recipients got in 1995, adjusted for inflation, according to Cato.)

Then you add in:
    $6,249 per year in food stamps (now called the SNAP program)
    $12,702 in housing subsidies
    $11,302 as the cost of buying health care coverage comparable to Medicaid
    $275 in heating assistance
    $300 a year under the Emergency Food Assistance program (TEFAP)
    $1,156 in food under the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program for pregnant women, new mothers and children up to age 5.
    6.648 welfare checks

The total -- $38,632 -- is equivalent to what a single parent with two children would get to keep after taxes if the parent earned $43,330 a year, or $20.83 an hour for a 40-hour work week, Cato said.

"Many welfare recipients, even those receiving the highest level of benefits, are doing everything they can to find employment and leave the welfare system," the Cato report concludes. "Still, it is undeniable that for many recipients -- especially long-term dependents -- welfare pays more than the type of entry-level job that a typical welfare recipient can expect to find. As long as this is true, many recipients are likely to choose welfare over work."

But there's a problem: There's nothing typical about this amount because very few poor people are eligible for -- or take advantage of -- all these programs.

The Cato report acknowledges that most people won't be getting close to the $38,632. For example, welfare recipients aren't eligible for WIC benefits unless they have children under age 5. Another example: Many poor people can't get a housing subsidy -- only 1 in 4 Rhode Islanders receiving cash welfare are also receiving housing assistance.

Anticipating such criticism, Cato did another calculation, looking only at the welfare, food stamp and Medicaid programs that, they said, nearly all poor people would be eligible for. Cato found that the value of just those benefits was equivalent to being paid $17,347 a year, or $8.34 an hour.

That's a far cry from $20.83 an hour.

On the other hand, $8.34 an hour is still only 66 cents below the current Rhode Island minimum wage, with no need to punch a time clock, find child care, or arrange for transportation to and from a job.

http://www.politifact.com/rhode-isla...lent-2083-hou/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The source for the claim, said Stenhouse, is a report from the libertarian Cato Institute called "The Work Versus Welfare Trade-Off: 2013." It examined the value of various welfare programs by state.

The Rhode Island total comes from starting with the $6,648 a year in cash welfare that a single parent with two children could receive, which is the only unrestricted cash that recipients would see. (It's also 34 percent less than what recipients got in 1995, adjusted for inflation, according to Cato.)

Then you add in:
    $6,249 per year in food stamps (now called the SNAP program)
    $12,702 in housing subsidies
    $11,302 as the cost of buying health care coverage comparable to Medicaid
    $275 in heating assistance
    $300 a year under the Emergency Food Assistance program (TEFAP)
    $1,156 in food under the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program for pregnant women, new mothers and children up to age 5.
    6.648 welfare checks

The total -- $38,632 -- is equivalent to what a single parent with two children would get to keep after taxes if the parent earned $43,330 a year, or $20.83 an hour for a 40-hour work week, Cato said.

"Many welfare recipients, even those receiving the highest level of benefits, are doing everything they can to find employment and leave the welfare system," the Cato report concludes. "Still, it is undeniable that for many recipients -- especially long-term dependents -- welfare pays more than the type of entry-level job that a typical welfare recipient can expect to find. As long as this is true, many recipients are likely to choose welfare over work."

But there's a problem: There's nothing typical about this amount because very few poor people are eligible for -- or take advantage of -- all these programs.

The Cato report acknowledges that most people won't be getting close to the $38,632. For example, welfare recipients aren't eligible for WIC benefits unless they have children under age 5. Another example: Many poor people can't get a housing subsidy -- only 1 in 4 Rhode Islanders receiving cash welfare are also receiving housing assistance.

Anticipating such criticism, Cato did another calculation, looking only at the welfare, food stamp and Medicaid programs that, they said, nearly all poor people would be eligible for. Cato found that the value of just those benefits was equivalent to being paid $17,347 a year, or $8.34 an hour.

That's a far cry from $20.83 an hour.

On the other hand, $8.34 an hour is still only 66 cents below the current Rhode Island minimum wage, with no need to punch a time clock, find child care, or arrange for transportation to and from a job.

http://www.politifact.com/rhode-isla...lent-2083-hou/
    The math is much simpler fir many folks at that economic level. "Can I survive on welfare and other freebies, without working? Yes? Then no way am I going to work my ass off for some bossy bastard ". Doesn't matter if it is above or below some baseline pay rate. If they can get by and not have to work, that is good enough. I doubt many actual do the math.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And then their is the "Keith Richards Syndrome" where nothing on Earth can kill you no mater how many Big Mac's or Heroin you indulge in.
    I dunno, I'm guessing he's going to do another term. We're at 500 days and so far the MSM has thrown everything but the Kitchen Sink at him and he's relatively unflappable.
    Honestly as bad as this guy pisses off the left, I would donate a kidney to him just to insure Jake Tappers blood pressure stays elevated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast