Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the 7N6 round in 5.44x.39 cause more damage than a .308??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post

And yes you do need an SVD

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    My SR-25 does my talking

Feedback Score
    What "more maintenance" exactly? I own both and both are maintained the same way. Shoot it? Eventually clean it! Done!

You can afford a $1000 +/- Springfield Scout bit not the barrier blind ammo? Common. If you can afford to buy a firearm you can afford to buy ammo for the firearm/s you already have. Also, if you can't afford that specific 556 what are you going to do with 308? Cheapest 308 range ammo is in the 50 cent price range. Quality 308 is up there

I hear ya. I got Federal XMSBCT3 in 5.56, about 500 rounds.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What "more maintenance" exactly? I own both and both are maintained the same way. Shoot it? Eventually clean it! Done!

You can afford a $1000 +/- Springfield Scout bit not the barrier blind ammo? Common. If you can afford to buy a firearm you can afford to buy ammo for the firearm/s you already have. Also, if you can't afford that specific 556 what are you going to do with 308? Cheapest 308 range ammo is in the 50 cent price range. Quality 308 is up there

You are arguing with a guy who has never shot his AR and keeps it chained to a radiator. This is probably another of his troll posts....
    Last edited by flenna; 02-05-18 at 19:43.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    You are arguing with a guy who has never shot his AR and keeps it chained to a radiator. This is probably another of his troll posts....
    I have my AR15 right by my bedside unlocked, loaded and on safety. A shooting took place outside very nearby yesterday and the police came in to make sure no bullets went through a window. Why are you so cocky? I lived in the suburbs 41 years with virtually no crime. Where I live thats where guns are needed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So have you shot the 6920 yet? As of your last thread you were racking up posts, but no rounds down range. So, have you shot it yet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thebarracuda View Post
    So have you shot the 6920 yet? As of your last thread you were racking up posts, but no rounds down range. So, have you shot it yet?
    . I'm racking up the posts because I'm a gun but. I live in the center of a liberal controlled city. I have no vehicle. Most people where I live are felons. I am a chronic pain sufferer so its hard for me to sustain employment. I can't wait to get to the range. I'm only 48 but I feel 78 at times. I got 12 mags. I just need rounds for target shooting. I got premium rounds for self defense.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    I know people may think its a joke but the 7N6 tumbles like mad and causes more tissue damage than the 7.62x.38. I am sitting on a spam can of 1,080 rounds. Im Looking to buy another 1,080 rounds. My theory is that the.308 would create a big hole but would not yaw and tumble like the 5.45 round. I have a Colt LE6920 and like it but the AK74 has a reputation as being a wicked round. Maybe its over hyped??

Sorry 5.45 round not 5.44!
    No, 7n6 effectiveness is over exaggerated. Its the same logic people use when trying to justify 5.7 terminal ballistics. You are better off punching a big hole over trying to make a bullet travel sideways through flesh. That "poison bullet" BS is pretty much Soviet propaganda, some SF guys who came back from Afghanistan who worked with former Muj who fought against the Soviets asked about it. The 'poison' in poison bullet roughly translates in Pashto to the poison in a wasp or bee sting. So 7n6 hit more like a bee sting rather than your wicked mad tumbling magic bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    5.45 is a ripoff of 5.56

Its only appeal before the ATF sperged put was that it was cheap.

Otherwise it is the Soviets using a pencil while we use a space pen.

I'm sure someone will be along to cite how we need 5.45, Dragunovs, and RPGs to win wars.
    Actually ballistically I think 5.45 is more like 5.56 2.0. Ive shot thousands and thousands of rounds 5.45 7n6 and Ive been impressed on how flat is shoots. The BC on that little 53gr bullet is far higher than 55gr or 62gr ball ammo and its doing it at lower velocity and lower pressure(my suspensions were confirmed via doppler radar regression : https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...unition-Review. The problem with 5.45 is that it got left in the stone age of ammo development. You won't see super match grade bullets or barrier blind SPs. Ive since completely divested myself of the caliber since the ATF pretty much killed it stateside which is a shame since the caliber had so much potential.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 02-05-18 at 23:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    I have my AR15 right by my bedside unlocked, loaded and on safety. A shooting took place outside very nearby yesterday and the police came in to make sure no bullets went through a window. Why are you so cocky? I lived in the suburbs 41 years with virtually no crime. Where I live thats where guns are needed.
    Where they checking to see if they came in through your windows or out through them?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post

Actually ballistically I think 5.45 is more like 5.56 2.0. Ive shot thousands and thousands of rounds 5.45 7n6 and Ive been impressed on how flat is shoots. The BC on that little 53gr bullet is far higher than 55gr or 62gr ball ammo and its doing it at lower velocity and lower pressure(my suspensions were confirmed via doppler radar regression : https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...unition-Review. The problem with 5.45 is that it got left in the stone age of ammo development. You won't see super match grade bullets or barrier blind SPs. Ive since completely divested myself of the caliber since the ATF pretty much killed it stateside which is a shame since the caliber had so much potential.
    Fair enough but I mean it literally is a workaround ripoff of the 5.56 they copied from Vietnam.

I didn't dislike it, really. I had a Saiga 5.45 and it got respectable groups but the ATF had to ATF. I'd sooner use a 5.56 simply because it is more available and never roped the AR 5.45 goat but as you say the choices were limited. It was actually a fun caliber to shoot on top of being cheap. The cannelure of the round was pretty interesting.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss plinking with it but aside from Wolf the only option is Hornady. It was far more respectable to 300 yds than the 7.62 AK round.

The only thing keeping me from messing with AKs anymore is the dearth of 5.45. The 5.56 AKs just have a few fleas and for the effort; I'd sooner hit the AR easy button.

I had a bunch of Silver Bear 5.45 OT which I must say was the better round. I sorta miss it, even with irons.

I agree the poison bullet deal is way overhyped though.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Op, as you’ve already been told about a million times, tumbling as a wounding mechanism is pure BS compared to modern soft points and all copper hollowpoints. In gelatin, bullets that require yaw to work (7n6) leave longer necks (suboptimal). Then the bullet exits the side of the block, demonstrating that it does not track straight (suboptimal).

Ever wonder why nobody offers a 5.56 bullet duplicating 7n6 ballistically? Its not like it uses some magic technology that isn’t reproducible. 7n6 has a similar sectional density as 55gr .224 projectiles. It has a similar ballistic coefficient and muzzle velocity as M855. In other words, a bullet designer can easily toss an air pocket in the front of a 55 grain .224 bullet and get the same BC, but more velocity, or get equal velocity and greater BC in a heavier bullet. But do we have LAPD SWAT, FBI HRT, or military SOF shooters begging for their R&D guys to come up with a 7n6 analogue? No, because they have much better ammo, most of which is available to civilian shooters.

If someone is forced to use FMJ, 7n6 works, but isn’t all that special. Its better than 7.62x39 ball in my opinion, and thats about as much as I’ll give you.

I really like 5.45 AKs, but there is nothing they do that an M4 loaded with good bullets can’t do equally well or better. AK74’s can have less recoil, thats about it. Most people that prattle on about 7n6 are AK fanboys with no formal training on the subject of gunshot wounds or ballistics. I would bet most of them have never even seen live tissue gsw’s in person, and if they have it was probably deer and pigs shot with a completely different caliber.

Compared to .308? You’ve got to be effing kidding us. Quit making a new thread every week asserting that 7n6 is special somehow, or bring some real evidence that it is. I don’t think you’ll find any. Put it to rest until then, please.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast