Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just bought a LMT MWS 6.5 CM barrel

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I took out the 6.5 today and tried shooting it without a can, it ran like a top with Am gunner 140 BTHP. I then put the can on and shot 20 rounds of Match Hornady 143 ELD X bullets and they ran perfect. I was very encouraged because I have a 500 of such bullets. Maybe the tip makes the difference?? I hope so.

PB
    Watch the ELD-X and ELD-M for dropped primers when suppressed (area of 1 in 50-100).
    I've had really good result with them in the accuracy department, but the primer seating seems to be biased toward less violent ejection.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Watch the ELD-X and ELD-M for dropped primers when suppressed (area of 1 in 50-100).
    I've had really good result with them in the accuracy department, but the primer seating seems to be biased toward less violent ejection.
    I will keep and eye out but we have not had any primers popped in the LMT firecracker. I really dont want that PITA popping up in 1-100. Thanks for heads up.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I will keep and eye out but we have not had any primers popped in the LMT firecracker. I really dont want that PITA popping up in 1-100. Thanks for heads up.
    It's an ammo factor, not a gun factor.
    Not popped primers, but dropped or lost primers.
    Not an issue of high pressure, just an issue of them getting knocked out from the force of the case hitting the ejection port/brass deflector and light staking/low retention force on the primer.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Not an issue of high pressure, just an issue of them getting knocked out from the force of the case hitting the ejection port/brass deflector and light staking/low retention force on the primer.
    Very interesting. I have a friend that puts a small piece of velcro on his guns, I might do the same. If this is the case, would the primers ever find their way back into the action? Or does it help the reloading process...

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score

That's interesting. The last Hornady match ammo I had appeared to have the primers crimped and I had to decrimp the brass before reloading. I wonder if they changed due to this issue.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Good friend had a near case separation with Hornady brass after 3 firings on his 6.5 bolt gun
    Hornady is the only brass I've seen in 5.56 with visible ringing after a few firings, you could feel it internally with a tool. I stopped using it for reloads.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT/556 View Post
    Hornady is the only brass I've seen in 5.56 with visible ringing after a few firings, you could feel it internally with a tool. I stopped using it for reloads.
    Hornady brass is very Winchester-esque in 308. I'm assuming it's the same in 6.5 with the thin necks. If we get a few loads out of it, that'll be fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Hornady seems to be hit and miss. I have 6 loads on some 7mm RM with no issues. Second batch had a split neck second firing. None of the loads were toasty either.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Pappabear, I'm hoping I'll be jumping on the 6.5 CM train this year and want to run my MWS as a dedicated precision rig. I'm tracking you're able to consistently hold sub-MOA groups with some hovering in the .5 MOA range with the stainless steel barrel. Did you observe that type of accuracy out of the box, or did you go through a break-in ritual before seeing your groups tighten up? I've contemplated going the custom route, but honestly I don't want to put that much time, effort and energy sourcing components, a capable gunsmith and paying for all the work if I can get consistent sub-MOA accuracy out of the factory barrel. I'll be more than content with consistent groups in the .5 to .75 MOA accuracy range. Also, are you reloading exclusively or are you also running off-the-shelf match ammo? Have you found a preference?
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    Pappabear, I'm hoping I'll be jumping on the 6.5 CM train this year and want to run my MWS as a dedicated precision rig. I'm tracking you're able to consistently hold sub-MOA groups with some hovering in the .5 MOA range with the stainless steel barrel. Did you observe that type of accuracy out of the box, or did you go through a break-in ritual before seeing your groups tighten up? I've contemplated going the custom route, but honestly I don't want to put that much time, effort and energy sourcing components, a capable gunsmith and paying for all the work if I can get consistent sub-MOA accuracy out of the factory barrel. I'll be more than content with consistent groups in the .5 to .75 MOA accuracy range. Also, are you reloading exclusively or are you also running off-the-shelf match ammo? Have you found a preference?
    We have done no reloading for the 6.5 and even decided that cheap factory ammo was so good that we are only going to reload for my Bergara 6.5. Yes sub Moa right out of the gate with my MWS barrel. I have shot S&B cheapola ammo, American Gunner 140 BTHP and very good Hornady 140 ELD's. All shot MOA with some sub Moa.

We focused on chrono and my 6.5 Bergara today. The S&B shot .75 MOA, American Gunner shot around .5 and Hornady shot .5 MOA. My MWS is not that much different. I left the chrono data with Mark, even though its a Bolt you can enjoy the data. Ill ask Mark to post velocities.

Just so you know the S&B is $11.00 a box the Am gunner is $150 for 200 rounds and the ELD are around $125 per round.
    The S&B BC is horrible, we call it our 30-30 load but it has the highest velocities and can still make hits to 1300 yards from the MWS
    Am Gun is a BTHP a bit slower but better BC
    The ELD is the ELD

Bottom line, your MWS should meet your accuracy concern and also you can buy factory ammo and have a blast, on the cheap. No break in period or if do, it will get better. I pumped heavy round count with all this cheap ammo and a 20 round mag.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-20-19 at 16:36.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast