Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horror: Hereditary

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Horror: Hereditary

I went and saw The Nun this afternoon, all alone in the theater. It was scary, but turned into a monster movie which ruins it for me.

Tonight, my wife suggested we watch a horror movie together, which is extremely rare for us. We found "Hereditary" on pay per view, and it came highly rated. The description of the movie was:

When the matriarch of the Graham family passes away, her daughter and grandchildren begin to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry, trying to outrun the sinister fate they have inherited.

That was so vague, we really knew nothing about what to expect. We knew it was made by the same crew as The VVitch, which I thought was scary and well done.

When we finished it, we were speechless. I've never seen a horror movie like that before, especially one that shook me and thoroughly entertained me. It was far more psychologically scary than any other I've seen, which is exactly what I've been wanting. We're wide awake now, a little to creeped out to sleep, watching netflix for a "chill out" feeling.

Watch it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I tried to watch it but couldn't get into it. Based on your review, maybe I should give it another go.

Feedback Score
    In the Fall of 1974, went to see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre six times with different friends. It was unique, well done, and implies gore, but it's not gory. A first where sequels never lived up to the original. And yes it was rated R, so I had to go with older friends (I was 14 at the time). The original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis was also excellent as well.

Personally, I have always been a fan of the Hammer-Seven Arts films from England in the 1960's with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    It was far more psychologically scary than any other I've seen, which is exactly what I've been wanting.
    That is exactly what I look for in a good scary movie, most suck ass because they are all about the blood, gore and shit jumping out at you. A good psychologically scary horror flick is so much better than all that BS. I skip most of this genre unless I get a recommend like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    In the Fall of 1974, went to see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre six times with different friends. It was unique, well done, and implies gore, but it's not gory. A first where sequels never lived up to the original. And yes it was rated R, so I had to go with older friends (I was 14 at the time). The original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis was also excellent as well.

Personally, I have always been a fan of the Hammer-Seven Arts films from England in the 1960's with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.
    I parallel with everything you said here.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This is my all time favorite scary movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055018/?ref_=ttls_li_tt
    It is based on the Henry James story "The Turn of the Screw".
    Last edited by austinN4; 09-11-18 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    My daughter loves scary movies. This one was suggested to us as the scariest. Waiting for a night to watch it with her.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    It's pretty rare to get a well executed horror movie. The comparisons to The Exorcist really made me question its legitimacy because usually that type of talk is just marketing. I ended up seeing it twice in the theater and I really liked it. It has a lot of the typical horror movie devices, but what I can say for sure is that the pacing and tempo is really nailed down. It is not so much that "gotcha" type of scary, but more psychological as others have said.

I found myself tensing up during the second screening even though I knew what was going to happen on screen. That's rare for me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sorry, I don’t do horror or slasher movies. The last one I saw was Event Horizon and it still scares me just thinking about it.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's that time of year (Halloween just around the corner) . . .

We just watched the original The Amityville Horror (1979) and Burnt Offerings (1976). For some reason I prefer films in this genre from the 70's but Hereditary sounds right up our ally.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 09-11-18 at 15:51. Reason: typo
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    It's that time of year (Halloween just around the corner) . . .

We just watched the original The Amityville Horrora(1979) and Burnt Offerings (1976). For some reason I prefer films in this genre from the 70's but Hereditary sounds right up our ally.
    It feels like Rosemary's Baby and the Excorcist the entire way through, very old school terror.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast