Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the point of a pistol suppressor?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

What's the point of a pistol suppressor?

I'm just a little at a loss for the practical purpose of a pistol suppressor. I'm waiting on two Form 4s right now for my rifle suppressor and I totally get that. I've done some damage to my hearing shooting as much as I do and there is a whole list of bonuses that come from suppressed rifles. But I think I'm missing something with the pistol suppressors, I just don't see them being useful.

Sure they might be fun and all, but that's a lot of money to spend on fun. Those of you with them, can you holster them with the suppressor in place? How do they handle with all the weight out in front? What are they really being used for?

I don't want to totally write off something that I just don't understand, so educate me. I'm all for suppressors, but I need them to really work for me for that kind of money.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm sure Special Forces find a use for them. Also, those that don't want to blow their ears out in a HD situation. Imagine how loud a pistol would be in an enclosed space, especially if you have kids.
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    I'm sure Special Forces find a use for them. Also, those that don't want to blow their ears out in a HD situation. Imagine how loud a pistol would be in an enclosed space, especially if you have kids.

For sure, I get the special forces deal for whacking dogs and people when it needs to be quiet...

I can buy the home defense deal because yes it's deafening in enclosed spaces. I guess my follow up to that would be do people with pistol suppressors that plan to have them on a home defense weapon train with them on enough? A pistol must handle totally different with a suppressor install right?

That noise issue is one of the reason I decided to get suppressors and I'll use my SBR for home defense if it ever came down to it, because I'd like to be able to actually hear the 911 dispatcher after the shootings over.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, I'm not sure. I don't have one or plan to have one for a pistol but would like one for my AR.
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Im waiting on my stamps to come back on my suppressors and one of them is in 9mm that I will use for HD purposes, but it will also double as a .22 can.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Since most pistol work revolves around concealed carry, not much is brought to the table in that regard.

However, the pure joy of being able to hear nature as you shoot it with a less noisy, lower recoil pistol, with a bit more "oomph" than a 22 is unparalleled in the adult world.

Well ... almost.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I have a pistol suppressor that I use at the range quite a bit. In a hd situation it will be handy to have, and besides that they are just fun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Because they are just plain cool and what F2S said...it is great to shoot without ear protection.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 03-04-12 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wait... you're "The Weapon Kingpin" and you don't understand the point of a pistol suppressor?

Do you own any suppressors or have you ever shot with one?

I don't question the practicality of things that people enjoy, but I would almost draw the opposite conclusion- most 556 rifle cans firing supersonic ammo at ~140-145 @ the ear is just too loud.

I'm personally much happier with a 9 or a 22 suppressor attached to a pistol, carbine, or subgun.

Also, as far as the home defense situation you describe, there really is no issue with defensive shooting and hearing loss because of auditory exclusion- the same response that is dilating your eyes and constricting your capillaries is also tightening the hammer and stirrup of your inner ear.

I would almost say if your ears are ringing, it might be an indicator of a bad shoot, but that's a whoooooole 'nother topic.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    My .22 supressed pistols have more confirmed kills than my shotguns and rifles. Not to mention shooting in the basement, while BBQ in the back yard....., I am going to quit before I get in trouble.

Oh yea, subsonic 9mm and .45 are a blast too!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast