Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 in 9 twist with TAP 75 grain?

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)

1 in 9 twist with TAP 75 grain?

So do you think my barrel can handle it? They had TAP 62 grain (which I picked up first) but after I was through looking around the store I accidently picked up the 75 grain. Im taking one of my AR's with a 1 in 9 twist hog hunting and I picked up the wrong ammo and I would hate to spend another 22 dollars for for 20 rounds of ammo!(Im poor after my last build)! Opinions appreciated!!

Feedback Score
    Only real way is to try a couple and see.

I have a 1/9 twist gun that shoots 75 grain Hornady bullets very well out to 250 yards (farthest I've tried). I hear of some 1/9 guns that don't.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Twist rate varies somewhat in barrels, some 1x9s are closer to 1x8 and others closer to 1x10. As UVvis said just try them. It won't hurt anything.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by evilmonkey View Post
    So do you think my barrel can handle it?
    You can either call Ms. Cleo and ask, or try the ammo out.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    While I would probably try it also, I wouldn't have time to go to the range without getting ammo I was more sure would work, so stop back at the shop and get the 62 gr just in case. While there, you could always ask to swap them, if you're not interested in keeping the 75 gr for the "two-way range."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sighting in and accuracy testing AND having enough left over to take hunting out a 20 round box should be entertaining...
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    fwiw ... I have a 1/9 upper built in 1995 (Colt 6721 16") that handles both 75gr TAP and 77gr Mk262 Mod O just fine - out to 200yds.

Unk beyond that because I don't have a local range I can shoot beyond 200yds.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just as a test today, I dug out one of my 1/9 twist carbines and put a couple of mags of 75gr TAP practice ammo through it. Worked fine out to 150yds other than the slight variation in POI over the M193 it was sighted in for.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    I have to take off my EOtech to put on a regular scope so when I go to the range in a couple days I'll sight it in with my 55 gr practice ammo then use my TAP ammo to see how it goes. I'll more then likely suck it up and buy the 62 gr to see which one works best.

Feedback Score
    C'mon. Hunting isn't like a 3-gun match. You shouldn't need to carry more than one or two rounds depending on the size of the hog and the bag limit. Right? That should leave you about 16 rds from the first box to T&E.

Don't ruin your chance on a hog hunt. Try some of the 75 gr stuff for accuracy and if you're not satisfied, spend another $22 to find out which round is better.

Good luck and don't forget to share the sausage!!!!

-B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast