Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbine Cut Out Rails options

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Carbine Cut Out Rails options

A little background first. I was getting jealous of my brothers AR's so i had to get one about. I of course never buy a gun without doing a fair share of reaseach so i joined this site around may to find out more about the ar-15. 6 months ago i bought my first AR-15 a Colt 6920 Magpul edition with money i saved going basic i bought ammo, sling, light w/ light mount. Who knew that i would end up listening to just go out and shoot it lol. I love this gun but i find that i like having a longer rail yet i like having the FSP. So with google i find out about carbine cut out rails and i go by the old standby m4carbine to find out which ones have been tried and proven to work well. All decent reviews i could find was either for Centurion C4, Troy Battlerails, and DD lite rails. Not much information and still poor from my ar purchase i didnt have the cash for a new rail so i let the idea go. I have savings again to purchase a good rail. I decided to see what my choices are. Since searches mainly brought up Centurion, DD, and Troy. I searched deeper and found a lot more then i thought. I have decided on either the centurion c4 fsp 12 or the DD lite fsp 12 leaning more the centurion because of the easier install.

Seeing how long it took me to find what i was looking for i decided to put together this list for people who like me have an ar-15 carbine and like their FSP but want a longer rail without having to get rid of the FSP. Please add any suggestions.
    [B]Centurion Arms C4 rail 12 FSP

[B]Centurion Arms C4 Carbine Cut Out 12

[B]Daniel Defense AR-15 Lite Rail 12 FSP

[B]Daniel Defense AR-15 Lite Rail 9.5

[B]Daniel Defense Omega x rail 12

[B]Daniel Defense M4A1 RIS ll

[B]Daniel Defense M4 Rail 9.5 FSP

[B]Daniel Defense M4 rail 12
    [B]Troy Battlerail Charlie
    [B]Troy Battlerail Delta

[B]Vltor case el

[B]Samson Star CXR
    [B]Samson Star CX-EBR

[B]Samson Star ex p

[B]Samson Evolution 7 EX

[B]Samson Evoution 7 EX Add 4” Rail Extension /B]
    Midwest industries fsp 12
    Apex carbine gator grip cut out
    Last edited by zombiescometh; 02-04-13 at 22:43.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    Can't go wrong with Centurion C4's. I don't have any experience with Troy's cut out rails and have played around with DD rails which are high quality. I would say go with the C4 just because its so damn easy to install, locks up tight, and are extremely light. I currently have their mid length cut out rail and I absolutely love it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGut View Post
    Can't go wrong with Centurion C4's. I don't have any experience with Troy's cut out rails and have played around with DD rails which are high quality. I would say go with the C4 just because its so damn easy to install, locks up tight, and are extremely light. I currently have their mid length cut out rail and I absolutely love it.
    Yeah i have narrowed it down To the C4 FSP 12 or the DD Lite FSP 12. Hopefully this helps other people who are having a hard time deciding.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    Yeah i have narrowed it down To the C4 FSP 12 or the DD Lite FSP 12. Hopefully this helps other people who are having a hard time deciding.
    Between the two, I'd pick the C4 rail, simply for the ease of installation. Just cut off the delta ring and handguard cap off of your 6920, and you'll have the C4 installed.

With the DD Lite, you'll have to remove the FSP and change barrel nuts.

Both of the rails are very well made, but in my opinion, the C4 takes the lead due to ease of installation. I'm running the C4 midlength cutout on one of my ARs, and it has been rock solid in terms of the mounting system. It has been through multiple classes and beat up a good bit, without any loosening of the rail.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. I only have experience with the DD rails and I really like them a lot but I have heard good things about the C4. You should be happy either way you go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    EDIT. Steadyup beat me to it
    Last edited by TheGut; 02-04-13 at 10:23.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My DD came of course with a DD rail...I really like the attention to detail and that it has relief cuts between the rails for easier mounting and small weight savings....plus I like the bolt up system and the strength it provides

Centurion or DD would be my pick for you
    Last edited by thehun; 02-04-13 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    Add Apex handguards to your list of cutouts.

I was looking for a cutout rail for my 10.5" LMT, currently residing in NFA purgatory. I will also be using a suppressor, and I wanted to keep the front sight so my choices were mainly limited to the Vltor and the Apex. I am going with the Apex because it looks to be a little more low profile all around, and it does not add any height to the top rail.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice quick reference guide.

Have the VLTOR CASV-S (stepped 16" version) on my rifle and love it.

Something that should be made aware of the CASV system is that it is a no modification drop in free float interchangeable rail system. This means that it slots right on top of your flat top raip and into the delta ring and that you can put rails 'wherever you want' on it or none at all.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 02-04-13 at 19:41.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    the centurion c4 is definitely easier to install than the DD, but when you're installing the c4, I ended up loosening the front sight post and removing the gas tube anyway, and changing the barrel nut and flash hider to put a DD rail on is easy to do once you've done that much.

I haven't had a problem with either rail, but I'm partial to the DD RIS II rails as they fit my hand best and have a very high quality feel to them.

Edit: read the instructions from centurion instead of installation videos on YouTube. you'll save yourself the step of removing the FSB, which definitely makes the C4 an easier install.
    Last edited by avengd7x; 02-10-13 at 09:57.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast