Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safariland 6004: ALS vs. SLS

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Safariland 6004: ALS vs. SLS

I think it would be a fair statement to say that the Safariland 6004 is the most popular thigh holster on the market. The one-strap/high ride modification appears to be popular with those on this website also. I have several 6004 holster all of which have been modified to ride higher than factory. I have always been satisfied with most aspects of the 6004. However, I consider myself to be very slow from the draw using the SLS 6004.

I have recently been introduced to the ALS version of the Safariland holster by Eric Corley at CSAT, and the ALS sysem seems to be much faster than the SLS holster. I have not had a chance to confirm the speed increase yet, but I will the next chance I get to go to the range.

For my needs I cannot imagine any cons to running the ALS versus the SLS. However, the ALS holster does not seem to be very popular. Everyone seems to have the SLS version.

So my questions are:

1. What are your draw times with the SLS and/or ALS version of the 6004?

2. Do those of you using the 6004 even know how slow/fast you are with that holster?

Here is a pic of my new ALS holster and an old SLS holster:

Feedback Score
    I did the same thing and it works great.
    "Respect all, fear none"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    retension...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    KevinB

retension...
    Oh yeah baby....

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Shortly after the original post I had an opportunity to sneek off to the range. Using a CED 7000, I confirmed my hunch. Using the ALS holster shaved over half a second from my time.

Even though I am quite ashamed of my slow times here they are:

With the SLS 6004 starting at the interview position, I was getting A-Zone hits at 7 yards from the holster in 1.67 -- 1.85 seconds.

Today with the ALS 6004 starting at the interview position, I was consistently getting A-Zone hits at 10 yards in 1.14 seconds. With a few runs at 1.07 seconds. I could fire a second shot in the A-Zone in under the amount of time it took to fire one A-Zone hit with the SLS holster.

Feedback Score

ALS/SLS

I have been using the 6004 with ALS/SLS combo. It is much more secure than the SLS alone and draw times are a little faster. The ALS alone would be extremely fast.

Feedback Score

A note on SLS retention...

The SLS hood or "roll top" has been around about a decade. It is a great design and I used it for years....however, there have been instances where prisoners, gang members and others have trained to disarm the users of these holsters. I actually had an MS13 member describe to me the "slap" method to open these from the front (slap the top of the gun and pull back) and they know how to operate the SLS from the back. It should be noted, I have not actually heard of an officer being disarmed with this method. And yes, I know Safariland now makes the "hood" that protects the "hood" which can be purchased and added.

Understandably, irregardless of what kind of holster you run, weapon retention tactics are paramount! A crushed windpipe, broken wrist or a GSW would be in order for a gun grab.

SLS's seem to find ways to open themselves (at least mine did).

The ALS can not be slapped. Most thugs are not aware of how to activate the release. The weapon is very secure. I have been running an ALS holster with a paddleback for my G23/19's. I am very satisfied.

ALS+SLS= a very secure weapon.

Feedback Score

ALS/SLS

I checked my draw times on the timer and found that I am just as fast and sometimes faster with the combo as I am with just the SLS. I won't use the triple retention Safariland model ( Judge Dredd Jedi holster), because my draw times were too slow.

Feedback Score
    If they would just make the SLS 'button' sit up 3/8's higher it'd be a whole lot easier to hit it and make a clean draw in one fluid move - that's the one thing I'd change since I can not grow a longer thumb.

ToddG Guest
    I'm pretty fast from the holster with an SLS, especially if I spend an hour getting re-acclimated to it (since I rarely use a retention holster).

The ALS, however, might as well be an open-top no-retention holster in terms of speed. If you're getting a proper firing grip on the gun while it's still in the holster (which you should), the ALS takes care of itself.

The ALS system's primary purpose as I understand it was to provide a secondary retention capability to SLS holsters to alleviate the quick reholster problem. In other words, if you've got the gun out and suddenly find yourself needing to go hands-on with a suspect, etc., you cannot just put the gun back in the holster with the SLS. You have to put the hood up, too, or you've got a gun in a loose bucket. With the ALS, you have some level of retention as soon as the gun goes back into the holster.

The point David Thomas made was spot on. Too much retention is like too much focus on slow bullseye accuracy; it would be great if time were not a factor but time is almost always a factor. Too little retention is like too much speed without accuracy; it's great fun but won't do you much good in real life.

Personally, if I were going about in a uniformed role with a gun on my hip, I'd opt for the SLS+ALS combo without the thumb guard. I'd rather give up a tenth or two on my draw, and spend a few days really working out the kinks in the technique, so that I had a holster which was going to help me in the event of five drunk islamobikerfascists jumping me and trying to get my gun away from me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast