Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: painting ARs

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    once you paint on krylon and stuff is there ever a way to remove it to get that nice Tacticool black look?

also, can degreaser hurt my rifle at all? what is a good one that wont mess up anything that you guys recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Michael View Post
    once you paint on krylon and stuff is there ever a way to remove it to get that nice Tacticool black look?

also, can degreaser hurt my rifle at all? what is a good one that wont mess up anything that you guys recommend?
    Chlorine free brake cleaner works pretty well. Also, hot soapy water works great too. If you are doing steel parts and use the soap and water route you want to dry things pretty quickly. A hair dryer works great, or a 150 degree oven.
    SSGN- my new home under water. Capable of delivering150 Tomahawk missles, 90 Spec-ops operators and most importantly, I get to have a real medical space...with a door and everything!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    Chlorine free brake cleaner works pretty well. Also, hot soapy water works great too. If you are doing steel parts and use the soap and water route you want to dry things pretty quickly. A hair dryer works great, or a 150 degree oven.
    If you go the soapy water route, use WD-40 in all the nooks and crannies. WD=water displacer and will get it out. Then also let it dry in an open as dry as possible area etc.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How does the "Removable Mission Specific Camouflage Coating" wear/look/remove?

Is it a decent option for those of us who love the look of a painted gun but aren't sure we want to go all out?

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.c...movable%20Camo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    If you go the soapy water route, use WD-40 in all the nooks and crannies. WD=water displacer and will get it out. Then also let it dry in an open as dry as possible area etc.
    That would kind of put back some "grease", which could be counter productive if you are applying paint or a spray on coating that you want to have stick to the surface of the gun.
    SSGN- my new home under water. Capable of delivering150 Tomahawk missles, 90 Spec-ops operators and most importantly, I get to have a real medical space...with a door and everything!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    SO yo dont HAVE to heat up the Duracoat to use it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Michael View Post
    SO yo dont HAVE to heat up the Duracoat to use it?
    No. However it helps. Do you want to create an easy way of heating your stuff up?

Cover it with a tarp or something (don't let it touch your work of art) and stick some lightbulbs underneath.
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    That would kind of put back some "grease", which could be counter productive if you are applying paint or a spray on coating that you want to have stick to the surface of the gun.
    yes, sorry, confused was I as to why we were washing.

Use a degreaser chemical. I got a gallon of something from the Duracoat people. It works wonders.

Feedback Score
    Please, for the sake of your rifle and your sanity-use the Duracoat! Krylon does not stand up to most bore cleaners and other solvents. Once your duracoat is properly cured you can smack it up against a tree if you want-you'll hurt the tree and your rifle more than the Duracoat. Spray paint from a rattle can will eventually peel and scratch. Sure you can get it off, but it'l take you all day with laquer thinner and your original finish will never look the same and you will need to paint it all over again. It lives up to the hype and it's worth the trouble. I would not recommend using Duracoat's airbrush and propellant can though(crap). Buy or borrow a good airbrush and compressor (the pawn shops are full of them) I prefer a small touch-up gun to an airbrush. As far as heat goes I like to let it flash for about an hour and then put the parts in the oven at 150 degrees for about 30 minutes but you don't have to. It may not be to everyone's taste, but the Multicam job below took about 8 hours and I even made all my own stencils during those 8 hours. You should be able to do your first one color job in 4 hours or less.

Last edited by my65swede@yahoo.com; 11-20-08 at 14:50.
    ...links zwo drei vier, links!

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Swede,

Many of us here have who have painted our stuff have used Krylon and it works fine. It is easy to touch up when needed and I have very little issues with it holding up. Having said that I don't care of they look pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by my65swede@yahoo.com View Post
    Please, for the sake of your rifle and your sanity-use the Duracoat! Krylon does not stand up to most bore cleaners and other solvents. Once your duracoat is properly cured you can smack it up against a tree if you want-you'll hurt the tree and your rifle more than the Duracoat. Spray paint from a rattle can will eventually peel and scratch. Sure you can get it off, but it'l take you all day with laquer thinner and your original finish will never look the same and you will need to paint it all over again. It lives up to the hype and it's worth the trouble. I would not recommend using Duracoat's airbrush and propellant can though(crap). Buy or borrow a good airbrush and compressor (the pawn shops are full of them) I prefer a small touch-up gun to an airbrush. As far as heat goes I like to let it flash for about an hour and then put the parts in the oven at 150 degrees for about 30 minutes but you don't have to. It may not be to everyone's taste, but the Multicam job below took about 8 hours and I even made all my own stencils during those 8 hours. You should be able to do your first one color job in 4 hours or less.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast