Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nuclear Courier

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nuclear Courier

Was wondering if anyone here works in this field. Or knows of someone who does. Planning on getting into the program and looking for any feedback.
    Thanks
    [I]Life is Hard, It is even Harder if You are Stupid.
    John Wayne[/I]

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I don't know terribly too much, as I only occasionally work with radioactive/nuclear materials.

I know that, primarily, the regulatory code that deals with transportation of nuclear materials is Code of Federal Regulations number 42, commonly abbreviated as "CFR 42".

You should look into the NRC codes, regulating radioactive items and the transport thereof.

I'm not a courier; that being said, any, and I mean any, time a nuclear device is transferred, moved, budged, nudged, etc., you will be required to have a dated bill of lading, copies of your firm's licenses, etc. There's always an ungodly amount of paperwork that must be present at all times.

Posting, or as I call it, advertising, on the transport vehicle that nuclear materials are present is no longer required for security purposes.

You'll need to get a certification of some kind, depending on what type of materials you'll be working with/transporting. Usually these are given through training programs offered through your employer.

Most radioactive materials are housed in a manner that limits your exposure. I believe the yearly permissable dose is 5,000 millirems, something you'll probably never be exposed to, even in a lifetime as a courier, due to a lack of direct exposure. You'll most likely get a film-strip badge that monitors your exposure monthly.

As I've stated, I'm not a courier, but the regualtory codes, IIRC, are pretty much universal, in regards to the transport of radiological devices.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The question he is asking was in regards to the federal agents that make up the security detail for the transportation of nuclear materials and the various components of the nuclear field, both weapons and power plant needs. Also the security of our various nuclear facilities.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    My bad, broski.

My experience lies only in the private sector.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What would you like to know?

The couriers are Federal Agents, but do not enforce any laws outside of DOE property. They do not carry outside of their duties.

The course lasts about 6 months, and you won't make much money during it, but afterwards you can rack up some road time.

They do not protect fixed sites, that is handled by contractors, but they maintain similar standards, and clearances.

You will need to be able to be granted a clearance thru DOE, and be certified in the HRP program. If you have any history of drug use, weapons violations, vehicle accidents, drinking or DUI's, etc it will make it very difficult. You will need to pass a physical and psychological exam.

You will need to get a CDL, its part of the 6 month program.

What else?

BTW, fuel for a nuclear reactor the generates power for delivery to the grid, is not in the same category as Special Nuclear Material, category 1 and 2. It does not require the same level of protection, and the couriers do not transport it.

Bob

Feedback Score
    Nuclear power plant fuel is not activated until it is set into the reactor. It ships into here on regular tractor trailers... there is no security force following it or anything crazy.

I work for a nuclear power plant. I'm setting about 200 yards from the reactor right now :]
    I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    Nuclear power plant fuel is not activated until it is set into the reactor. It ships into here on regular tractor trailers... there is no security force following it or anything crazy.

I work for a nuclear power plant. I'm setting about 200 yards from the reactor right now :]
    Activated?
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Feedback Score
    It comes in not yet bombarded. Once it is loaded into the core and lowered it gets bombarded by the other fuel. Fuel rod changes are not done in mass, its a slow rotation of the oldest rods. So anyways, when the fuel comes in new it is giving off radiation, but nothing to write home about. Once it goes into the core and gets hit with massive electrons it goes crazy and that is how the fuel gets turned on.... in VERY simple terms.

It's like your wife... you have to excite it before it gets all hot and wild.
    I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    It comes in not yet bombarded. Once it is loaded into the core and lowered it gets bombarded by the other fuel. Fuel rod changes are not done in mass, its a slow rotation of the oldest rods. So anyways, when the fuel comes in new it is giving off radiation, but nothing to write home about. Once it goes into the core and gets hit with massive electrons it goes crazy and that is how the fuel gets turned on.... in VERY simple terms.
    Sorry dude! Not a very good explanation of the physics or the process. Besides the fact that neutrons do the deed, not electrons, you have some other misunderstandings in your discussion.

BTW, I'm not a nuclear engineer, but I was in the control room of TMI 1 while it was being commissioned and obviously before the meltdown. Crawled through the reactor containment vessel of TMI 2 to debug some equipment I was working on. I don't think I want to go back to either since the meltdown.
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast