Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Kit

Feedback Score

Backpacking Kit

Going on a short trip next weekend. Hiking a few miles and then camping in the woods for 2 nights/3 days. There will be 6 of us, I think.

What to take for a medical kit?

Limitations are that I'm the smallest and carrying my tent/sleeping bag/camel back, etc. is not going to leave a lot of room/weight for me to carry a lot. It's possible I can push something off on one the guys, but I'd prefer not to. So the kit has to be small.

I've got the standard trauma stuff ..and everyone there will probably have a standard first aid kit so I can go light on the bandaids and tylenol..but also we're going to be several miles from civilization so anything that might happen is going to have to be dealt with as much as possible there. What else would you include?

I'm going to toss some Silvadene in, benedryl, ice packs.
    Deeds, not words.

Feedback Score
    The basic first aid kit should be just fine, especially if everyone else will have their own kit as well.

the usual bandage/splint stuff, a pocket mask, a mylar space blanket, some duct tape, plus triple antibiotic ointment, ibuprofen, tylenol, benadryl, and pseudophedrine.
    Last edited by FMF_Doc; 06-18-09 at 21:50.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I'm actually pitching things out but want to make sure I have the best possible combination.

(Unrelated to the thread: My son is FMF, too)
    Last edited by Barbara; 06-18-09 at 22:36.
    Deeds, not words.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    This is a bit old-school but it should have everything you'd possibly need outside of a few of the meds. I don't think you really need to worry about splints, you can make one pretty easily if you know what you're doing.

http://www.qm-supply.com/zenstore/in...products_id=66

I'd keep things simple in terms of medication. ASA can do everything that ibuprofen and tylenol can do. As for allergy stuff, you're not the pharmacy...I'd make sure others carry their own if they're susceptible. Bendryl might be worthwhile if there is lots of poison ivy about.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    I only pack meds for me nowadays, since it is a planned trip each individual should be responsible for their own, but as general first aid items the bacitracin, and benadryl are always a good idea.

I am used to being expected to have everything for every situation that could possibly be encountered, so I tend to overpack aid kits (always assuming worst case, mass casualty,etc.).

Simple is best, especially for a backpacking trip.... duct tape is the stuff of legends.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, same thing..we're each responsible for our own and I'm going to have enough going carrying enough supplies for myself..not big enough to carry enough for everyone..but its always good to look at the possibility and plan responses ahead of time, especially since we'll be a ways out.

I think the Silvadene, allergy meds and an extra cold pack will be the additions to the day to day things.
    Deeds, not words.

Feedback Score
    Latex gloves, bandages, neosporin, alcohol pads, benadryl stick, and asprin/ib profuen. Also get some twissers and medical sheers.

Feedback Score
    super glue (poor man's Dermabond)
    10cc syringe for irrigation
    chunk of bar Soap
    a mess of 4x4s
    Steri-strips

That will close most wounds and doesn't take much space.

Feedback Score
    A couple of Sam Splints wouldn't be a bad idea. They're light and compact well.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Space blanket
    EMT Shears
    Needles or tweezers
    Tourniquet (or something capable of being one)
    Bandages
    Neosporin
    Alcohol swabs
    Aspirin
    Pint of Jack Daniels
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast