Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare parts for m4?

Feedback Score

Spare parts for m4?

Not very experienced with ARs and have been reading this forum for a while now. Have had a couple of ARs, like them, and want to learn more about them.

My current one is a very basic (not expensive) model. My question is about putting together a spare parts kit. I like to be prepared and would like to have a parts kit for the BOB. What are the necessary parts I should have on hand to be able to keep my rifle functioning?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    My recommendation:

1. Spare LPK

2. Spare BCG

3. Spare bolt, 2 firing pins, 2 firing pin retaining pins, 2 extractor kits, 2 cam pins, & 3 sets of gas rings.

4. Spare buffer, and 2 buffer springs.

5. USGI cleaning kit with quality lube to keep in shooting bag, case, etc.

6. 4 batteries for Aimpoints, and 10 for anything that eats a battery in less than 1k hours.

Don't have to buy everything at once. Unless you have a catastrophic failure of the weapon the above will keep you in the game for a while at least. I like to throw in several small parts with orders, and within a year you will have a good set of spare parts. I keep everything in a fishing lure box. Easy to transport, keeps things organized, and its nice to have parts on hand when you need them. You will also need a decent set of tools to work on the gun. Punches, hammer, armorers wrench, screwdrivers, etc.

Feedback Score
    Just buy another gun and keep it for a spare

Feedback Score
    Some people I know keep a little oil bottle in the pistol grip. A shot of this will usually help keep the gun running.

Yes parts break, but it's really hard to prepare for everything. If you use good internals from a quality company you shouldn't have a problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    My recommendation:

1. Spare LPK
    For the price of an LPK you can get a couple of the various "spare parts kits" for sale out there. They tend to include extra pins and springs and rings, which are most likely to wear out, break, or get lost, and none of the stuff that isn't likely to wear out or break or get lost (who really needs a spare A2 pistol grip?).

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhide101 View Post
    I like to be prepared and would like to have a parts kit for the BOB. What are the necessary parts I should have on hand to be able to keep my rifle functioning?
    If you're looking for a workbench or range bag spare parts kit, the sky's the limit. But, you mentioned you want it for your BOB (Bail Out Bag). If that's the case, then you need to ask yourself what you feel comfortable fixing or replacing in a field expedient manner. If its a spares kit for a BOB, then it needs to be stuff that needs to be, and can, be fixed in a hurry. Spare complete bolt and maybe a carrier, lube, extra batteries for everything that eats them, and a basic cleaning kit (collapsible rod, couple of patches, and a jag) is about all I want to do in the field, especially since I won't have tools.

For a home kit though, Belmont's concept of buying a tool or a spare part with every order is a great idea.

Better yet, just get another gun and use your current one or the new one (depending on what you have) as a spare or for harvesting parts.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score

what is lpk ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taz95dog View Post
    Lower Parts Kit

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...rchResult.html
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 03-22-10 at 19:58.

Feedback Score

thanks

now i'm a little bit smarter

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    My recommendation:

1. Spare LPK

2. Spare BCG

3. Spare bolt, 2 firing pins, 2 firing pin retaining pins, 2 extractor kits, 2 cam pins, & 3 sets of gas rings.

4. Spare buffer, and 2 buffer springs.

5. USGI cleaning kit with quality lube to keep in shooting bag, case, etc.

6. 4 batteries for Aimpoints, and 10 for anything that eats a battery in less than 1k hours.

Don't have to buy everything at once. Unless you have a catastrophic failure of the weapon the above will keep you in the game for a while at least. I like to throw in several small parts with orders, and within a year you will have a good set of spare parts. I keep everything in a fishing lure box. Easy to transport, keeps things organized, and its nice to have parts on hand when you need them. You will also need a decent set of tools to work on the gun. Punches, hammer, armorers wrench, screwdrivers, etc.

That’s what I’m trying to put together, and in the same type of container. Once I get the money set aside I plan on buying a spare bolt carrier group, spare cam pin, and an extra cotter pin or two because of their small size. I’m going to figure out what pins and springs are most likely to be lost or broken and buy them instead of buying an entire spare LPK. A spare buffer and spring wouldn’t be a bad idea. I’ll have a spare A2 grip and screw/washer, and once I buy a BCM Gunfighter charging handle, I’ll have a spare stock charging handle as well. A set of gas rings or two, bottle of CLP (or whatever oil/grease I decide to use), front sight tool, spare batteries, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast