Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Pistol 101 Review

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Defensive Pistol 101 Review

In my county (and the surrounding counties), there is a huge lack of training options available. While everyone has their CCW (or is getting it), there is nothing else available for them to grow as a defensive shooter.

Because of this, Sgt. Watson of the Tuscarawas County S.O. and myself have started to teach Defensive pistol, carbine, shotgun and AK at the Tusco Rifle Club (http://www.tuscorifle.org/).

Yesterday was our first class (Defensive Pistol). We had about 26 shooters come out for the free training.

After the safety brief and a short discussion on our backgrounds, we got right into the drills.

Because of the limited time (two hours), we started off with Larry Vickers "ball and dummy" drill. We are able to cover the first two stages of this drill and could really see the eyes opening of new shooters and old shooters alike. Some never realized that they had a flinch as bad as they did.

We also covered grip, stance and weight balance. It is always amazing to me to see what people will come up with on their own. Adjusting grips and stances was a constant thing.

At the end of the training, we ran the Delta 10-10-10 drill. The purpose of which was to show them what we wanted them to be able to complete by the end of the year. Very few to none passed it, but it was another good eye opener for them.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good on ya Grant!

Teaching is a rare skill, teaching well even rarer, and the willingness to do it for no personal financial gain even rarer.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    good for you. Looks like a good turn out.

Most of the locals that I call friends will not go to the range with me to learn how to shoot even if I provide them with free ammo and food.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Good on ya Grant!

Teaching is a rare skill, teaching well even rarer, and the willingness to do it for no personal financial gain even rarer.
    Thanks. This has been a goal of mine for awhile and I finally got motivated to create a training curriculum, work with the gun club to set it up and get the members interested in it.

The feedback we received was great and everyone learned something from it.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    good for you. Looks like a good turn out.

Most of the locals that I call friends will not go to the range with me to learn how to shoot even if I provide them with free ammo and food.
    I know. In this class, we had a local FireFighter and an EMT. No local LE came.

I am fairly convinced that I could provide free training, food, and ammo and they wouldn't come.

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Good on ya! Wish I lived in VA/OH, I'd definitely be there.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Pretty neat! I am sure those who attended did appreciate the opportunity.

I did a Google/Bing/M4C search, and did not get any results on the "Delta 10-10-10" drill. Can you share it with us, when you have a moment?

Thank you kindly.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Pretty neat! I am sure those who attended did appreciate the opportunity.

I did a Google/Bing/M4C search, and did not get any results on the "Delta 10-10-10" drill. Can you share it with us, when you have a moment?

Thank you kindly.
    The Delta drill is:

10rds
    10yds
    10 seconds

Use an NRA 25yd pistol target (with the rings numbered). You count the rings for score. Passing is 100, but if you can shoot a 90 and above, you are pretty good. I have never shot above a 97 on it (FYI).

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 04-20-10 at 13:48.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Good job Ben and Grant.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast