Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recountouring / fluting a barrel : Stainless vs CMV/Chrome Moly

Feedback Score

Recountouring / fluting a barrel : Stainless vs CMV/Chrome Moly

Can a STAINLESS barrel be aggressively recountoured into government profile?

I have a Stainless SPR-type profile barrel that I intend to reprofile or flute in order to save weight. I've been reading that this type of jobs might affect the barrel accuracy, although I'm not really a sub-MOA kind of shooter. I just want a acceptable-accuracy of 1-2 MOA at 200 yards.

I've done this before on a C/Moly HBAR and I really loved that barrel.

Feedback Score
    I've heard good results from re-profiling at http://www.ar15barrels.com/services.shtml among others. However my limited research on fluting showed that this is not a good idea after a certain point in the barrel making process. Sorry I can't back that up, but you can probably google it.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    No problem to contour to an A1 profile on a stainless 5.56 barrel, but I would not go any thinner.
    Contouring will reduce MUCH more weight than simply fluting.
    I suggest a compromise contour of around 0.650" to 0.700" under the handguards and then leaving the front of the barrel from the gas block seat forward alone.
    This will remove a significant amount of weight from your SPR profile barrel.
    Last edited by AR15barrels; 09-21-10 at 19:03.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Randall.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Do you have their contact info?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akula88 View Post
    Can a STAINLESS barrel be aggressively recountoured into government profile?

I have a Stainless SPR-type profile barrel that I intend to reprofile or flute in order to save weight. I've been reading that this type of jobs might affect the barrel accuracy, although I'm not really a sub-MOA kind of shooter. I just want a acceptable-accuracy of 1-2 MOA at 200 yards.

I've done this before on a C/Moly HBAR and I really loved that barrel.

Feedback Score
    Would a decent compromise be recontouring the barrel forward of the gas block and fluting the barrel behind the gas block? The fluting would help maintain rigidity and still remove a bit of weight, and the forward recontouring would shave more weight from the front.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Go 0.650 under the HG and add this: http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.5_hs.php
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    How does that heat sink affect accuracy in regards to a free-floated barrel? Seems like hanging a heat sink off a barrel would be detrimental to accuracy but I've never seen that before so I can only speculate.

Feedback Score
    I don't have one, so I am speculating...If you were "hanging it off" the barrel and exerting sling/bipod pressure against the end of the barrel, then yeah. But it appears the 2 halves are screwed around the barrel along its length, and you'd carefully choose a FF HG which doesn't touch it, so I don't see any issue. I don't think JP is selling snake oil, however you'd have to decide if it makes sense for you, and if not it looks easy enough to uninstall.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Interesting piece nonetheless. Probably not something I would put on a fighting rifle but on a varmint or competition rig I can see the benefit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast