Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: C-Products 9mm Mags - Initial Mini-Review

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

C-Products 9mm Mags - Initial Mini-Review

I purchased twelve 32rd CProducts 9mm mags some time right after they came out. A friend of mine, "G", received the entire package and tested a few of the mags in his setup.

The mags he tested were having some serious feeding issues in conjunction with the dedicated Hahn mag block we both use.

Using trial and error, "G" was able to press the mag up a fraction of an inch and eliminate the issues completely.

Armed with this knowledge, Larry had the guys trim the mag catch a fraction of an inch to duplicate the position that "G" was using.

We got the modified mag back and tested them in "G's" setup, as well as my own.

Issues were eliminated using the modified mags, so we sent the entirety of our mags back to CProducts to be replaced with reprofiled mag catches.

I just tested my 12 for function today.

I loaded 10 mags with 15rds of AEF9P Federal American Eagle 147gr subsonic flat nose ammo. I loaded two mags with 25rds each. A total of 200rds in 12 mags. As a point of note, loading these Cprod mags is markedly easier than loading Colt 32rd mags. Effort to load feels like it was cut in half.

The carbine I am shooting is configured like this:

ArmaLite SBR'ed M15A4 lower
    Dedicated Hahn mag block
    RRA 9mm upper receiver
    Colt/SAW 9mm tungsten weighted & ramped bolt
    Daniel Defense M4 7.0 rail
    5" TROS 3-lug barrel
    SWR Trident 9 suppressor
    MI back up sights front and rear
    Aimpoint M2 w/ Larue mount

In 200rds I had 3 failures -- a 1.5% failure rate.

The failures were of two types and came near the end of the session.

1) Failure to extract. The case was almost out of the ejection port, and for some reason the extractor lost hold, and the bolt pinned it to the front of the ejction port during the forward stroke.

2) Failure to extract. Exact duplicate of above.

3) Failure to extract, empty case wedged into the barrel extension with the next live round, bolt pressing forward on both cases.

Truthfully, this looked, felt and smells like a dirty or weak extractor -- not a mag issue.

I was painfully remiss in cleaning the carbine since the last session, which as we all knows can get REALLY funky when shooting 100% suppressed.

I am going to clean the weapon today, and repeat the test with a more precise round count and mag markings in the near future.

In conclusion, if you use a dedicated Hahn block you must request a special modification to your mags until CProducts changes the mag catch dimension on their mags. However, if you get the proper mags for your setup from Cproducts you will get a quality product that performs well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have read of RRA 9mm bolts having extract/eject issues because of the type of extractor pin they use. Apparently it is some type of rolled-up metal pin and not a split-type roll pin. I have read of folks replacing it with the appropriate sized split roll pin and solving these problems.

I don't have first hand experience, so hopefully someone will come along and fill in the details.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Interesting. I'm sending back two mags today because they don't lock the bolt back on my Colt. When unloading one of them to put it in the box I also had the follower stick. Hopefully they will correct them.

I took some pictures comparing a Colt mag to a Cproducts. I'll have to find them and post them.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    I have read of RRA 9mm bolts having extract/eject issues because of the type of extractor pin they use. Apparently it is some type of rolled-up metal pin and not a split-type roll pin. I have read of folks replacing it with the appropriate sized split roll pin and solving these problems.

I don't have first hand experience, so hopefully someone will come along and fill in the details.
    I will clarify my post....my bolt is a Colt SAW-prepared tungsten weighted ramped unit.

Probably the pinnacle of 9mm bolts on the market.

To be clear, I probably had over 2000rds of suppressed full auto blasting on the upper/bolt with no real cleaning to speak of....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Interesting. I'm sending back two mags today because they don't lock the bolt back on my Colt. When unloading one of them to put it in the box I also had the follower stick. Hopefully they will correct them.

I took some pictures comparing a Colt mag to a Cproducts. I'll have to find them and post them.

Rob, I had the identical issue with my 6450 SBR and Cproducts mags. I shipped them back about a week ago. It was clear to me that the follower was not designed properly for the Colt's BHO - the tab on the back was too low and thus did not engage the BHO. Also, the mags were very tight in the well.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    It was my understanding that C-Prod worked with Colt on this project...

Is that just internet rumor??

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckbreaker View Post
    Rob, I had the identical issue with my 6450 SBR and Cproducts mags. I shipped them back about a week ago. It was clear to me that the follower was not designed properly for the Colt's BHO - the tab on the back was too low and thus did not engage the BHO. Also, the mags were very tight in the well.
    When I put the two mags side-by-side it looked to me like the changes made to the Cproducts would SEEM like a good idea if designed in a vacuum (i.e. without testing them in a gun).

I should be able to find the pics in a couple of days.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    I will clarify my post....my bolt is a Colt SAW-prepared tungsten weighted ramped unit.

Sorry, I missed that.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    Sorry, I missed that.
    Nope I added it after you mentioned it.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I have been running the Cproducts mags in my RRA system without issue.

C4

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast