Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first 1911

Feedback Score

My first 1911

Last summer I got bit by the 1911 bug in a bad way. Unfortunately, gun money was hard to come by. Then on a local forum an RIA GI model came up for sale, unfired for $350. I was able to quickly sell a Mossberg 500 that I rarely shot and a couple of AR mags and then bring this home on the same day:

The previous owner had done a little polishing on the feed ramp and I bought an arched MSH from him but the gun was untouched aside from that. The next day I hit the range with a 100 box of WWB. The first 4 magazines from 21' gave me this:

I was in love...and a little pain. That 100 round box of ammo left me with a permanent mark on my hand from the GI safety digging in under recoil.

I had already planned on replacing the plain, smooth grips and now was in search for a beaver tail grip safety. I locked out big time and a friend from the same local forum had a stainless Kimber that he had decided to go full custom on, basically only reusing the frame and slide. He offered me a goody bag of parts for a way low price. I essentially got every part out of his frame and the barrel bushing for $50. I did the radiusing and install of the beaver tail myself. I got a set of ed brown cocobolo grips for it and since I had started using it in competition I got a Wilson stainless mag well to speed up mag changes.

The GI sights went in favor of a white dot front and I just had the slide milled and Novak front and rear sights installed. Since a good deal of work had been done I also had my smith do a good polish on the feed ramp and Duracoat the frame and slide matte black. I just got it back together and have not had a chance to shoot it again yet, but I can't wait.

I still haven't tried any HPs through it yet, mostly because its expensive enough to shoot FMJ, but it hasn't had a single issue of any kind so far. Mostly put WWB and Remington through it. Probably getting close to 1000 rounds by now.

All and all I've got probably about $600 total into the pistol as it sits now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Those are some nifty little upgrades you gave it. I'm not really a fan of stainless, but the controls accent the black pistol very well. I'm interested to hear how it shoots in it's current condition. You did well.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. The only thing that has changed since I last shot it is the sights and the color...factory park finish to black duracoat...so I'm not expecting any surprises. All the other upgrades were done within the first month of ownership and only made it more of a pleasure to shoot. Hoping to get to the range this week.

Feedback Score
    Here's a shot of it in the intermediate stage, with the kimber parts and previous sights. This is the way most of the rounds have gone through it.

Feedback Score
    i wasnt aware that you could get a 1911 for 350$

Feedback Score
    The RIA Government models go for around $400 new, little over or under depending on the deal you find. You can get their tactical for well under $500 usually which has a lot of the upgrades like better sights, beaver tail and extended thumb safety.
    Last edited by ssracer; 03-14-11 at 19:29.

Feedback Score

RIA 1911

Congrats on the new rig. A friend of mine didn't take my advice when he wanted a basic 1911 recently. I advised a SA GI model, but he got an RIA instead. When he let me shoot it, I was impressed- real good trigger, great accuracy, and a nice package all in all. When you consider the low price, it's pretty incredible. WB
    NRA Endowment Life member
    Proud veteran of the Naval Security Group

Feedback Score
    Good price. If it works for you, you did very well. Head to the range and put 500-1000 through it without cleaning with all of the magazines you can acumulate.

Feedback Score
    One thing I haven't done is lots of ammo with no cleaning. Always been anal about cleaning my pistols after each range trip and never have that much pistol ammo with me at one time....especially .45, that crap is going to break me...lol. somewhere between 100 and 200 at a time is the most I have done so far.

I've got 7 or 8 mags for it right now. They are all 8rd ACT mags.

Feedback Score
    Fine looking pistol ssracer, congratulations.
    "Never confuse movement with action."
    Ernest Hemingway

Join the NRA - protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast