Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New AR Pistol with Forward Grip...Non NFA?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

New AR Pistol with Forward Grip...Non NFA?

Anyone else seen this? I wonder if the ATF Approval may open doors for other manufacturers to do the same thing.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS.html

Their video link is probably the most retarded move I've seen in awhile. I take it they want to market to the "drive by" crowd...LOL!
    Last edited by wahoo95; 05-12-11 at 20:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I heard about that letter. I have not seen the actual letter, but I think it says OAL has to be 26 or so to have a vert grip on a pistol. Isn't the magpul afg legal? I am thinking about getting one.

Feedback Score
    Franklin Armory is based in CA and developed the XO-26 as a way to get an "AR pistol" with a vertical forward grip without going to the AOW route.

The Franklin Armory XO-26 has an OAL greater than 26", therefore under Federal laws it is not a handgun but an other (long gun that is not a rifle). Since, it's an other, it can legally have a VFG without having it be an AOW.

The Franklin Armory XO-26 has a barrel length less than 16", therefore under CA state laws it is a handgun.

Since it is a "handgun" under CA state laws, it is being sold in CA as a handgun.

In CA...
    Firearms are transfered via 4473 form & CA DROS system.
    The 4473 form allows for "handgun", "long gun" or "other" & CA DROS allows for "handgun" or "long gun".
    On the 4473, the Franklin Armory XO-26 would be transfered as an "other".
    On the CA DROS, the Franklin Armory XO-26 would be transfered as a "handgun".

Summary about forward grips on "handguns"...
    AFG on a less than 26" OAL and less than 16" rifled barrel pistol = no stamp needed.
    VFG on a less than 26" OAL and less than 16" rifled barrel pistol = AOW stamp needed.
    VFG on a greater than 26" OAL and less than 16" rifled barrel firearm = no stamp needed.
    Last edited by Quiet; 05-13-11 at 01:18. Reason: make summary less confusing

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks for the info Quiet!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet View Post

Summary about forward grips on "handguns"...
    AFG on a <26" OAL, <16" barrel pistol = no stamp needed.
    VFG on a <26" OAL, <16" barrel pistol = AOW stamp needed.
    VFG on a >26" OAL, <16" barrel pistol = no stamp needed.
    Can You be more specific? 16" barrel? > Sorry I am confused with Your summary.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    We should be careful not to confuse legality with usefulness here.

AC

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattlesnake View Post
    Can You be more specific? 16" barrel? > Sorry I am confused with Your summary.
    He's saying that if the overall length is greater than 26" and the barrel is less than 16" it is not considered an AOW hence no stamp required.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So if my pistol is 26 oal or greater, I can legally put a vertical grip on it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rattlesnake View Post
    So if my pistol is 26 oal or greater, I can legally put a vertical grip on it?
    On the 4473, was it marked as a "handgun" or as an "other"?
    If it was marked as a "handgun", then you need to get BATFE approval for making an AOW prior to installing a VFG on it.
    If it was marked as an "other", then you do not need to get BATFE approval as long as the OAL is greater than 26".
    Last edited by Quiet; 05-13-11 at 20:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
    On the 4473, was it marked as a "handgun" or as an "other"?
    If it was marked as a "handgun", then you need to get BATFE approval for making an AOW prior to installing a VFG on it.
    If it was marked as an "other", then you do not need to get BATFE approval as long as the OAL is greater than 26".

Still confused. I bought a stripped lower from the classifieds in the sunday journal in a private sale, no gov't involvement. The lower is laser etched pistol only. So nothing was marked on any form I filled out. This is so confusing. But I can use a afg without worry correct?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast