Thread: are 1911 80% frames still out there?

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)

are 1911 80% frames still out there?

i remember when ya could get these all day long......what happened?

Feedback Score
    i think people realized that its not as easy as they think to finish an 60-80% 1911 frame .. even less so if it has to work reliabely

there are still a few companies making tham but mostly on order..

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    well that sucks, guess i might as well get one finished

Feedback Score
    the thing is that the ones available are expensive.. like 300$ if u dont find one sold privately somewhere so unless you really like fiddling and machining theres no reason to go for an 60-80% most are only 60% even when they state its 80%

i myself have not done any work to the 80% 1911 frame i have yet but did a p228 from a 80% frame and a dlask parts kit .. even with good machining and weapon knowledge it wasnt that easy to get it working 100% and reliable .. or let me rephrase .. it took MANY hrs of dremeling grinding filing and sanding to get it 100% after the initial millingwork and they say the 1911 are much harder to get reliable much more unforgiving ..

but in no way impossible but if you dont have good tools/machines and alot of time and a passion for DIY projects then id go for one thats ready to go .. it will save you laot of time and maybe even money

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unless you have access to a machine shop and are experienced with 1911 machining operations, there's no way it's worth it, unless you're really dedicated to having a gun "off the grid."

A Caspian frame will run you less than three bills shipped and transferred.

Feedback Score
    or unless you really like fiddling with building your own .. but as said its a lot of hassle ..

machineshop not nescessary haha remember i saw a forum somewhere where some guy finished his witha dremel lol .. he even used the dremel together with a router table to cut the slide rails..

it did however never include a report on the finished gun .. im doubting it turned out reliable

Quote Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
    Unless you have access to a machine shop and are experienced with 1911 machining operations, there's no way it's worth it, unless you're really dedicated to having a gun "off the grid."

A Caspian frame will run you less than three bills shipped and transferred.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kajen View Post
    or unless you really like fiddling with building your own .. but as said its a lot of hassle ..

machineshop not nescessary haha remember i saw a forum somewhere where some guy finished his witha dremel lol .. he even used the dremel together with a router table to cut the slide rails..

it did however never include a report on the finished gun .. im doubting it turned out reliable
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that pistol probably wasn't running too well. I'm not a machinist, but I would think that a good milling machine would be absolutely necessary to finish a 1911 frame.
    Last edited by crazymoose; 03-15-12 at 13:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that pistol probably wasn't running too well. I'm not a machinist, but I would think that a good milling machine would be absolutely necessary to finish a 1911 frame.

yeah i think ill have my slide rails done on a CNC high end machine when i come to that .. i am allready having some STI 2011 style frames done by a cnc shop so they can get the 1911 frame and fix that as well