Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Bolt Carrier?

Feedback Score

Which Bolt Carrier?

I'm working on my first build. So far I've got a DPMS lower, BM LPK, Tapco T6 stock, and a 16" LMT upper. I will use it for target shooting, home defense, or what ever. I want to buy an LMT bolt and carrier, so I can atleast keep the whole upper LMT. I have experience with M4 and M16 rifles in the Army. So I am leaning towards getting a FA/M16 carrier from LMT. Just because I've used that type of carrier and I know it works. I'm just wondering, what's the difference between the SA and the FA? Which one is better? Which type do you prefer and why?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The 16 carrier is slightly harder to clean in the firing pin collar area. But it's the CORRECT part to have.

I only run the emasculated carriers on the Colts that I have which were equiped with them from the factory. I can't imagine anyone recommending anything but the 16 carrier.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I prefer to use a M16 carrier. The AR family of rifles was designed around using that weight of a carrier. Semi carriers are a little lighter, they have the sear trip area milled off of them.

For M16 carriers I would recommend Colt, BCM, LMT, and FN contracted.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    M 16 Colt or BCM

Feedback Score
    I prefer and would recommend M16 bolt carriers with properly staked carrier key screws.

I use Colt and LMT M16 BCG and others like BCM and FN contracted are good also.

In addition to my LMT M16 BCG on my LMT 16" carbine upper I also upgaded my LMT standard carbine buffer with a LMT heavy buffer.
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    As far as your listed uses, GotM4 answered the question.

RE carrier weight: there is a WIDE variety of weights that will "work."

1) At the extreme heavy end is the M16 carrier. Semi-auto shooters sometimes prefer this carrier based on the belief that its heavier weight carries more forward momentum to strip a round & lock in place even if there is some build up in the upper; this is why CMP/DCM competitors headed to Camp perry select this carrier. As Rob points out, this carrier best fits the original design for the AR platform. A good choice.

2) At the extreme light end, JP Rifles has managed to get a carrier made of 7075-T6 aluminum to function reliably in their rifles for competition only use. NOTE: How do you define "reliable"?? (try asking the military - they are STILL doing "reliability" studies more than 40 years after the AR was designed).

Steel carriers from reputable manufacturers (see GotM4's post) will meet the needs of 99% of users.

Regards,

Douglas

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TY44934 View Post

RE carrier weight: there is a WIDE variety of weights that will "work."
    And weight variances between carrier versions are minimal compared to weight variances in Buffer options.

GotM4 posted the exact weights before.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    And weight variances between carrier versions are minimal compared to weight variances in Buffer options.

GotM4 posted the exact weights before.

Carrier weights:

JP stainless LMOS carrier 6.25oz
    Colt non-shrouded 1/2 circle carrier 8.63oz
    Colt shrouded 1/2 circle carrier 8.87oz
    Bushmaster non-shrouded AR15 carrier 8.92oz
    Bushmaster shrouded AR15 carrier 9.26oz
    CMT M16 carrier 9.46oz
    ARES G35 piston kit M16 carrier 10.54oz
    Bushmaster gas piston AR15 carrier 10.10oz (w/screwed on solid carrier key).

Buffer weights:

CAR buffer 2.96oz
    CMT H2 buffer 4.57oz
    CMT H3 buffer 5.43oz
    Enidine CAR buffer 4.34oz (newest type, softer spring rate)
    Rifle length buffer 5.2oz
    9mm steel buffer 5.6oz
    Colt X buffer 7.9oz

I'll be measuring a low mass Young Mfg carrier probably today. I'm going back to a really light carrier buy don't know yet if I want a stainless Young Mfg or a stainless JP.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Carrier weights:

JP stainless LMOS carrier 6.25oz
    Colt non-shrouded 1/2 circle carrier 8.63oz
    Colt shrouded 1/2 circle carrier 8.87oz
    Bushmaster non-shrouded AR15 carrier 8.92oz
    Bushmaster shrouded AR15 carrier 9.26oz
    CMT M16 carrier 9.46oz
    ARES G35 piston kit M16 carrier 10.54oz
    Bushmaster gas piston AR15 carrier 10.10oz (w/screwed on solid carrier key).

Buffer weights:

CAR buffer 2.96oz
    CMT H2 buffer 4.57oz
    CMT H3 buffer 5.43oz
    Enidine CAR buffer 4.34oz (newest type, softer spring rate)
    Rifle length buffer 5.2oz
    9mm steel buffer 5.6oz
    Colt X buffer 7.9oz

I'll be measuring a low mass Young Mfg carrier probably today. I'm going back to a really light carrier buy don't know yet if I want a stainless Young Mfg or a stainless JP.
    Robb - do you know the weight of aluminum JP LMOS carrier? I though it was a LOT less than the LMOS Stainless 6.25 Oz JP carrier - something on the order of 3 Oz., but it required special spring rates and a light , all-aluminum solid buffer to work properly. Also, I was also considering the Young's stainless competition carrier for use in 3gun (i.e. gunracing for fun); can you drop me a PM on that piece? D.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast