Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Red Gun Lube

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    How long have you let some of this sit for? Do the different parts seperate and layer out?

Also, how thick is it?

Looks interesting.
    So far it does not seem to seperate but I would not be surprised if it did because of the solvent in the Hoppe's which probably would evaporate off if left open. It (this version) is a little thicker than some Militec-1 that I have but much thicker than CLP etc.

The goal here was to have a lube mix that does not run out of the gun, has some cleaning qualities and is heat resistant

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    How long have you let some of this sit for? Do the different parts seperate and layer out?

Also, how thick is it?

Looks interesting.
    From my experience with bug juice, the only separation you get is a thick milky sludge that settles on the bottom. I used to just let it sit for a few days then transfer it to different container, leaving the sludge in the previous one.
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 04-26-12 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2 parts - Good quality motor oil (multi weight)
    2 parts - Good quality ATF
    3 parts - Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer (sort of like STP and you don't need a gallon but it is good for your car too!)
    2 parts - Hoppe's #9
    1 part - Marvel Mystery Oil
    For the most part, I'm one of those guys that likes to use actual gun care products on guns, while still understanding that most will run with just about any decent lubrication. However, I have used synthetic motor oil with good results.

I started with the above mix and found it to be a bit on the thin side. I ended up cutting the Hoppe's down to 1 part and increasing the Lucas HDOS by 1 part. I used Royal Purple 20W50 and Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF. I'll give it a go and see what happens. It would be interesting to hear what a lubrication engineer would tell us about this.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    We used to make this stuff too, ATF, motor oil, cut with Kroil and acetone....I guess it makes sense if you are servicing range/FA/ belt fed mg, simply because it is cheap.
    Today I buy Ballistol by the quart at my farmers co-op, green and clean😀

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    We used to make this stuff too, ATF, motor oil, cut with Kroil and acetone....I guess it makes sense if you are servicing range/FA/ belt fed mg, simply because it is cheap.
    For guns that don't vaporize their lubricant, one can just virtually anything that gets the job done and doesn't cause cancer from skin contact.

But for the AR, and especially a suppressed AR, we must be mindful of things like Benzine that can be created from vaporized motor oil. Highly toxic.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    For guns that don't vaporize their lubricant, one can just virtually anything that gets the job done and doesn't cause cancer from skin contact.

But for the AR, and especially a suppressed AR, we must be mindful of things like Benzine that can be created from vaporized motor oil. Highly toxic.
    I agree, I spray paint/coatings for a living, and have always tried to be smart... Never gave firearms a second thought till my first suppressor.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    See if they can get the gallon size even cheaper 😎

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12