Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The bed side weapon, and hearing protection..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Screw the minimal hearing loss.

If someone's broken into your house in the middle of the night then grab your gun and get to it. Put any thoughts of potential hearing loss out of your mind and focus on the real problem you're about to encounter, and get yourself mentally ready to shoot someone.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    I've read lots of threads about bed side weapons and different ways people are prepared to react when they here that "thump" in the middle of the night. What no one has ever talked about is where they keep hearing protection, or if they even bother to have it on hand. In a rush, I don't' think shoving in earplugs is timely. Electronic ear muffs would be the easiest and may even add to my ability to detect the whereabouts of intruders. Anyone else concerned about ear protection in a home invasion scenario? What's more, how about ear protection for your wife and or children? The long term affect to one's hearing from gun shots outdoors is bad enough. Indoors, the sound affect will be multiplied. Just thinking, how prepared are you?
    My wife and I each have a set of Peltor electronic muffs at the bedside.

I figure it will be worth the extra second to put them on in order to: 1. be able to hear an intruder better than if we weren't wearing the muffs, and 2. protect our hearing.

For those folks who are concerned that they will have zero time to react to the sound of someone attempting to break into their homes, I recommend spending a few hundred bucks to harden their exterior doors, locks, hinges, strikeplates, etc. to slow down anybody trying to enter forcibly.
    Last edited by oldtexan; 06-06-12 at 15:47.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    My wife and I each have a set of Peltor electronic muffs at the bedside.

I figure it will be worth the extra second to put them on in order to: 1. be able to hear an intruder better than if we weren't wearing the muffs, and 2. protect our hearing.

For those folks who are concerned that they will have zero time to react to the sound of someone attempting to break into their homes, I recommend spending a few hundred bucks to harden their exterior doors, locks, hinges, strikeplates, etc. to slow down anybody trying to enter forcibly.
    Don't forget the eye protection . . .
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I wonder how well electronic muffs would work...whether or not they'd mitigate the "tunnel hearing" (auditory exclusion) that fight-or-flight response causes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Don't forget the eye protection . . .
    And shoes. And your body armor. And a pair of handcuffs. And to call 911...

Feedback Score
    The bad guys will wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    And shoes. And your body armor. And a pair of handcuffs. And to call 911...

I was going to say slippers and a plate carrier.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    I've read lots of threads about bed side weapons and different ways people are prepared to react when they here that "thump" in the middle of the night. What no one has ever talked about is where they keep hearing protection, or if they even bother to have it on hand. In a rush, I don't' think shoving in earplugs is timely. Electronic ear muffs would be the easiest and may even add to my ability to detect the whereabouts of intruders. Anyone else concerned about ear protection in a home invasion scenario? What's more, how about ear protection for your wife and or children? The long term affect to one's hearing from gun shots outdoors is bad enough. Indoors, the sound affect will be multiplied. Just thinking, how prepared are you?
    This most certainly has been discussed, at length, before:
    From a few months ago: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100631

Discussion from 09 about HD suppressed/unsuppressed weapons and hearing: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35368

Discussion about comps in HD and hearing:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95994

Another discussion about suppressors in HD:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34156

More stuff about comps inside:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in...p/t-88454.html

More stuff about HD rifles and noise:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=67860

About gear for HD:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=85115

Stuff about pistol suppressors, which includes autitory exclusion mention:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100688

And then I stopped hitting more pages.
    Where did I find all of this information that we apparently never discuss?
    Why, that sneaky little yellow search button.

Believe me, if it existed before yesterday, there's already a thread about it.

ETA: while not pleasant, a few shots indoors isn't going to do much to you.
    I went through 3 combat tours, with quite a few loud booms near me, by me, and from me, without hearing protection of any kind, and according to the hearing testing people I have only had minimal hearing change in 15 years.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    This has been covered.

You don't need ear protection when you're in a fight for your life/your families life.

Just fight/live.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post

Those items all sound great but they've never stopped determined LE from getting their targets, right out of their beds and they're yelling who they are as they knock, announce, and wait before taking the door off of its hinges, and these are tough targets, ones knowing that LE is gunning for them. Paranoia makes for light sleepers. Take it as you will. Making your house "hard" is more about making it an unattractive target, for which I'd recommend fences and walls, motion activated lights, and a linked alarm system with some nice signs. If you have lawn illumination, light up those signs.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast